aberdeen-music

Buying Whisky

Adam Easy Wishes

Is that the Cadenhead one? I got a special bottling of Caol Ila from there a few years back. It cost me most of my holiday money and at 63% was too powerful for anything other than cleaning wounds and warding off demons. I bought it in April and it was still kicking about at Hogmanay. Try before you buy, if they offer you the opportunity.

I can't remember, could be. There was a dog sleeping in the window. It was also the least touristy whisky shop on the whole street. Everywhere else was selling Glenfiddich with a 25% markup on oddbins or supermarket prices but this place had genuinely interesting stock at something a bit more like reasonable costs.

Hell yeah, that stuff is awesome. Have you tried Ardbeg Supernova?

I've never tried it. Will have to make a point of acquiring some at some point in the future.

I've enjoyed pretty much any of the standard malts that I've had the pleasure of trying so far. Some people only like Eastern Highland and Speyside Malts and others mainly like Western Isles malts but I like all the ones I've tried although some more than others.

Some more local ones are good also such as Glen Garicoch at Old Meldrum and Fettercairn on the border of Angus/Aberdeenshire but officially in Angus.

Chivas Regal was also apparently founded in 1801 in Aberdeen but now based at Strathisla Distillery in Keith. I consider it to be good enough quality that it stands up against some malts.

Some more local ones are good also such as Glen Garicoch at Old Meldrum and Fettercairn on the border of Angus/Aberdeenshire but officially in Angus.

Both distilleries are charming wee places and well worth the visit. Like Spoonie, I also have a line on cheap Fettercairn, win! Nae a big fan of the Glen Garioch though.

:up:

PS: Pedantic edit - Fettercairn is officially in Aberdeenshire. :D

According to my girlfriend who recently worked for Angus Council, they claim the distillery is in Angus. But she suspects the village itself is in Aberdeenshire.

Having checked the address though visitscotland have it as:

Fettercairn Distillery

Distillery Road

Fettercairn

Aberdeenshire

AB30 1YE

Scotland

According to my girlfriend who recently worked for Angus Council, they claim the distillery is in Angus. But she suspects the village itself is in Aberdeenshire.

Having checked the address though visitscotland have it as:

Fettercairn Distillery

Distillery Road

Fettercairn

Aberdeenshire

AB30 1YE

Scotland

Correct. The Aberdeenshire/Angus divide is the River North Esk: anything north/east of it is the Shire, south/west is Angus. That explains why Edzell is in Angus, and Edzell Woods (the housing stock sold off when the military base closed down) is not, if you didn't know.

:up: