aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Bands & Peel Sessions

ragudave

& you all forgot about the very wonderful APB' date=' who I think played three Peel sessions & were a Peel favourite for two or three years.

What happened to them?[/quote']

Aye APB became Loveless then split up ? Alan you are the font of all knowledge...

Dave

Aye APB became Loveless then split up ? Alan you are the font of all knowledge...

Dave

Yes, APB became the Loveless, and they were incredible. Blew away everyone else with consummate ease, so powerful. The drummer totally floored me (not literally). I'm sure I saw Ian Slater in Aberdeen just recently.

Yes' date=' APB became the Loveless, and they were incredible. Blew away everyone else with consummate ease, so powerful. The drummer totally floored me (not literally). I'm sure I saw Ian Slater in Aberdeen just recently.[/quote']

Yes I must play that Loveless single tonight... So that makes something like 9 Aberdeen area bands who have done a Peel Session - more than I thought.

BTW Alan are you trying to tell us you used to listen to Kid Jensen...

Dave

And Lenny was also in one of my favourite bands...the Television Personalities!

Kitchen Cynics........................where Bothy meets Pretentious Art Wank.................

Television Personlities!...one of my faves too :up:

So this Lenny is one of the Downroads?.... ooh....also a very fine beat combo

He maybe kens my pal Nikki Sudden out of the Swell Maps....Im sure there was a connection to the TVPs at some point

tiz indeed a small whirled

Television Personlities!...one of my faves too :up:

So this Lenny is one of the Downroads?.... ooh....also a very fine beat combo

He maybe kens my pal Nikki Sudden out of the Swell Maps....Im sure there was a connection to the TVPs at some point

tiz indeed a small whirled

I also love the Swell Maps, and have been on comp.albums with Jowe Head. *cue Jowe Head story* I was once drinking with him before a TVPs gig in Edinburgh, and a slow VERY repetitive three chord ambient thingy came on the jukebox...after about two minutes of it we got into a deep discussion about Terry Riley, Gavin Bryars etc. Then the barman came over, said "That fucking jukebox keeps sticking!", gave it a thump and the tune carried on into some cheerfully bland pop song. We were embarrassed, but not much, as we were both pretty pished.

Dave........I cheated, really, and checked out some of the better Aberdeen bands in Ken Garner's "In Session Tonight" book. Mind you I seem to recall listening to an excellent Julian Cope session on Kid Jensen once.

Kitchen Cynics................................aiming for a Me FM session.........................

Pablo

Ian Slater is in a band called Pablo,(buy their CD it's fantastic), with Paul Fyfe of Coast and the Loveless drummer.Ian has been doing the tour mixing desk for Keane.They plan a new CD later this year.Pablo played in the Triple Kirks and also The Lemon Tree supporting Eighties Matchbox B line disaster.Fucking great, LOUD AS HELL ,louder than Dick Dale or Motorhead.

Ian Slater is in a band called Pablo' date='(buy their CD it's fantastic), with Paul Fyfe of Coast and the Loveless drummer.Ian has been doing the tour mixing desk for Keane.They plan a new CD later this year.Pablo played in the Triple Kirks and also The Lemon Tree supporting Eighties Matchbox B line disaster.Fucking great, LOUD AS HELL ,louder than Dick Dale or Motorhead.[/quote']

I think Coast supported Teenage Fanclub when they played Bonkers in 91 or so ? Must check to see if I have something from Pablo on a compilation - am sure I have..

Ah yes...Coast, those loveable rogues. The Coast/18 Wheeler piss-ups were potentially dangerous! I once played bass (hiding behind the speaker) in a band who were on the bottom of a Coast and 18 Wheeler bill (we were chums of Alan Hake - ex-Wheeler and discoverer of the Darkness).

So is Ian Slater still singing/bassing at the same time, Biz? I recall being very impressed the first time I saw them at the Copper Beech in the late 70s/early 80s.

Kitchen Cynics...........................................is it Alone again or tonight, or the Steppes?..

Guest DustyDeviada

The Sutherland Bro.s (&Quiver) did a few Peels (does coming from Buckie count?)

Wow, Sutherland Brothers & Quiver were from Buckie? I never knew that.

I think their guitarist Tim Renwick is a sideman for Pink Floyd now. Is he from Buckie too?

Ian Slater is in a band called Pablo' date='(buy their CD it's fantastic), with Paul Fyfe of Coast and the Loveless drummer.Ian has been doing the tour mixing desk for Keane.They plan a new CD later this year.Pablo played in the Triple Kirks and also The Lemon Tree supporting Eighties Matchbox B line disaster.Fucking great, LOUD AS HELL ,louder than Dick Dale or Motorhead.[/quote']

Jeez, why didn't I know this? I'd love to see Glen playing drums again. Any idea when they're playing next? Funnily enough I thought I saw Paul in Aberdeen recently too, are they all based back here now?