aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Shaki

Thatcher not dead

The opening line to this article made me chuckle.

BBC NEWS | Americas | 'Thatcher dead' text sparks fears

The Iron Lady lives on. State Funeral when she does kick the bucket?

Probably. I'm not sure she should really have one, based on the wishes of the populace as she was a divisive leader, but I'm sure she still has her fans in high places who will arrange it for her.

I'm a huge supporter of Tony Blair being given a similar honour, as long as it's before 2012.:up:

Probably. I'm not sure she should really have one, based on the wishes of the populace as she was a divisive leader, but I'm sure she still has her fans in high places who will arrange it for her.

I'm a huge supporter of Tony Blair being given a similar honour, as long as it's before 2012.:up:

A celebration of his life.......ending?

I don't want to be paying shit for Margaret Thatcher when she kicks the bucket. Her embezzling, coup organising son can pay for it. Oh, and her racist daughter.

When I saw the headline, my immediate thought was "yup, friday the 13th alright".

I'd imagine pretty much the entire population of Scotland will want to attend a state funeral for Thatcher, just to make sure the bitch is actually dead.

I had a tutorial last semester that somehow consisted of myself and nine Thatcherites. It was an absolute stinker of a class, try engaging in a debate with a bunch of Tarquins and Daisys who are unable to formulate a better argument than "she woz good 4 da econmy innit lol". They can shove a straight funeral up their hoop.

They could save on expenses by letting us build a funeral pyre out of old mine props, then set her on fire with a zippo. Her being dead or otherwise is relatively inconsequential.

The question: Who gets a state funeral? | Politics | The Guardian

I was looking for a list of people who have previously received this honour and I found this article. Interesting to read who got the big showy send off in history. I can't say she really compares. She was definitely a stand out leader, whether you love her or loathe her, but this is in the light of our post-war mediocrity.

I think I should get a state funeral more than her.

(I did have "state funeral before her" and then realised what I was actually about to submit. It's been a long day.)

Even now the Conservative's share of the vote in Scotland is pretty healthy, it just tends not to be reflected in the number of seats won using the FPTP system.

16.6% of the vote at the last election, not especially healthy.

As for a state funeral, I can't think of a single British subject currently alive more deserving of one.

We just wanted you to say it. Thanks :laughing:

As for a state funeral, I can't think of a single British subject currently alive more deserving of one.

I agree with this. The crumbly old wifey deserves a stuffy, old fashioned, extremely expensive send off.

I mentioned this rumour to my Dad. His reaction;

"Oh. Glad she's not dead. I'd still give 'er one, even now."

I'm not sure what shocked me more; the revealation itself, or the candour with which he so freely expressed it.

I mentioned this rumour to my Dad. His reaction;

"Oh. Glad she's not dead. I'd still give 'er one, even now."

I'm not sure what shocked me more; the revealation itself, or the candour with which he so freely expressed it.

Well, he is a business owner. They all want a shotty.

She is definitely much more popular than her predecessors or her successors as Conservative leader.

I disagree strongly with this however. John Major was essentially Zac Efron with glasses. Total dream boat.

• Upvote 1

When she finally dies, I think that her head should be dismembered, her heart removed and fired into the sun. Just to be on the safe side.

zombie+thatcher.jpg

It may not be enough to prevent this. I suspect her powers of regeneration could prove to be quite remarkable. We should freeze her body and bury her in Antarctica. It'll buy us some time, at least.

Healthier than the Lib Dems, at any rate. Current polling suggests the Tories will retain their place as Scotland's third most popular party. Not bad, considering their meagre vote share/seats ratio.

The point still stands that Thatcher commanded around a third of the vote in Scotland during her time in office, more than any other Conservative leader in the last 30 years.

0.4 of a percent more across the country, but neither are what I would particularly "healthy". Presumably when the doctor tells you you've got 16% kidney function you'll consider yourself healthy.

• Upvote 2

try engaging in a debate with a bunch of Tarquins and Daisys who are unable to formulate a better argument than "she woz good 4 da econmy innit lol".

She quite clearly wasn't good for the economy based on the huge rise in unemployment during her time in power (1979-1990).

unemployment-71-05-736290.gif

.....and it's taken from this economics website Economics Essays: Unemployment in the UK