aberdeen-music

Buying Whisky

Adam Easy Wishes

Looking for decent places in town to buy less 'mainstream' malts (for want of a better word).

Any recommendations on good places to buy at reasonable prices?

I know the Costcutter in Dyce of all places is brilliant, but it's far from handy for me.

Also, if you like a malt whisky what is your favourite? I'd like to try some that are new to me but recommendations would be most welcome.

I've never had a proper look, but Peckhams on Union St look like they stock loads and loads of Whisky's. Personal favourites are Macallan, Balvenie and Laphroig but I'm guessing they all come under "mainstream". I'm not sure if it's technically a single malt, or even a whisky, but Jack Daniels do this single barrel reserve (possibly not called this, but along these lines) that I'm a big fan of, but not seen it anywhere except duty free in airports.

Lagavulin is my favourite.

Not sure what you mean by mainstream whiskies. The best malts are generally well known and they don't come cheap! Oddbins or Peckhams (although I've never shopped there either) will stock them all.

I'd love to have the self control to build up a malt collection. I've tried and failed a number of times!

Yeah, Peckham's does have quite a good selection. Oddbins will order in for you. These may help if you fancy buying online:

Whisky Shop | Scotch Whisky | Irish Whiskey

Buy malt whisky online at Single Malts Direct Scotland

If it's something new you want, why not pop into The Grill and ask the locals / bar staff for some reccomendations (and of course sample a few!).

When getting a bottle for the Girlfriends dad's x-mas I went here andgot a bottle of Coleburn:

Malt whisky, Scotch whisky & more - Whisky shop - Master of Malt

They're not too bad prices, the Coleburn Distillery is owned by a friend of mine who has been trying to turn it into a avenue amongst other things for the past few years, so i decided to see what the old Whiskeyu tasted of and this was about the cheapest, some are expensive but definitely a lot of rarer and more unique stuff here.

Peckhams and Oddbins are pretty much the best in town. Though I did notice that Hammerton Store on Great Western Road sells Duncan and Taylor bottlings which you probably won't find in the mainstream shops.

To be honest if I'm looking for something different I usually go to the single malts direct website (Buy malt whisky online at Single Malts Direct Scotland). They have a shop in Huntly and really know they're stuff. Usually have good offers on that you won't find in supermarkets or off licences, but you have to add postage on top of the price.

For peaty whisky I love Talisker, but can't drink a lot of it. For speysides I really like Balvenie, Aberlour and Royal Lochnagar. Glendronach is nice as well, had a really good taste of that at a whisky tasting organised through work with the single malts direct guys.

Ah someone already linked to single malts direct while I was posting.

A couple of weeks ago I was in The College and asked them what whisky they had. The barman asked if I wanted a blend or single malt, to which I answered single malt and he turned as though that was the end of the discussion. I stopped him and asked which single malts they had only to have "all of them" answered in return.

Ignoring my disbelief for a second I realised he probably doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and so took a guess at what they were likely to have and just ordered a Macallan to be done with it.

Caol Ila, Ardbeg and Highland Park are favourites.

Try and get the Still Young and Almost there Ardbeg if you want "different" whiskies. Also their Supernova is particularly special, it is heavily peated so if you are limp of wrist it would be best to avoid it.

Highland Park 16 year old is the bottle I'm on just now, totally different to the 12 and 15 year olds.

Had a bottle of Benromach 21 Year Old that I got for my 21st and kept until last year when I realised that was a stupid thing to do so I opened it and drank it. Awesome stuff, worth the 65 punt.

If you want something a little different try and get a bottle of single grain whisky.

I got a bottle of cask strength Carsebridge 1979 from Duncan and Taylor's that's amazing. Also tasted a brilliant Invergordon from D&Ts as well that was awesome. Unfortunately 2 of my colleagues got the last bottles.

The best thing to do is go to tastings or just set aside an evening to visit The Grill and try some stuff from their whisky menu. You're bound to discover some new ones you like.

I didn't like whisky at all until about six years ago I guess that happens. Smirnoff Ice is starting to taste like pish to me too :puke:

Gads. It's like that lemon soup joke. I myself am a recent convert to a wee nip, which I take about half an hour to drink with some water on the side. I see this as the civilised middle way of boozing :up:

The only time there should be water in whisky is if you are drinking it outside in the rain!

Yeah man, I agree. I have it on the side like I said, to hydrate and cleanse the pallet.

And while I'm agnostic on the blended whiskys and the American Whiskeys being mixed with Coca-Cola, it's obviously jihad if you do that with a single malt.

Incorrect.

Whisky needs a splash of water to release the full aroma/flavour.

Not quite, at the tasting I went to with the guy from singlemalts/duncan and taylor we were advised that some whisky can benefit from a few drops of water to open it up, but not all.

It very much depends on the whisky in question.

And while I'm agnostic on the blended whiskys and the American Whiskeys being mixed with Coca-Cola, it's obviously jihad if you do that with a single malt.

Obviously you mean shit blended whiskys. There are actually good ones on the market that would also be a waste to mix with anything.

Though I can see an argument for using decent whisky in a proper cocktail like a whisky sour or rusty nail. Like cooking with wine, if you're not prepared to drink it you shouldn't be prepared to cook with it.