aberdeen-music

Broadband issues within denburn exchange

miket1982

hi,

first post on here so please bear with me

i signed upto orange broadband 6 weeks and from the start have been getting dl speeds of 0.5mbps or lower. i am on the denburn exchange in aberdeen. i have spoken to their customer support and it has to said they are something special. they made me run around in circles for three weeks, which neither me or the wife enjoyed.

this thread will hopefully find out if anyone else on the denburn exchange is experiencing problems with dl speeds and if theres something we can do about. my sister also on the denburn exchange but with bt is experiencing lower than normal speeds (1000kbps) and i have noticed her ip profile is set to 4500kbps which is well below the max the exchange can take.

if there is anyone out there on denburn exchange please help by posting either a test result from speedtest.net or speedtester.bt.com cheers for looking :)

yeah guessed that. i have been on the phone so many times to orange made the biggest mistake swapping to them now they say it could take months to get me on a normal connection they say that the exchange is full and i am in a quee at the mo.

well my sister is on the denburn exchange and she is on bt and getttin a rubbish 1-2mbps and her ip profile is set to 4500kbps which is low.

can you run a test at Test Result and see what results your getting through also any info from the modem as well :)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5714 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :7648 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

What info from the modem are you looking for?

I would like BT to admit that there is a problem here because it's getting pretty tiresome.

i know there has been a lot of trouble with this exchange in the past. i used to be with aol and never ever had speed issues its just cause bt are selling to many ipstream connections to companies like orange who then sells to too many customer in turn making a lot of customers with a slow connection speeds etc.

do any of you getting slower than normal connection between 6 and 11 as well??

i know there has been a lot of trouble with this exchange in the past. i used to be with aol and never ever had speed issues its just cause bt are selling to many ipstream connections to companies like orange who then sells to too many customer in turn making a lot of customers with a slow connection speeds etc.

Do orange throtlle you at peak times?

hey cheers again guys

well they dont need to trottle me cause i get a max of 0.5mbps and yes it does go down as low as 0.3mbps in the evening.

i have just started a blog

u pay have your say: orange broadband on denburn aberdeen exchange

this is to get a clear picture of people on the denburn exchange from different isps

i am planning to get my friend who works for the evening express to run this story not just to get my problem sorted but everyone who is in the same boat as me.

so if u know anyone that is on the denburn exchange get them to go to blog and post their results as this will help get a clear picture of all isps and also a idea of the issue of distance from exchange as well.

I had major problems with my line about 2 months ago. It took a few calls to BT to get them to admit there was something wrong. I was getting a pretty abysmal line speed, both up and down. It seems to have righted itself now but i'm pretty sure they periodically reduce peoples connection speeds on a rotational basis.

Are you using the Orange Livebox (or whatever it's called)? I'm on Orange on the Denburn exchange and I was getting between 1 and 2 Mbps when I signed up. Orange tech support were a bunch of cunts basically, and wouldn't recognise that I should be getting a higher speed. I ended up chucking the supplied router and using a Netgear one I had and after a couple of days I was getting a fairly constant 4 - 6 Mbps. From the research I did at the time, I think the supplied router was disconnecting all the time, and I think it needs a steady connection to get up to the higher speeds. The only reason I'm still with them is because I get it cheap from an old mobile phone contract. They are the worst company I've ever dealt with by far.

Mine is:

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.5 / 34.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 9.5

So, your attenuation is slightly less than mine (good)

and your SN Margin is slightly more than mine (that's a bit trickier)

You're probably slightly closer to Denburn than me, I'm roughly in the Morrisons area of tha deen.

cheers again guys yeah you are a little closer than me to the exchange. my wife just spoke to orange and they arent going to fix the problem any time soon and have said we can leave with no charges and we get a full refund for all charges including calls we have had to make to them. this is a easy way out for them to deal with a problem.

i have my netgear from aol and have used that on the line with no differnce in broadband at all. so my next step is to get a new phone and broadband supplier which is a big hassle to be honest. i am still going to get my friend to do his report which will hopefully shake things up for both orange and bt for suppling a rubbish service.

all this info i will pass on, but your identity will be anonymous and with everyones permission i can use your stats to help my friend do the report.

so its time to go shopping :( not happy about this...

well been looking and 02 do a decent deal any advice there.

have just spoken to ofcom about this situation and they have given me a orange number which i did and hopefully this will make them pull their finger out. my line at the moment had been capped to 2mb as i said before and need to get that sorted before moving to a new supplier.

all that i need to do is find some one that is not bt to get my phone line connected to. i have spoken to aol and they cant offer us a phoneline because its no longer in the hands of bt, i said this to ofcom and they said is isnt true they can take it over but the costs might be high.

well got a call back from the high up complaints team to try resolve before i have to change suppliers altogether. keep the info coming though guys :)

I'm at the beach so you're closer than me...

Hmmm, seems like my line isn't what it could be then. I've yet to try that trick where you take off the faceplate from the socket and connect directly to the line. I've heard that works but I remain sceptical.

And I can't find bloody screwdriver.

Hmmm, seems like my line isn't what it could be then. I've yet to try that trick where you take off the faceplate from the socket and connect directly to the line. I've heard that works but I remain sceptical.

And I can't find bloody screwdriver.

I've done that before when i was having problems with my line. Didn't make any difference because i'm convinced BT were dropping my line to pass some connectivity around. Dicks.

The Newtonhill exchange went down on Sunday and it was Tuesday before anyone from BT admitted there was a problem with the exchange despite half the internet users in the village complaining directly to them and through their ISPs. Good times. Today is the first time since Sunday I've had functioning internet at home. I'd heard folk in Hazelhead were having a dodgy time with their connection as well.

Guest Gladstone
I yearn for the day I can cut BT out and get fibre to my door.:up:

I hate BT. The bastards.

Although, if they do happen to somehow successfully connect me with a phoneline at the first time of asking, I'll hate them a little bit less but just till they piss me off again...