aberdeen-music

Photography

ca_gere

Think of this as the LOL picture thread's older, more mature sibling. Post and discuss some of your favourite photographs as well as your favourite photographers.

I remember going to an exhibit of Andy Warhol's polaroid portraits when I was younger and being struck by the effect these relatively simple photos were having on me. Since then, discovering a photgrapher with that unique 'eye' for an image is, for me, a similar experience to listening to a great band for the first time.

Firstly, I'd like to plug my mate's flickr... Flickr: Sylvain Sylvain's Photostream

It seems like everyone is a photographer nowadays, I could have plugged just about any of my freinds, but I think he's got genuine talent and his Scotland photos I particularly like.

A recent discovery for has been Robert Frank. I absolutely love his 'slice-of-life' 50's Americana photos. This miniature posting of his drugstore photo doesn't really do it justice but you get the gist...

robert-frank-drugstore.JPG

So... any photography fans?

Niall Benvie is one of my favourite photographers: Images From The Edge

Really great wildlife shots and landscapes with a bit of thought behind them too. Nice chap as well.

from my flickr contacts i'd have to say either Heidi Kuisma: Flickr: Heidi Kuisma's Photostream or my good friend Dana are the best: Flickr: Great Danes' Photostream

Other photographers who have inspired me are Ansel Adams, Robert Capa, Henri Cartier Bresson, Michael Grecco, Andy Hall, Andy Rouse, Peter Cairns, Joe Cornish, Martin Parr and Richard Avedon. There are probably others but it's hard to remember them all.

That benvie dude is a treat. Ta.

Otherwise, I dunno what it is with gig photos but they just don't do much for me. It's a bit of a seen one, seen them all for the most part. They obviously serve a purpose though.

That second flickr link is great too so far. Exactly the type of stuff I like.

That benvie dude is a treat. Ta.

Otherwise, I dunno what it is with gig photos but they just don't do much for me. It's a bit of a seen one, seen them all for the most part. They obviously serve a purpose though.

That second flickr link is great too so far. Exactly the type of stuff I like.

I get what you're saying about gig ones. I think heidi's are a cut above though and she also does great abstract stuff as well.

your friends stuff is pretty good too. some nice wildlife shots in there.

Dominic Kite's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

My older brother is an avid photographer and while I'm bias I've always thought he is a dab hand. He's pretty lucky in that he gets to travel a lot with his work and his camera goes with him so he has photos from the likes of Malaysia, Australia, Scandanavia, Singapore and so forth and I'd say those are his best ones. I have very little understanding of photography and photographers so can only go on the basis of I like what I see but there are a few here which I've always liked.

I'll try and summerise a few of my latest fav pics ^^ I'm a bit of a geek so could go on listing forever...

...Posts lots of photos

Aekido, can you credit any photos you post in this here thread or link to the photographers portfolios? As a photographer yourself i'm sure you wouldn't want folk posting your work around the internet without at least crediting it.

Dominic Kite's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

My older brother is an avid photographer and while I'm bias I've always thought he is a dab hand. He's pretty lucky in that he gets to travel a lot with his work and his camera goes with him so he has photos from the likes of Malaysia, Australia, Scandanavia, Singapore and so forth and I'd say those are his best ones. I have very little understanding of photography and photographers so can only go on the basis of I like what I see but there are a few here which I've always liked.

your brother's got a good eye, some cracking landscapes there.

your brother's got a good eye, some cracking landscapes there.

Seconded. That ruin (looks like the old slains castle next to collieston but isn't) with the circular formation in the sky is affa bonnie. Also like the model stuff, nice location/props.

For aekido, some cracking photos there but would be nice knowing where they came from. A gig photo that I actually like in there and the Belmont street one captures dreich old aberdeen perfectly. I always thought that dip in the road would make a good picture.

Holy shit we have a winner! Her stuff blows everything out the water so far. Some Incredible pictures. :up:

Got to follow her round the Hot Chip gig in the Forum when they were doing that tennent's mutual thing which was ace. Was picking her brain as to how she got such amazing pictures, I think some people just have a really amazing eye for composition. I suppose the more you do it the quicker you become at picking the picture out.

To be fair, she may have an excellent eye but the places she's taking photos lend themselves to a good picture already. That's what it's all about I suppose, getting in the right places and then getting the shot right. Like that hipster gig... it looks staged it's so ridiculously elaborate. Like an episode of skins or something. Ace stuff. Ta for posting.

To be fair, she may have an excellent eye but the places she's taking photos lend themselves to a good picture already. That's what it's all about I suppose, getting in the right places and then getting the shot right. Like that hipster gig... it looks staged it's so ridiculously elaborate. Like an episode of skins or something. Ace stuff. Ta for posting.

sure getting in the right places helps but her pictures have great use of lighting too and composition. a whole lot of skill on show there and i'm very impressed.

plus she has a portrait of the hoff. automatic win.

sure getting in the right places helps but her pictures have great use of lighting too and composition. a whole lot of skill on show there and i'm very impressed.

plus she has a portrait of the hoff. automatic win.

Completely agree. Just meant that your average amateur snapper isn't gonna get the chance to hop into an RAF chopper or get into a gig in the Rio Favelas. It's all about building up your profile and getting contracts etc which she has obviously done so well done her. Her

work is brilliant and I didn't mean to detract from it, but I reckon your photos probably improve exponentially once you get the backing to send you to these places and let you concentrate fully on it.

Just wondering, does anybody still use film these days? I can imagine it's one of those things that people will start debating like the difference between software synths and hardware... I am totally into the comparitave difference between the two. I think the debate would have exactly the same merits to it.

I can imagine the main issue with classical photography and doing your own photos is that the cost is much higher, buying expensive film that gets used up, dark room, chemicals... but is there any benefit to creating photos in this way over the digital realm? My dad has recently retired and it was always his plan to take up photography again but go digital but he's also got all the stuff for doing it old school too.

Just wondering, does anybody still use film these days? I can imagine it's one of those things that people will start debating like the difference between software synths and hardware... I am totally into the comparitave difference between the two. I think the debate would have exactly the same merits to it.

I can imagine the main issue with classical photography and doing your own photos is that the cost is much higher, buying expensive film that gets used up, dark room, chemicals... but is there any benefit to creating photos in this way over the digital realm? My dad has recently retired and it was always his plan to take up photography again but go digital but he's also got all the stuff for doing it old school too.

when i was at college studying photography i was very much in the anti-digital camp but in the years since i graduated i came to realise that digital is here to stay and is a tool to be used like any other. the only benefit to using film is if you use large format film otherwise you can acheive the same results with digital, do it cheaper and in less time. is it as satisfying? probably not.

i loved using a darkroom and seeing the results form in front of you, anxiously waiting to see if it came out as you hoped. But where it could sometimes take a whole afternoon to get a particular effect just right it can now take 20 minutes on a computer. the one bad thing about digital is when people overdo it.

• 2 weeks later...