aberdeen-music

Swearing...

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

What's everyone's thoughts on swearing in everyday life...?

I swear far too much. I blame my older brother who swears with about every second word. I went through a spell of trying to swear less, but I've just embraced it now...

I don't think there's much wrong with swearing really - it's just letters arranged in a particular way to form a word, and don't understand why people get offended by it - in particular by the "C-bomb", which I then just start using on purpose to "offend" them.

I do think that swearing seems to have escalated in recent years and just became acceptable in most walks of society. I'm not sure if that means our morals have decreased any or not though...?

(Can you tell I'm bored...?)

Swearing fucking rules!

I swear all the time, but never in front of my parents, dunno why.

I have a T-shirt from smellyourmum.com that has "anti social cunt" on the front, and I am still amazed by some of the reactions I can get when I wear it (it's all part of the fun with that particular T-shirt to be honest).

I have noticed the kids that live round us are getting worse, I don't ever remember shouting "cunt" at passing cars when I was three, but then I didn't grow up in Northfield so that might be the difference.

Swear words are just words, it is just that certain people have obviously deemed them to be "offensive". Kevin Bloody Wilson always says the Aussies use the C-bomb as you called it as an affectionate term almost, yet "You Can't say Cunt in Canada". Different times and different cultures I suppose, but swearing is like smoking - pisses people off and makes you look cool.

I only drop the c-bomb in real life (I type that shit everyday) if i'm mega pissed off and am occasionally taken aback when people use it in certain situations. I think it's nice to have certain words reserved for impact, which is why I'm quite sparing with my swearing. I don't like hearing wee kids swear or hearing parents swear around their kids, not because I find it offensive, just a bit ugly to hear.

I can't swear infront of my parents. It would be strange, even though I pretty much got it from my mum and step dad being foul mouthed scrubbers infront of me from a young age. I was even allowed to watch Robocop when I was 6 with my Dad, but we had to have the volume on quite low because of the all the 'flippin' heck' and such in it

Swearing is great.

I only drop the c-bomb in real life (I type that shit everyday) if i'm mega pissed off and am occasionally taken aback when people use it in certain situations. I think it's nice to have certain words reserved for impact, which is why I'm quite sparing with my swearing..

I agree with this. Swear words can be so overused as to be meaningless in situations where they should be applied for effect and to emphasise a point.

There was a stand up performance I saw on YouTube (I think maybe as a related vid to the Louis CK one but I can't find it anymore) where the guy made the point that people will have to start saying really disgusting things because swearing will be so commonplace. Awww, my car broke down! What a legalisation of incest between two brothers with AIDS or something like that.

I like the common people who, instead of saying "erm" or "umm" or "ehhhh" when they are stuck for a word or taking a breather in the middle of a sentence, say "fuckiiiin" "fuckiiiiiin"..

I like the common people who, instead of saying "erm" or "umm" or "ehhhh" when they are stuck for a word or taking a breather in the middle of a sentence, say "fuckiiiin" "fuckiiiiiin"..
That's me.

Cos I swear so much, I've found myself calling people "fascist" when I'm pissed off at them. My mates don't mind being called cunts. Call them a fascist, and they get pissed. No matter what way you spin it, fascist is a bad word.

Guest Gladstone

You'd like my brother. Here's a sentence that I shit you not he would utter without a second thought.

"Aye, eh, fuckin', I wis doon eh fuckin' at the fuckin' pub last night. Y'on fuckin' boy, Martyn wis there. He eh, fuckin' said he wis fuckin' gan to the fuckin' game on Saturday. Fancy fuckin' gan like?"

No joke.

Guest Gladstone
That's me.

Cos I swear so much, I've found myself calling people "fascist" when I'm pissed off at them. My mates don't mind being called cunts. Call them a fascist, and they get pissed. No matter what way you spin it, fascist is a bad word.

I call all women sluts and all guys cunts these days. I now use it as a term of affection.

You slutty cunt.

Guest Gladstone

A word that I've adopted in recent years to really insult someone is "moron".

I've no idea why I suddenly started calling proper twats, and stupid people morons, but if I call someone a moron it's far worse than me calling them a cunt.

People probably wouldn't be insulted if I call them a moron as much as if I called them a cunt, but I know deep down what I really mean...

EDIT (because I can't be arsed waiting 60 seconds): This merits some fucking cunting bastarding swearing. I just heard that Zanres in Mintlaw has been taken over and is no longer fucking Zanres. It's the best chipper in the fucking world, and it's not there anymore. What a bunch of morons.

I do think that swearing seems to have escalated in recent years and just became acceptable in most walks of society.

I'd agree with that, swearing has definitely lost some of it's impact in recent years. Racist and homophobic words are the new swearing, although it's entirely your call whether to choose to use them or not...

:up: