aberdeen-music

Bass Strings... Flatwound's?

GraemeC

Anyone using flatwound bass strings?

I fancy trying them but due to cost have been reluctant to dip my toe in the water.

Ive used roundwounds for centuries but dont like the brand new sound in my blues band.

G...

I stuck a set of Labella's on my p bass,it gave it the classic 60/70's dead sound.They last for ages unlike roundwounds which lose their tone over a relatively short period of time,apart from when i'm recording slap bass,the flatwound shod p bass is the main bass i use[for recording].

I've only ever tried Rotosound flats and my opinion is avoid - far too high tension for my liking.

I went for a slightly heavier gauge than i normally do on rounds,tension wasn't a little higher but not major issue.You'll get used to it, at least it will strengthen your hands...lol.The most important thing is the sound imo!

• 4 weeks later...
I stuck a set of Labella's on my p bass,it gave it the classic 60/70's dead sound.They last for ages unlike roundwounds which lose their tone over a relatively short period of time,apart from when i'm recording slap bass,the flatwound shod p bass is the main bass i use[for recording].

Which kind of Labella's did you use? Can you give me an example of what sort of sound they produced, perhaps a youtube vid?

I also have a P-Bass and have been searching around for that mystical "perfect tone" for too long now; I'd like to find a consistent sound to practice with.

Labella Deep Talkin 760 fm's, the closest i can think to my sound is Paul Jackson from the Headhunters.Mr Anderson i switched to DR Hi Beams[roundwounds] as they last for ages and have a quality in tone that's second to none.Won't use anything else now.

Labella Deep Talkin 760 fm's, the closest i can think to my sound is Paul Jackson from the Headhunters.Mr Anderson i switched to DR Hi Beams[roundwounds] as they last for ages and have a quality in tone that's second to none.Won't use anything else now.

Cheers. Yeah that's not really what I'm looking for, but I will give them a try just for the sake of having some lovely new strings. There's nothing quite like the sacred and sexy feeling of fresh new strings, so full of tone and wonder!

Cool, will give the Labellas a try...btw, if you guys think these are expensive, decent upright bass strings start at 120+ per set! Ouch...

DR's are about 30 a go,but like the saying goes "pay peanuts,get monkeys" :D

I've had a set of rotosound flatwounds on one of my basses for nearly 9 years and they are still going strong. The tension is quite high but I like my strings like that.

Is the intonation still cool?

Yeah,cos they both sound similar.X)

Not very sure I get yer point??

I can get an authentic Maiden sound without using flatties quite easily

Yeah thats fine, but he chooses to use them and doest seem to lack "punch" so what does that tell us?

You posted asking for an opinion and now your gonna argue the point? Jeez.:up:

Ronz

Yes and you wrote off flats for their lack of punch which doesnt seem to be a problem for the two flatty players I listed... can I guess that you have used only one kind of flat wound strings and didnt like them.... or have you tested, long term, every brand available?

:popcorn: