aberdeen-music

Hacking and Internet Fraud help

kirkt

Yesterday I discovered that my e-mail and facebook passwords had been changed, as they were both the same I realised that my account must have been hacked which alerted me to check my Paypal account (of which the password was strangely not changed) and discovered that 100 had been transferred out of my account. I have marked this as an unauthorised claim, placed limitations on my account and changed my password and as of this morning, have managed to access my e-mail. I discovered that the 100 was paid to a company called WOW cards and in exchange for my money, the hacker received two 24-digit codes for "Burst Its Bank" and "Edith". Has anyone idea what these could be for?

And now my passwords/security questions have been changed, how safe are my accounts? Will this hacker still be able to access information?

cheers

Ive had a quick look on the net.

What i think they have bought it a "Loot Card" for world of warcraft, apparently you buy what ever loot you want on a card, enter the code to the site, and get a 24 digit code that you say to one of the ingame characters and they give you said loot,

Im guessing that Burst its bank is the loot, and edith is the character you get it from?

Im guessing from what ive read when searching "WOWCARDS 24 DIGIT CODE" in google

And now my passwords/security questions have been changed, how safe are my accounts? Will this hacker still be able to access information?

Your accounts should be safe once you've changed your passwords etc.

Probably worth doing a virus scan on your computer in case there's something logging passwords, but it's unlikely. Chances are they just did a brute force attack on your email or facebook and once they had the password they tried it with other popular services that use your email address and got lucky.

8o

What is a brute force attack?

They just have a program running that keeps trying passwords until it gets one that works. It's why you should have nice long, complex passwords (with a mixture of lower and upper case letters, numbers and special characters) as it makes the attacks much less effective.

A strong enough password or passphrase should put the average time for a computer to guess it into years rather than hours.