aberdeen-music

Anyone teach recording techniques?

Hog

I'm trying to get a home studio set up on my PA using Adobe Audition 3.

Basically, I use a drum machine, Line 6 UX2 and microphone.

I'm needing someone to show me a bit about compression, mixing and preferably how to use Plugins (especially for making choirs and mega epic layering of vocals)

Would pay someone.:up:

Indeed there is a gap in the market.

I would be happy to treat it like guitar lessons i.e. pay for tuition.

If I had the time for trial and error that would be great but I work around 80 hours per week.

Would be really ideal if someone could just show me the basics behind vst plugins, compression, eq etc.

Anyone?

If I had the time for trial and error that would be great but I work around 80 hours per week.

Would be really ideal if someone could just show me the basics behind vst plugins, compression, eq etc.

Anyone?

So would I actually. Last week it took me countless hours trying to figure out how to assign sliders and knobs on a midi controller to the controls of just one VST instrument and even after raking through pages on the internet it wasn't easy to find answers. Are there any MIDI/DAW experts that use this site?

Anyone?

Setting up the software/hardware can be taught. More subjective stuff like EQ. compression etc is best learned by trial and error.

Take compression as an example. There are very few controls to learn the function of and there's plenty articles on the interweb to do that. There's also plenty of places that'll show you good starting points for particular instruments in particular genres. After that it's all subjective and depends very much on your source material and intended result.

Basically I would love to have something resembling this..

YouTube - The Devin Townsend Project - Numbered

Layers and layers but not so chaotic that you can't make out what's going on. I love wall of sound.

Devin recorded this album for around $12000 including practice space, flights for the female guest vocalist, photography, artwork.

I know he "red-lights" the compression to avoid the layers sounding like mush.

Basically I would love to have something resembling this..

YouTube - The Devin Townsend Project - Numbered

Layers and layers but not so chaotic that you can't make out what's going on. I love wall of sound.

Devin recorded this album for around $12000 including practice space, flights for the female guest vocalist, photography, artwork.

I know he "red-lights" the compression to avoid the layers sounding like mush.

Like the sound of that, epic!

If you were using Cubase I'd show you what I know for nothing, I just do it for fun. It's getting familiar with your software that is the hard part and is the time consuming bit initially. I'm not up on midi but pretty sure that's not what you're after. Once you have your source material mixing it using plugins for processing is a lot about just using your ears. That and having good plugins to use. Not saying I'm great at it but would be able to give you a leg up.

Same with you Ca_Gear when you get back from France.

Agree greatly with Jeid and Ian on this one.

Mixing and engineering is something that takes a lot of trial and error and the development of a good ear. It's not something that can be learned quickly.

EQ is everything, and it's worth reading up as much on that as possible - to understand exactly where and why you need to create space in the mix for various instruments.

Same goes for compression; it's an amazing tool but utterly dangerous/useless in the hands of someone who doesn't know why or where to use it.

If you're serious about recording, you really need to spend hours/weeks/years researching and learning as much as possible. Experimenting and then understanding yourself will help you greatly in the long run.

I'd heavily recommend the Sneap forums, like Jeid says. Don't burst in with noob questions like "how do you get a good guitar tone?" etc etc. Instead scan every page of threads from the very start (about 2002/03!) and read all the threads that seem like they will answer your questions. I did this a couple of years ago and it was beyond helpful.

Good luck :up: