aberdeen-music

Union Square

KimyReizeger

I haven't had the chance to have a look yet but I really don't get why folk are getting so hung up about another shopping centre. It certainly makes Aberdeen at least seem like it is keeping up with facilities available in other cities even if it is not quite on par. And it looks far better than the derelict area it was previously.

The fact it's linked to the rail and bus stations may lead to folk deciding to take a trip up North shopping in the knowledge they can stay in one place and not have to endure navigating the usual array of drunks, beggars and general unwashed minkers whilst traversing Union Street.

I must be missing something about the Royal Mile's 'diversity', as far as I'm aware it consists of pubs, restaurants and cheesy tartan and Nessie shops playing horrible bagpipe tunes in the main. The buidlings are bonny though. Most of the cool independent shops are down Cockburn Street or towards the Grassmarket.

• Upvote 1

I haven't had the chance to have a look yet but I really don't get why folk are getting so hung up about another shopping centre. It certainly makes Aberdeen at least seem like it is keeping up with facilities available in other cities even if it is not quite on par. And it looks far better than the derelict area it was previously.

The fact it's linked to the rail and bus stations may lead to folk deciding to take a trip up North shopping in the knowledge they can stay in one place and not have to endure navigating the usual array of drunks, beggars and general unwashed minkers whilst traversing Union Street.

I must be missing something about the Royal Mile's 'diversity', as far as I'm aware it consists of pubs, restaurants and cheesy tartan and Nessie shops playing horrible bagpipe tunes in the main. The buidlings are bonny though. Most of the cool independent shops are down Cockburn Street or towards the Grassmarket.

As Aberdonians it is our duty to moan about Aberdeen whilst simultaneously hating everywhere else and therefore moaning if attempts are made to make Aberdeen like other places....which are all shit anyway. What's not to understand?

• Upvote 2

I was pretty pissed off last time I went, which made me sad :(

Ordered two mains, they were fine (mine tasted pretty rank - kinda like tofu. I hate tofu... it was suppose to be pork - but my friend's was really nice... i was perhaps unwise in my choice). Then then took 20 minutes to get us refills on the drinks (it was dead) and when we asked for a sweet menu, we waited half an hour before flagging down another waitress to get us desserts... after we ate the puds, the original waitress asked if we'd been given menus. They then didn't return with our change when we paid the bill, so I didn't top up the cash to add to the tip. It took us almost 2 hours to have lunch.

The fact the service was dire was one thing, but that the waitress (who was shit) decided herself to keep my change was beyond any form of forgiveness.

Can't say I'll be running back. From what I've experienced in the past, that's far from typical but it was really terrible service that I had recently.

That's pretty bad. Can't say that I've had bad service there but that's unacceptable.

I do like their food and the vibe there.

But this isn't the Cafe 52 thread.

Guest Gladstone
If it's expensive I'm just not going to let my girlfriend eat anything. She can have a Coke with ice and a slice (provided the ice and the slice are free) while I stuff my face.

You should tell her you think she needs to lay off the food cos she's you think she's getting a bit fat, and get her a diet coke.

You should tell her you think she needs to lay off the food cos she's you think she's getting a bit fat, and get her a diet coke.

I'll just stuff myself with cheap bread and crisps at home before I go to the restaurant. It's the same principle as having a carry out before you go to the pub to save money, non?

I'll just stuff myself with cheap bread and crisps at home before I go to the restaurant. It's the same principle as having a carry out before you go to the pub to save money, non?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You'll attract the wrath of KimyReiziger!

• Upvote 1

As Aberdonians it is our duty to moan about Aberdeen whilst simultaneously hating everywhere else and therefore moaning if attempts are made to make Aberdeen like other places....which are all shit anyway. What's not to understand?

Seconded! :up:

All 'malls' remove local character.....however, if it keeps all the bams and folk who say "awesome" in one place I'll give it my backing.

Guys guys guys, even if i wasn't a student, i would not pay that silly amount for a burger, i can get the same greasy food at Mac D's. Like Dave said, they don't even serve you, you go up to the counter and order it yourself. For prices like that surely you would expect service?

Now, there is a world of difference between macd's and this. They are not the same.

Yo! Sushi was fucking delicious and it really wasn't that pricey. 42 for me and the bird (including 1 coke and 1 beer), fairly reasonable, though in saying that you don't get as much food as you would getting a three course dinner at a normal restaurant for around the same price. I was full but not absolutely stuffed full, I comfortably put away 8 dishes and could have eaten more.

These are massive burgers, honestly I can't even handle a side of chips. You can easily share a side order, even the plain burger you have to practically dislocate your jaw just so you can take a bite. That and they are delicious!

It doesn't take that long to get served either, even if there is a big queue it goes down rather quickly. In the time it took to queue for the handmade burger place, get seated and place our order, three groups of people had been seated at the steak and grill next door - the place was almost empty as well!! Must have been short staffed, but on a Saturday that's pretty stupid.

Yo! Sushi was fucking delicious and it really wasn't that pricey. 42 for me and the bird (including 1 coke and 1 beer), fairly reasonable, though in saying that you don't get as much food as you would getting a three course dinner at a normal restaurant for around the same price. I was full but not absolutely stuffed full, I comfortably put away 8 dishes and could have eaten more.

This is true.

Was in on Saturday evening and it was superb.

Going to try Ask on Thursday, there is buy one meal get one for 1 online so seems like a tempting offer...heard it is good also

It's bizarre having a cinema & hotel in a shopping mall...it feels a bit surreal walking around thinking your in Aberdeen. I am quite impressed! I like the fact they have cleaned up the train station exterior and it should be well preserved now it's indoors