aberdeen-music

Union Square

KimyReizeger

booze update - of sorts.

was in the cinema last night, realised they have a bar close to the entrance so i guess it's available for all punters - cinema goers or not, i mean this as opposed to the restaurants that seem to be set-up for dining customers only (unless they have bar areas for non-eating folks?), didn't check prices but presume pretty high.

i tried out an onion bhaji burger at the homemade burger place, which was just 3 bhaji's stuck in a bun, made into a massive tower that I'd need to dislocate my jaw to tackle so had to take one of them out, kinda disappointed as i had thought it was gonna be a burger sized bhaji but suppose can't really complain... well except that it wasn't very warm (aye the ones kept in bun too) but the chips were a lot better, managed to keep their heat. was a bit weird having the set-up of pub style get a table, when ready to order go to the bar, pay for food & drinks, take drinks back to table, sit at table waiting for order while watching large queue forms through the restaurant blocking staff from going to and from kitchen and food orders, also blocking other customers from toilets, the queue reached back at far as right next my table which was a bit crap too. not sure what they do if you want more drinks as we never bothered.

Seems odd to build an indoor shopping thing then throw half a dozen or so shops out the back right in the weather folks are avoiding by shopping inside a centre!

i concur, if you are entering from train/main doors then apart from maps there's no real indication of the shops hiding out the back, and again, why would you bother going out there to window shop when the weather is crap, for a brand new shopping centre it is a bit weird. Also Next seems to be the perfect short cut through the centre from that side & using the stairs to get up & down rather than going to the ones beside the lifts.

what a heap of crap i'm on about today, off for lunch.

Went through it on opening day and did not enjoy the experience much, but went through it again yesterday when it was a touch quieter, and I don't think it's really that bad. Bland shopping centre maybe, but more aesthetically pleasing than it was when it was a run down old bus station/car park, no? Direct links between bus and train stations aren't exactly common off the top of my head, either.

Stop moaning.

:up:

I was (un)fortunately up in Aberdeen for work last Friday and decided to pop in before I got my train back down south, I too was rather underwhelmed by it all. I know there is a recession on and all but it looks like half the units in the place are still empty, despite trying to disguise this fact with flashy advertising boards. I can't really see what Aberdeen has gained aside from a Cult Clothing, Yo Shushi and Apple store. It looks like everything else can be found elsewhere within the city.

I appreciate the tarted up train station though, but what the hell was the thinking behind moving the taxi rank to the inside of the College Street car park!?

I can't really see what Aberdeen has gained aside from a Cult Clothing, Yo Shushi and Apple store. It looks like everything else can be found elsewhere within the city.

There's also a Zara, and a proper Faith store instead of a small section in Debenhams or Schuh! LOADS of lassys I know are happy as hell that we now have a Zara in Aberdeen. Plus I hate the Marks and Spencers at St Nicks, it's better that there's a carpark outside the new one.

That hobby store (hobbycraft is it?) is cool, had a peak inside and they've the same beads in there a lot cheaper than bead crazy, as well as a bigger range. My wee sis loves making her own jewellery so that will soon be the place she spends all her pennies in!

Once they get the other units filled up it'll be fab, granted I just love shopping but it's a nice centre in my opinion. There's cheap parking, and the bus and train stations joined on so if you miss your bus you've got some things to entertain you. There's been so many times I haven't realised the timetable has changed, so I'm stuck sitting at the freezing station because I don't want to go back up to union street as it's pissing with rain.

Good heavens. You could get a double stack at the Cults Hotel for less.

aye, and while it was good i wouldn't say it's amazing. plus, i think they'd run out of their 'famous sourdough buns' as mine was a toasted sesame seed bun. also, for that price i want table service not ordering at the bar and waiting 20 minutes.

it is worth trying if you like burgers but don't expect to be wowed.

there is also no phone signal in union square, this grinds my gears.

I think the inside is reasonable aesthetically. Wide passageways, revealing upper-deck cutaways and plenty of light. Gives a nice expansive feel as opposed to others.

...... with not enough seats or benches to sit at, when you're tired from all that shopping!

(from a retail point of view, that seems like a stupid omission to me !!)

:down:

...... with not enough seats or benches to sit at, when you're tired from all that shopping!

(from a retail point of view, that seems like a stupid omission to me !!)

:down:

Less of a stupid retail omission when you realise that it's to point you in the direction of the multitude of seated ares in their varied eating establishments where you will feel obliged to part with more of your hard-earned...

UnionSquare - Car

btw - Parking is 1 per visit after 6pm. not used it yet.

"You can also park for just a pound between 18:00 and 06:00 at College Street car park."

i like the travel map

UnionSquare - Travel Map

Last night I saw two lassies getting asked to leave a seat, I think because they were eating "outside" food? Seemed a bit ott attitude wise but the security guy had apparently spoken to them before so maybe that explains his mood.

i concur, if you are entering from train/main doors then apart from maps there's no real indication of the shops hiding out the back, and again, why would you bother going out there to window shop when the weather is crap, for a brand new shopping centre it is a bit weird. Also Next seems to be the perfect short cut through the centre from that side & using the stairs to get up & down rather than going to the ones beside the lifts.

what a heap of crap i'm on about today, off for lunch.

This surprised me also. Perhaps they believe they will benefit from the customers who use the parking but surely considering the scale of the project it would have been more sensible to have some form of indoor walkway from the rest of the shopping center.

Have to admit I expected it would be a bit bigger after hearing people claim it would be 'the biggest in Scotland'.