aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Bands & Peel Sessions

ragudave

Wow' date=' Sutherland Brothers & Quiver were from Buckie? I never knew that.

I think their guitarist Tim Renwick is a sideman for Pink Floyd now. Is he from Buckie too?[/quote']

I thought the Sutherland Brothers were from Buckie, but, on checking, Iain was born in Ellon, and Gavin in Peterhead. Tim Renwick was from way down south somewhere.

Kitchen Cynics.........................born in Summerhill Maternity Hospital (now demolished)

Ian Slater is in a band called Pablo' date='(buy their CD it's fantastic), with Paul Fyfe of Coast and the Loveless drummer.Ian has been doing the tour mixing desk for Keane.They plan a new CD later this year.Pablo played in the Triple Kirks and also The Lemon Tree supporting Eighties Matchbox B line disaster.Fucking great, LOUD AS HELL ,louder than Dick Dale or Motorhead.[/quote']

Ahh, :ding: thats the band you were enthusing over ages ago

Ill check em oot now youve reminded me

I also love the Swell Maps' date=' and have been on comp.albums with Jowe Head. *cue Jowe Head story* I was once drinking with him before a TVPs gig in Edinburgh, and a slow VERY repetitive three chord ambient thingy came on the jukebox...after about two minutes of it we got into a deep discussion about Terry Riley, Gavin Bryars etc. Then the barman came over, said "That fucking jukebox keeps sticking!", gave it a thump and the tune carried on into some cheerfully bland pop song. We were embarrassed, but not much, as we were both pretty pished.

Kitchen Cynics................................aiming for a Me FM session.........................

____________________________________________________________________[/quote']

I know Nikkis still mates with Jowe. And the other one....Richard Cockerill or something? He got me to post stuff to them a while back. Hes coming over from Berlin later this year.....for a 'greatest hits' tour ...so we are trying to get some scottish dates organised. He will probably do Maps tunes in his set. :band: FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

He very kindly offered to produce our LP when he comes over but we were warned off by his own producer who told us we would spend one hour a day recording and the other 23 eating lots of drugs while Nikki was smashing up guitars and the album would sound shit as a result. Hes obviously a genius!

It might still be worth the risk, just for the experience!

Have you heard any of the late Epic Soundtracks solo albums. Some of it was very gentle, introspective stuff.................most appealing.

Kitchen Cynics....................................booking tickets for Marineville tomorrow!............

Dave.......if you want to get the list of Abdn Peel bands to a round 10, then you could include Momus, as Nick Currie went to University here.

Kitchen Cynics.............off to help old ladies cross the road (against their wishes!)........

It might still be worth the risk' date=' just for the experience!

Have you heard any of the late Epic Soundtracks solo albums. Some of it was very gentle, introspective stuff.................most appealing.

Kitchen Cynics....................................booking tickets for Marineville tomorrow!............[/quote']

It did cross my mind that it would be the equivalent of a Jim'll Fix It type thing....''Jim fixed it for me to play music and take Class A drugs with my favorite punk rock legend who isnt dead''. Cue music.

But I bottled it on the advice of a geezer I respect and trust (Jon Rivers....nicest man on the planet !) Do you know him too?

I really should get hold of some of Epics stuff. I always liked the gentler maps songs with the toy pianos and thats a few people said his stuff is worth a listen. Probably my favorite Drummer of all time too. Full on - all the time with chaotic fills. That wee rascal Biz has a similar stylee. And isnt dead.

''Epic Epic We're Recording Now Epic!'' - :up:

Jeez' date=' why didn't I know this? I'd love to see Glen playing drums again. Any idea when they're playing next? Funnily enough I thought I saw Paul in Aberdeen recently too, are they all based back here now?[/quote']

No, Paul has been up a few times in the last year with bands and he normally comes up with Slater around christmas to visit family/friends. He's working in the Barfly in Camden if my hazy memories of the after-gig piss-ups serve me well.

It did cross my mind that it would be the equivalent of a Jim'll Fix It type thing....''Jim fixed it for me to play music and take Class A drugs with my favorite punk rock legend who isnt dead''. Cue music.:

It would have to be renamed "Jim Got Me A Fix"!

No, I don't know Jon Rivers. I don't really know Jowe Head either...just had a few drinks with him once, but know a couple of guys who have more contact with him (the Notorious Buss Brothers). They put out comps with TVPs, HeadHunters, and even me. One of the albums had every track introduced by Joe Foster (Slaughter Joe), which was fun!

Kitchen Cynics..................................carry on dreaming your magnificent dreams......