aberdeen-music

Broadband issues within denburn exchange

miket1982

yeah i actually have a topic in the 8mb cause thats what i started on :)

well times have changed but any connection problems please feel free to put them in my blog and have a look at my topic as well

Orange Problems - View topic - Are <a href="http://www.paccodes.co.uk" target="PAC">Orange</a> taking the p - Orange Broadband, Orange Email, Orange Mobile Phones - OrangeProblems.co.uk

The Newtonhill exchange went down on Sunday and it was Tuesday before anyone from BT admitted there was a problem with the exchange despite half the internet users in the village complaining directly to them and through their ISPs. Good times. Today is the first time since Sunday I've had functioning internet at home. I'd heard folk in Hazelhead were having a dodgy time with their connection as well.

Yeah, that was because the Tesco people cut all the cables by mistake! So Newtonhill was totally without the web.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
604937720.png

747579211.png

Great improvement over here ?(

It's been like this for several weeks too, I may have to contact my ISP. They emailed me about the 21CN update too, although nothing specific about how this is going to make my broadband D/L faster. I thought you had to get ADSL2 for that.

I am on O2, and the Denburn is my local exchange. Before Christmas BT upgraded the exchange to allow up to 20 Meg services. They did this to all the towns along the main Edinburgh - Aberdeen route. But this was just the backbone being upgraded, nothing to do with the main carriers (O2, Sky, Virgin)

Then I looked into when O2 would be installing their equipment into the exchange, allowing us punters to get up to 20 Meg services (using a technology called Local Loop Unbundling, LLU). As far I was aware it was just upgraded for the BT and O2 service, so if you are on another carrier then you might not necessarily get the up to 20 Meg services.

I am on O2, and the Denburn is my local exchange. Before Christmas BT upgraded the exchange to allow up to 20 Meg services. They did this to all the towns along the main Edinburgh - Aberdeen route. But this was just the backbone being upgraded, nothing to do with the main carriers (O2, Sky, Virgin)

Then I looked into when O2 would be installing their equipment into the exchange, allowing us punters to get up to 20 Meg services (using a technology called Local Loop Unbundling, LLU). As far I was aware it was just upgraded for the BT and O2 service, so if you are on another carrier then you might not necessarily get the up to 20 Meg services.

My ISP buys their capacity from BT Wholesale, whose network was allegedly upgraded as part of the 21CN program, though they weren't clear on specifics when they emailed me about it. I was hoping this would mean less congestion at peak times, but not my actual line speed to drop which is strange.

Llu just means that your ISP is using their own port cards rather than renting bt's ones. I presume BT use the flash new ones for their own customers and lets other companies use the shit ones. so unless you're with BT, always look for llu otherwise you won't get your max speed. O2 uses adsl2+ cards which have a max speed of 20 meg.

X

LLU enabled means your provider uses their own fibre network. They leave a cable for BT to haul into the exchange which is spliced into a shelf on the kit, where various fangled bits of engineering convert and MUX the optical signal into many electrical, one of which is then hooked up to your landline.