aberdeen-music

The Execution Of Gary Glitter

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

It's a drama shot in the style of a documentary, set in an alternative world in which Britain has reinstated the death penalty - and the first target of its divine justice is the public hanging of everyone's favourite pop paedo, G.Glitter esq.

I was speechless when I saw the ad for it, mostly because I thought for a second that Paul Gadd himself was appearing in it - turns out it's actually an actor after all.

It's a drama shot in the style of a documentary, set in an alternative world in which Britain has reinstated the death penalty - and the first target of its divine justice is the public hanging of everyone's favourite pop paedo, G.Glitter esq.

I was speechless when I saw the ad for it, mostly because I thought for a second that Paul Gadd himself was appearing in it - turns out it's actually an actor after all.

No, i know what it's about, i'm confused as to why it exists or why somebody thought it might be a good idea or make for good viewing. It's like teasing us or something.

Guest Gladstone

It could be interesting, depending how the issues attached to capital punishment are addressed. I've heard a lot of people in recent years saying the death penalty should come back. I often say something like "it's not that simple though because how can you be 100% sure that you're executing the correct person? The standard of proof in a criminal court is "beyond reasonable doubt". Is that enough to justify ending someone's life?"

"Aye, but you'd have to be really sure I suppose"

Just doesn't work.

Add to the debate the fact that someone would actually have to administer the lethal injection / press the button / pull the trigger / kick the stool away / whatever. What would killing people for a living to do the mental state of someone who just used to lock the prison door for example? If it was a lethal injection, you need someone medically qualified to administer it (I'd imagine). That goes against all the principles of being a doctor. Can't remember what the oath is called that doctors sign up to, but it's basically that they do everything in the best interests and to protect their patients. I'd imagine killing someone doesn't come into it. There are interesting debates surrounding euthanasia, given that it may be in the best interests of the patient to minimise suffering etc. but this is obviously a massively different situation.

I think the death penalty debate could be an interesting one - more from the point of view of showing people why the death penalty shouldn't be used. Yes Gary Glitter's crimes against children are fucking terrible and he should be kept very very far away from children because he poses a real danger to them, but I'd go as far to say that he must be pretty screwed up to carry out these acts, and it's probably not entirely his fault as to what goes on in his mind, so he doesn't deserve to die. Someone who kills another human being on purpose whatever the motive in some people's eyes does deserve to die, but I don't think it's the morally correct thing to do, and it would lead us down a very dark road as a nation and a society.

If it was a lethal injection, you need someone medically qualified to administer it (I'd imagine). That goes against all the principles of being a doctor. Can't remember what the oath is called that doctors sign up to, but it's basically that they do everything in the best interests and to protect their patients. I'd imagine killing someone doesn't come into it. There are interesting debates surrounding euthanasia, given that it may be in the best interests of the patient to minimise suffering etc. but this is obviously a massively different situation.

Nope, it cannot be someone medically trained because of the Hippocratic Oath. That Horizon episode with Michael Portillo "How To Kill A Human Being" found that the technicians employed to administer the leathal injection were causing pain and suffering because they couldn't find veins or they punched straight through them into the tissue underneath.

how about we make it some gladiator spectacle, 2 murderers fighting to the death, the surviving one gets 15 years in the jail, spectators pay money and they could have multiple murderers running about too.

Do this with rapists then tell the one who is the survivor that he must chemically castrate himself on live tv and spend 5-10 years in prison

could work heh