aberdeen-music

Bank Charges

Le Stu

Wow, HBOS are ****s. Their latest scam is replacing overdraft interest with a fixed 1 per day charge for overdrafts from Dec 6th.

This means I need to go much more massively into debt with them before I break even on the 20-30 pound a month I'm gonna be paying them, instead of the 2-3 I currently pay in interest.

Wow, HBOS are ****s. Their latest scam is replacing overdraft interest with a fixed 1 per day charge for overdrafts from Dec 6th.

This means I need to go much more massively into debt with them before I break even on the 20-30 pound a month I'm gonna be paying them, instead of the 2-3 I currently pay in interest.

Aye, was looking to move to another bank, although the rest will probably follow suit. :down:

Checked my bank account yesterday to discover that I had inadvertantly gone over my agreed overdraft by charging 3 items to my debit card. HBOS decided to charge 35 for EACH breach, ie 105 in total, PLUS 28 "for going into unauthorised overdraft". Um, wasn't that what the 35 charges were for???

In the end a grovelling phone call saying it was a mistake on my part and pointing out that it had never happened before got them to drop all but a 3 interest charge. Phew.

Aye, was looking to move to another bank, although the rest will probably follow suit. :down:

Checked my bank account yesterday to discover that I had inadvertantly gone over my agreed overdraft by charging 3 items to my debit card. HBOS decided to charge 35 for EACH breach, ie 105 in total, PLUS 28 "for going into unauthorised overdraft". Um, wasn't that what the 35 charges were for???

In the end a grovelling phone call saying it was a mistake on my part and pointing out that it had never happened before got them to drop all but a 3 interest charge. Phew.

Yeah, I've never been sure what that cryptic 'monthly overdraft fee' bullshit was about. I already moved my account to another bank (and a solvent one at that so I'm hoping they'll leave me alone.) and I'm just waiting to get my hundreds back that they already stole before closing the HBOS one. Was there a verdict on the court case yet? Anyone know?

Yeah, i'm not keen on this principle at all. Is it for any overdraft facility or if you go over the arranged overdraft?

I haven't looked at the detail of the new agreement, just the letter that came through my door an hour ago but it seems that any authorised overdraft will run at 1 a day (working days or calenders days I'm not certain about) and unauthorised overdrafts will run at 5 a day.

Oh, and they cancelled my 0.1% interest which nearly caused me a belly laugh.

I haven't looked at the detail of the new agreement, just the letter that came through my door an hour ago but it seems that any authorised overdraft will run at 1 a day (working days or calenders days I'm not certain about) and unauthorised overdrafts will run at 5 a day.

Oh, and they cancelled my 0.1% interest which nearly caused me a belly laugh.

If i didn't have such a massive overdraft i'd move banks :(

Post from that thread on why they are doing this:

The changes are a reaction to the likely loss of the Test Case on bank charges, and a subsequent ruling by the OFT that charges are, indeed, unfair under UTTCR. They have reduced unauthorised overdraft charges from 35 (max of 3 per day) and 28 to 5 per day. So if something goes down, to balance the books, something else has to go up: arranged overdraft charges.

Yeah, I suppose that seems fair enough, and it's ridiculous that we're all using our bank accounts like credit cards, but they're stalling on paying us back the money they owe us according to that site:down:

Yup, although having never been charged before (well, I can remember a few when I first opened my account in 1994 but I don't suppose there's much I can do about that) I don't see why I should be penalised.

That said, hoping to be overdraft free next month. Still might move account though. In any case, that thread recommends moving account to get the free 5 per month if you pay more than a grand in.

Yup, although having never been charged before (well, I can remember a few when I first opened my account in 1994 but I don't suppose there's much I can do about that) I don't see why I should be penalised.

That said, hoping to be overdraft free next month. Still might move account though. In any case, that thread recommends moving account to get the free 5 per month if you pay more than a grand in.

The other solution is to become a student, but it seems several thousand people just had that bright ideas for other reasons.

Bank won't even give me a debit card, nevermind an overdraft. It's like they just don't want my debt. What kind of backwards bank are they running here?

A massively insolvent one with shit-thy-pants amounts of derivatives liabilities that they're desperately trying to hide.:up:

I'm in the midst of reclaiming my charges from Lloyds TSB using the template letters from that site. TSB charge around 25 per day for an unplanned overdraft. Bastards.

Aye, I think those 35 charges I mentioned earlier might have been per day too, fortunately I had a payment go in quickly to cover them otherwise I'd have been in the shit.

Loathe to change bank accounts though, moved from Clydesdale to HBOS a few years ago after getting pissed off with Clydesdale, they say it's easy but it's not, it's a pain in the arse. :down:

Never understood why they are being tight with their debit cards. They aren't giving me credit. They are just giving me my money as an electronic entity rather than bits of paper. The cunts.

I could just get a new bank account, but I'm just too darn stubborn, and I intend to win. Once I do eventually win, and get the debit card through the post, I will post it back to them, in a ziplock bag full of shit. Maybe.