aberdeen-music

Modern Warfare 2 controversy

Teabags

This is going to get ripped to shreds.

Infinity Ward has confirmed controversial footage showing civilians being gunned down by terrorists in an airport. The footage will appear in the game as a skippable segment, covered by a confirmation screen that players will have to acknowledge before experiencing the content.

"The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the players mission to stop them," explains Infinity Ward. "Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two 'checkpoints' where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints cant be disabled.

"Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older."

Infinity Ward looks like it's covering its bases with this hot topic, but try telling that to the legions of reactionary Americans who are just waiting in the wings to get offended by this rather touchy imagery. I fully support what Infinity Ward is trying to do it seems like a really great story could come out of the game, but I am not looking forward to the accusations of tastelessness and trivialization that FOX News and the other mainstream vultures will predictably launch into We all saw what happened when Six Days in Fallujah was merely suggested.

I agree. But it's going to be interesting to see what comes out of Fox news etc etc like with Mass Effect and GTA IV. The Mass Effect debate was hilarious. Especially when they all admitted they hadn't seen the scene in question, then after seeing it, retracted all their statements. Twats.

I think it's more controversial to have a shitty matchmaking service on the PC version, essentially making dedicated servers obsolete just so Infinity Ward can control all the content (in short, you will have to pay for your shitty maps just like on the consoles). No clan servers, custom mods, nothing.

Furthermore, they also announced that there will only be 18 players per server instead of 32.

I am looking forward to pirating this game and wishing I was playing TF2.

I don't get it. In the intro of CoD4 you clearly see a line of people being executed.

Brown people, though. Maybe this is the problem?

Also, RE: Mass Effect. Wow, nudity in this game!! Wowzers. Too much for America, maybe? Have they seen God of War?? It's got titties, interactive shagging and Kratos invites the bitches to get tha fuck out when he is done.

I don't get it. In the intro of CoD4 you clearly see a line of people being executed.

Also, RE: Mass Effect. Wow, nudity in this game!! Wowzers. Too much for America, maybe? Have they seen God of War?? It's got titties, interactive shagging and Kratos invites the bitches to get tha fuck out when he is done.

Brown people? What are you talking about?

Haha, "brown people" :p

I'm still confused! In the game you play Russians gunning down an airport full of (lots of different types of) people!

Well, I can't afford the game so I don't know this. I assumed it was a bunch of fat American kids being gunned down by some Arab.

Who looks like a dirty wizard, or maybe a homeless Santa. I blame the media....

Well, I can't afford the game so I don't know this. I assumed it was a bunch of fat American kids being gunned down by some Arab.

Who looks like a dirty wizard, or maybe a homeless Santa. I blame the media....

Stop, please. If i was a schoolgirl there would be a steady stream of piss running down my legs just now...

• 4 weeks later...

Slight resurrection, but I played this when it came out.

It's a dark section that is supposed to be uncomfortable to play. The point is to demonstrate Makarov's evil nature

And make your subsequent alliegance with him that more chilling

Considering it on its own it's a pointless massacre which is just tasteless. But considering it as part of a story about war, it's just an uncomfortable moment in the telling of a story aimed at a mature audience.

It's made more uncomfortable by the fact that the terrorists are well dressed in smart suits. They are cool and extremely calculated. One of the most chilling sights of that entire section was near the end of the massacre where you see one of the other terrorists standing on the balcony shooting over the edge at all the people down there. It's completely cold and emotionless and a stark comment on the terrorists attitudes to the disposable nature of human life. Like, perhaps the exact emotions that should be exhibited by a game depicting a terrorist attack.

I dont for one second buy the it's like GTA arguement. At no point in GTA is the player asked to gun down as many unarmed, defenceless, screaming and begging civillians. And if the player chooses to do this of their own accord the police very quickly start chasing the player down and then swiftly escalate to sending helicopters and heavily armed swat teams. The civillians also do not beg for their lives, nor do they run away screaming in fear.

Yes it was controversial but the only thing I have to say to that is,

"We can have all entertainment completely appropriate for every single age, race and sex in the country, or we can have content aimed at different ages / races and mark the content appropriately so people make informed choices on what content the want to play"

The former would result in some pretty bloody boring entertainment. The only thing we would be able to watch is CBBC.

Slight resurrection, but I played this when it came out.

It's a dark section that is supposed to be uncomfortable to play. The point is to demonstrate Makarov's evil nature

And make your subsequent alliegance with him that more chilling

Considering it on its own it's a pointless massacre which is just tasteless. But considering it as part of a story about war, it's just an uncomfortable moment in the telling of a story aimed at a mature audience.

It's made more uncomfortable by the fact that the terrorists are well dressed in smart suits. They are cool and extremely calculated. One of the most chilling sights of that entire section was near the end of the massacre where you see one of the other terrorists standing on the balcony shooting over the edge at all the people down there. It's completely cold and emotionless and a stark comment on the terrorists attitudes to the disposable nature of human life. Like, perhaps the exact emotions that should be exhibited by a game depicting a terrorist attack.

I dont for one second buy the it's like GTA arguement. At no point in GTA is the player asked to gun down as many unarmed, defenceless, screaming and begging civillians. And if the player chooses to do this of their own accord the police very quickly start chasing the player down and then swiftly escalate to sending helicopters and heavily armed swat teams. The civillians also do not beg for their lives, nor do they run away screaming in fear.

Yes it was controversial but the only thing I have to say to that is,

"We can have all entertainment completely appropriate for every single age, race and sex in the country, or we can have content aimed at different ages / races and mark the content appropriately so people make informed choices on what content the want to play"

The former would result in some pretty bloody boring entertainment. The only thing we would be able to watch is CBBC.

Cool story, bro'.

You do realise you have practically essayed about a computer game, right?