aberdeen-music

WANTED: Valve Amp

Huw

I'm looking to buy myself a decent guitar valve amp for christmas and was wondering if anybody had considered selling theirs. I've been looking at vintage ones (your carlsbro top 50s, simms watts, WEM, sound city etc as well as more trad vintage like jcm 800s), but only really on ebay.

So if anybody who posts on here has a nice valve amp they'd be willing to let go... holler! I'd consider pretty much anything, old or new from 30 watts to 100watts (preferably about 50). I'd probably prefer a head, but I'd consider combos aswell.

If you've got anything please get in touch.

Thanks.

Well because I was looking at vintagey stuff it was around 250-350, but like I say if the price is right my overdraft might be able to take a hit.

I'm sick of playing through my HH so quietly and want a giggable guitar amp.

Fender Bassman head! Fender Bassman head! One of my favourite things in the world.

If it's a combo you're looking for, the Fender Hot Rods are ace. Not vintage, sure, but great value / sound / reliable !

Fender Bassman head! Fender Bassman head! One of my favourite things in the world.

If it's a combo you're looking for, the Fender Hot Rods are ace. Not vintage, sure, but great value / sound / reliable !

They go dead cheap some times too. It's finding one that is the problem. Good for recording bass with too, according to Sam L4.

Hot Rods are good, deluxe is a little small if I decided to do some rotten hardcore I reckon. Devilles are nice if I got the distortion modded or summat. I think they're a bit over priced new though - would take one second hand for sure!

As Huw remarked, Bassman heads are a finite commodity. They're also pre-PCB and should be rebuildable as long as valve amps are made.

Jumping the channels together gives a third option of gorgeous tones. If I was selling my '72- or buying another (Blackface, please!)- I'd think 400 was a reasonable point to argue around.

As Huw remarked, Bassman heads are a finite commodity. They're also pre-PCB and should be rebuildable as long as valve amps are made.

Jumping the channels together gives a third option of gorgeous tones. If I was selling my '72- or buying another (Blackface, please!)- I'd think 400 was a reasonable point to argue around.

Yeah the more I look around and stuff, seems the 400 is a pretty decent price for a thoroughly decent amp. Gonna have a long hard think about what I want. Watch a lot of you tube vids and try some out for myself. Spending on my bass head (even in the current climate of abidy being broke) was the best decision I have ever made, and I think maybe stretching my budget a bit now will give me long term happiness and, most importantly - tone.

Huw - are you still looking? I have a all valve Laney GH100L head plus a matching 4x12 angle cab that I rarely use if you're interested. I bought them new in the mid-late 90's from Chandlers in Kew (based on reviews of a number of new boutique-type amps I read at the time). It sounds great, and was unusual at the time because you can use either 6L6s or EL34s (it has a bias switch). Another cool thing is the effects loop return can be set to bypass, series or parallel (with a blend pot). Check out reviews on Harmony Central (Laney GH100L: Harmony Central User Reviews) and if interested you can try it out at our rehearsal place in central Aberdeen.

Genuine reason for sale by the way (too many amps!).

Spike