aberdeen-music

FAO: RossP

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

I think (hope) it was you...

I'm sure I read in a thread somewhere that you were struggling with a knee injury - felt like 2 stones rubbing together inside your knee?

Just wondering if you found a way to help this?

I suffer from a similar problem, though I don't think it's as bad as your's sounded. Whenever I go for a run, I have to wait a couple of days before I can run again because my knee just doesn't work the following day. I'm not in the way of running on consecutive days because you have to let your muscles recover etc. but I'm going to be doing a lot of running from now on and don't want my knee crippling me a couple of times a week.

It's a problem that used to flare up every now and again after playing football, but I seem to get it every time I run.

I don't play football anymore, but I'm determined to stay fit, and running is the best way to do so!

Cheers :up:

I get a similar problem with my knee.

I went to physio.

It did fuck all to help me.

Glucosamine tablets have helped a fair bit though. And I can now play footy a couple of times a week.

Need to build up the muscles in the knee and those surrounding it. Get one of those tension bands, they help a lot too.

My theory is that i'm just getting old.

Guest Gladstone
I get a similar problem with my knee.

I went to physio.

It did fuck all to help me.

Glucosamine tablets have helped a fair bit though. And I can now play footy a couple of times a week.

Need to build up the muscles in the knee and those surrounding it. Get one of those tension bands, they help a lot too.

My theory is that i'm just getting old.

:up:

Fit's a tension band?

I thought it might be an issue with building up the muscles round the knee. Would leg weights help this? I know bollocks all about this sort of thing as is blatantly obvious. I just used to play hunners and hunners of football which kept me fit, now I have to think about it a bit more...

How old are you out of interest. I'm 27 - I hope to fuck this isn't me getting old already...

Hey, my knee is pretty much healed now. Hasn't flared up at football, running or gym work; so i'm pretty delighted. Basically there was a few things I did to help it:

- Rested it for a few days after the injury flared up for the first time, using ice to reduce the swelling

- Avoided running on roads/treadmills/football pitches for a fortnight, as the impact on the ground seemed to be the main cause of the injury

- Did light bike work during this time (wearing a knee support), stretching thoroughly before and after

- After a few weeks of that, I did weights in the gym to strengthen the muscle and joints, whilst also using the bike again to keep it loose.

My knee feels much stronger now and am back playing competitive football (albeit with a knee support for piece of mind). I've also started running on the treadmill and again there has been no flare up

The simple thing to do is rest it up, then use excercises that don't have any impact on the joint/muscles. Hopefully some of these routines will have a similar positive effect for your knee :)

Fit's a tension band?

I thought it might be an issue with building up the muscles round the knee. Would leg weights help this? I know bollocks all about this sort of thing as is blatantly obvious. I just used to play hunners and hunners of football which kept me fit, now I have to think about it a bit more...

How old are you out of interest. I'm 27 - I hope to fuck this isn't me getting old already...

I'm 31.

A tension band is like a big elastic band you can do exercises on your knee muscles with.

Take Ross's advice above too!

Guest Gladstone
aye, I tore the lateral meniscus about 3.5 months ago, took me ages to get back over it as I kept pushing myself back into gym/football etc. Had to leave it to rest for about 3/4 weeks. Seems ok now although I do get the odd shirk of pain whilst playing football.

If you properly tear or pull a hamstring/ligament etc, you can properly fuck yourself up by going back to football/sport too soon. My brother tore his cruciate when he was about 19, and spent the next 4 years going back to football too soon. By the time he was 23 he basically had no cruciate or median (or whatever the other one is called) ligament in that knee because of his knee being weakened. He hasn't kicked a competitive football since (he's now 30). He had major surgery to rebuild his knee so it's now fine, but he's never got back into football.

Damn shame cos he was a really good footballer. Could have played at a higher level than the amateur he always played if he wasn't such a lazy bastard with a shite attitude. He once trained with the Broch Highland League team. Once. Didn't go back cos it was proper training. He once played for a junior team. Came on as a sub, and scored. And just didn't go back. Whereas I once signed for a junior team, knocked my pan in at training for about 6 months and never played a competitive minute. They must have been gingerist or something...

Guest Gladstone

The bit running down the outside of my knee (both fucking knees) is totally killing me. Every time I get up out of my seat to go to the printer / make tea / go for a piss etc I can barely walk.

Jesus.

Where would I buy one of those tension bands?

The bit running down the outside of my knee (both fucking knees) is totally killing me. Every time I get up out of my seat to go to the printer / make tea / go for a piss etc I can barely walk.

Jesus.

Where would I buy one of those tension bands?

Get one from the physio people for free (it's just like a long strip of rubber).

Get your doctor to refer you for NHS physio.

Or I'm sure Boots or somewhere will sell similar.

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Anterior Knee Pain) in Brief - Knee

I used to suffer from this bad boy. Wasn't really too bad for the most part, apart from the one time I woke up in the middle of the night with my knee locked straight and in phenomenal pain. Eased off very quickly though.

Used my football contacts to get some physio, and ended up with an insole which seemed to do the trick.

I can pass on details of the Peterheid physio if you're looking for some advice. Top bloke and he'll definitely sort you out. Think he's Elgin-based now, but works in the Deen a couple of days a week. He can come to you.

Guest Gladstone

I used to suffer from this bad boy. Wasn't really too bad for the most part, apart from the one time I woke up in the middle of the night with my knee locked straight and in phenomenal pain. Eased off very quickly though.

Used my football contacts to get some physio, and ended up with an insole which seemed to do the trick.

I can pass on details of the Peterheid physio if you're looking for some advice. Top bloke and he'll definitely sort you out. Think he's Elgin-based now, but works in the Deen a couple of days a week. He can come to you.

Cheers :up:

The pain has eased off a lot today. It's still sore going down stairs, but other than that it's not too bad.

I've ordered some tension bands, and will give them a whirl and see how I get on. If it gets to the stage of requiring physio, I'll give you a shout.

That's exactly what I get!

And the physio didn't help much.

I may get an insole and try it.... where did you pick them up?

That's exactly what I get!

And the physio didn't help much.

I may get an insole and try it.... where did you pick them up?

Um, the dude happened to have one spare. Think the running place on Holburn St would have them. It's a weird shape, I'll stick up a pic when I get back from london

Guest Gladstone

Those tension bands are the business.

I got mine on Friday, and did an hour on the treadmill this morning. My knee isn't sore at all!

(I haven't used the tension bands yet, but that's irrelevant)