aberdeen-music

Stage Backdrops

Revel78

My band are thinking of getting a big backdrop made to use at gigs. It will be about 6ft x 10ft, black background with red and white graphics on top (simple design really). Does anyone know where these can be made at a good price?

You're probably looking a heafty price for a durable backdrop type thing. Why not go white sheet projector route? You can change your background from gig to gig then.

You're probably looking a heafty price for a durable backdrop type thing. Why not go white sheet projector route? You can change your background from gig to gig then.

It's difficult to find a safe and secure position for projectors in a lot of venues. They normally end up off to the side so the image is a bit wonky. It also relies on you having the height to get above crowd/band or it won't be so much a backdrop, more of a crap shadow puppet theatre.

@OP

If you're gonna spend the wonga on a backdrop :

A lot of venues don't have a huge amount of height at the back of the stage. Bear this in mind when you design it. not much point having a backdrop if no-one can see the band name cos your lard-ass drummer and his kit are obscuring it.

It should be fire-proofed. Some venues will not let you use it without a current certificate. If you're not planning on playing places like, e.g. the Lemon Tree or you're not bothered if you can't use the backdrop at some gigs then you should be OK but keep in mind that whatever you hang it from might have some very hot lights hanging up there as well.

I've always seen backdrops out-with a large stage set-up to be an unnecessary pain in the arse.

Thanks, I agree that the projector could be difficult to place and could have a crappy look if uneven and obscured. I have considered a design that can be folded if necessary in order to fit smaller venues. thanks for the advise on fire safety - i hadn't considered that!

they probably are a hassle, but whenever I see a band with a backdrop, i find it makes them stand out and look more professional. Maybe its my impressionable mind, but I'm sure it has a subconscious effect on others too!

I spent alot of time looking around and i think the best deal is at bandbanners.co.uk or something like that. Its not particuarly cheap but you really need to get one made out of polyester fabric if you want a professional quality banner. We bought ours a while ago and im looking at getting another even bigger one and i'll probably go back to them. They do full colour and can work to a deadline too which is always helpfull.

yeah our Ascension one looks really good, but its a bit small at the moment. definatly need to get a big one, i think ours is 2 or 3ft by like 6. cant remember....it was expensive even for that though! 170+ i think.

definatly go with that place fraser suggested, the quality is awesome, proper polyester fabric, no tarpaulin or cheap plastic shite. its stood up to all the festivals, gigs and our last tour we've used it at and still looks brand new lol!

Thanks for all the posts. I had a look on the band banners site, I think we will go with that. Personally, I think it does make the band look more organised and stand out. Sure, you eventually live or die by the music, but not every punter is a muscician, so its good to have some visual impact. Its not the be all or end all, but they do look quite jazzy!

• 3 weeks later...