aberdeen-music

Vocoustics: Castanets + Quickbeam + Tommy Tungsten, The Malt Mill, Thursday 5 Nov

Vocoustics Promotions Presents:

CASTANETS + QUICKBEAM + TOMMY TUNGSTEN

The Malt Mill (82 Holdburn Street)

Thursday 5th November

5 from 8pm

9728_159170142482_608402482_3211951_2267326_n.jpg

----------------------------------

CASTANETS

Castanets on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Castanets is the musical project of Raymond Raposa, a San Diego native based in Portland, Oregon. Their releases on Asthmatic Kitty Records is a musical clash between the traditional stylings of blues, country and folk and modern intuition (avant-garde psychedelic freak-folk).

Pitchfork review:

'My Heart", the economically arranged highlight from Castanets' latest, 'Texas Rose, the Thaw, and the Beasts' feels a lot like a homestead: Using only guitars, bass, drums, and voice, Raposa washes into a low cloud of reverb, a second, slight layer of vocals chasing after his own. Impeccably timed, the song builds layer by layer, the drums rising only as the third verse collapses, pushing tension to a short-lived pinnacle. "My tongue is forming new words for you/ My lungs are calling like birds for you," Raposa offers for the climax, offering the best of his body to someone intent on using all of him. Considering this may be the most quintessential Castanets song to date, it'd simply be didactic to spell out the metaphor."

QUCIKBEAM

Quickbeam on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Quickbeam are a fresh, newly formed Scottish indie/acoustic act. The three piece have recently started recording their first EP and gigging accross Scotland. Their sound was summed up best by Grandaddy/Modest Mouse guitarist Jim Fairchild, '...beautiful, sparse and concise at its finest'.

TOMMY TUNGSTEN

Tommy Tungsten on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Tommy has been creating and performing music for 15 years, first in his native Glasgow with the band Manganese and latterly in Aberdeen with Flaming Katy. Over the years he has gigged throughout the UK, such as Dublin Castle and Water Rat in London, King Tuts and Barrowlands in Glasgow, The Lemon Tree in Aberdeen and festivals including T in the Park and Glasgow Green, as well as In the City at Manchester.

www.vocoustics.com

www.myspace.com/vocoustics

you have your own gigs to operate... you can start them at 8.15 if you want, whats the issue with my timings?

It just could have been an opportunity to avoid that big blank nothing happening for an hour or so which seems to happen for whatever reason...I thought. Didn't mean to get you tetchy though.

Maybe we should start a seperate discussion about gig timings?

It just could have been an opportunity to avoid that big blank nothing happening for an hour or so which seems to happen for whatever reason...I thought. Didn't mean to get you tetchy though.

Maybe we should start a seperate discussion about gig timings?

I think having 30-45 mins to get people in, get seats, get drinks and just sit for a while is good.... keep them waiting and leave them wanting more...

anyway....... this gig will be a good thingy of live noise :up: people show be present at it :up:

kiosque bloggery bump!

"Under-used venue The Malt Mill plays host to San Diego native and Portland, Oregon resident Raymond Raposa in his Castanets guise this Thursday. Signed to Asthmatic Kitty Records (Sufjan Stevens etc), his sparse, atmospheric, reverb-laden psychedelic lo-fi folk & blues is well worth checking out. World-class beard too. Support comes from Scottish indie/acoustic act Quickbeam and singer-songwriter Tommy Tungsten".

a different venue from the norm and a very special band.... (hopefully) it will be awesome :up:

Yes :up:

Where did you hire the talking couple that sat down the front yapping really loud, seemingly oblivious to the fact everyone else is listening intently to the act on stage? I thought at first they were an abstract part of Quickbeam's set. Usually I scowl, tut or shush at such people but for some reason I just found the wifie amusing.

"IT'S REALLY NICE MUSIC!"

She was right on that count though. All acts were superb. Bought a CD by Quickbeam and Castanets and already own one by Euan.....erm I mean Tommy. Stage could do with some lighting I thought but nae a bad venue for a change.

They, or should I say she, was trying to be quiet but clearly steaming and enjoying herself and was just a little worse for wear rather than just being ignorant. I think we all felt that they would leave or be asked to shoooosht so it just provided a giggle.

Castanets were great. Quickbeam were lovely and in some ways the highlight for me. The Thompson Twin cover by the first chap was ace! The venue felt odd but could be a cracking place if given over to that sort of gig and promoter more often.

Nice night and I had just the right amount of red wine:up: