aberdeen-music

Roadrunner eats Trustkill!

medichi

Guest Nikola Tesla

They have victory too? There goes all the bigger HxC inde labels. I mean ok getting distrubution through bigger companies means their music gets farther around the world and in bigger quantities, but what happened to the DIY ethic?

Yeah, the Victory thing happened quite a while ago (MCA bought a 25% share) - it was when they started signing all the pop bands like TBS, Reunion Show etc.

I think this could a good thing for Trustkill. They've got a kickass roster which will now get the distribution it deserves. Let's just hope there isn't any pressure from Universal to sign more mainstream acts...

Guest highroller

unless these majors do bad things to the labels i dont see what the problem is...I really dont!

im kinda tired of people moaning about this, not aimed at anyone in this thread, just in general.

I mean you really think carl severson would have let roadrunner get involved with ferret if it was gonna affect who he signs...? I doubt that VERY much.

Josh from Trustkill...really going to change his principles...i doubt that as well...its just using the clout of bigger companies to get to more people...awesome...!

For fucks sake...its awesome that you can get the likes of really extreme hardcore bands like remembering never, etid and scarlet ( all on ferret ) in hmv...sweet is what i say...i got the brand new scarlet album for 6.99 in hmv...due to now being distributed in this country...fuck yeah...

It just kinda undermines some of the spirit of the music, dontcha think? Its a major lable appropriating the smaller labels "cool" factor in order to sell more records. You're right, it's great that bands like Nora, ETID, Bleeding Through and Scarlet will be more popular, but the deal MAY come at a price, as once the majors are in there, they WILL be able to exert pressure on the smaller label to sign different acts - eg, Universal or Roadrunner want to pick up a band, but want to release it through one of their "cool" labels, and slap the Ferret/Trustkill stamp on a sub-par release, to shift more "unit".

I guess I'd just rather music was made, distributed and sold by people who ACTUALLY LIKE IT.

Carl used to work for Roadrunner, back when they were an ace label, btw.....

Guest highroller

yeah i heard that about carl...

i agree man...i really do...about made and sold by people who really love it...

and you have a point about exerting pressure but these guys that run successful indies like gurewitz, severson, josh at trustkill, fat mike etc....they aint stupid ya know? Im sure that any possibility of pressure say a year after a happy start to the new agreement would be something that these dudes would have made sure was contractually ruled out...dont you think?

I mean...they are doing great without the majors help so...they probably have a clause that if there is something they really dont like...they walk...I think the majors want these indies more than the other way...like you say its the association of "cool" huh?

There's alot of pure drivel comes from said labels anyhow, so I can't see how majors taking over will make too much difference. Sure, a load more crap will be streamed out under Trustkill or whatever but if you can tell the difference between good and bad what the hell does it matter?!

Guest allsystemsfail
unless these majors do bad things to the labels i dont see what the problem is...I really dont!

im kinda tired of people moaning about this' date=' not aimed at anyone in this thread, just in general.

I mean you really think carl severson would have let roadrunner get involved with ferret if it was gonna affect who he signs...? I doubt that VERY much.

Josh from Trustkill...really going to change his principles...i doubt that as well...its just using the clout of bigger companies to get to more people...awesome...!

For fucks sake...its awesome that you can get the likes of really extreme hardcore bands like remembering never, etid and scarlet ( all on ferret ) in hmv...sweet is what i say...i got the brand new scarlet album for 6.99 in hmv...due to now being distributed in this country...fuck yeah...[/quote']

You don't see what the problem is? Running with the majors runs contrary to the DIY ethic - a belief central to the punk/hardcore community. Those who have sought to betray the punk underground? I say fuck 'em. We have a great scene going on, one that we've built ourselves. Hey, we got a global network of distros, labels, show spaces, bands, zines... It's our scene. Don't let these guys fuck with it.

Guest highroller

man...the world just dont work like that anymore...

there really isnt much of that "them vs us" vibe around...everything is too blurred...let it go...

Guest allsystemsfail
man...the world just dont work like that anymore...

there really isnt much of that "them vs us" vibe around...everything is too blurred...let it go...

I'm sorry, but I disagree. The ideas on which the punk underground was built, are (I believe) as important today as they ever were. Sure, a lotta younger folks don't quite see things this way, but that should not undermine the importance of this still extremely relevant message. A lotta kids just got to hear it.

The meddling of the majors? We've built this scene from nothing. You gonna let these fucks take it away from us? They could care less about the punk/hardcore community. When the current interest in punk fades (which it will), are these guys gonna give a shit? No.

i gotta say i lose a lot of respect for labels that lose their independence and although ive never been a fan of any of the above labels, i can understand how many who do would be upset by this...part of the attraction to me, is this romantic idea of all these great records coming from a little garage...the fact that only a few people have put out these records, for the love of it, not for the money...think of asian man records, dr strange records, recess records...id be very angry if these labels changed their ideals

My main concern is (as previously aired) that majors don't give a shit about scenes and communities - they follow trends in order to MAKE MONEY. That's all that concerns them.

In the mid-nineties, Roadrunner signed a shitload of hardcore bands - Shelter, Madball, Life Of Agony and Earth Crisis to name but a few. What happened when the interest faded? They were promptly dropped.

Granted, we're not talking about the same scenario here - Roadrunner are only distributing Trustkill, not aquiring it. But it's a step in that direction...

My main concern is (as previously aired) that majors don't give a shit about scenes and communities - they follow trends in order to MAKE MONEY. That's all that concerns them.

In the mid-nineties' date=' Roadrunner signed a shitload of hardcore bands - Shelter, Madball, Life Of Agony and Earth Crisis to name but a few. What happened when the interest faded? They were promptly dropped.

Granted, we're not talking about the same scenario here - Roadrunner are only distributing Trustkill, not aquiring it. But it's a step in that direction...[/quote']

agreed!!!

Guest highroller
Personally I can't wait for the day that a major-manufactured emo band (a la Busted' date=' McFly) breaks; it kinda signals the death knell for any mainstream alt-genre really.

EDIT: Jim is spot on.[/quote']

yeah, he would be wouldnt he.

wouldnt have been the case if certain others said it, now would it...? ;)