aberdeen-music

New electronic project

Suimasen

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howd'y folks, been working on some electronic stuff recently would like to see what ya think. shiv on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I'm fairly new to this kinda stuff but hoping to try and get enough material together to do a live set at some point. Anyways cheers if you do take the time to listen to it! :up:

Good work! Electronic music is fun to make. What sort of set up have you been using and how you going to take it live?

Thanks man, really appreciate it! I think it might be awhile yet till i do any sort of live set. Need to get some certain equipment together and stuff. Hoping to get visuals too! But yeah it's the main goal and i'd love to do this live so i'll keep ya posted. Thanks for listening... I will try make the Debutant gig on the 9th! It's good stuff.

I think:

The beats are pretty generic and it's way too busy. A lot of the songs seem to be, rather than one or two really good ideas; many ok-ish ones. I often think DAWs give you too much choice. A bit of character in the sounds and depth perspective in the production would be nice. Given poor myspace quality, I find it almost un-listenable.

But there are also some pretty cool ideas, and the beginnings of both the second and third songs are unusual and quite gripping.

I think the busyness works in its favour. It's anything but a minimal sound he's going for. Sound quality isn't great and the depth thing i'll give you but have to disgree with the rest.

I think that It's not polished production by any means but at the moment sounds like electronic music designed to be played live in that I wouldn't stick it on at home but i'd definitely go to see it.

I think:

The beats are pretty generic and it's way too busy. A lot of the songs seem to be, rather than one or two really good ideas; many ok-ish ones. I often think DAWs give you too much choice. A bit of character in the sounds and depth perspective in the production would be nice. Given poor myspace quality, I find it almost un-listenable.

But there are also some pretty cool ideas, and the beginnings of both the second and third songs are unusual and quite gripping.

I do understand where you are coming from with the lack of "body" in the production as i do find the programme i'm currently using does lack that. I've gotten a hold of a copy of pro tools so going try fucking about with that and see if can boast the sound. I do think however that some parts have got abit of character and are quite playful/colourful. Generic beats again i wouldn't of said so much.. but yeah, it's your opinion and i respect that. If i'd thought the sound quality was as bad as to say "almost un-listenable", i most likely wouldn't have put anything up. It can definitely benefit from abit of mastering etc. When it comes to writing i do really like alot of things to be happening, just find it makes it more interesting. It's something that i'm very inspired by, the likes of aphex twin etc ( yes fair enough he does it alot better haha) but it is what i personally like.

All and all i have taken on board what you have said!

Thanks for listening and the feedback.

I think I was a bit harsh last night, I do actually enjoy bits of it. How do you make your tracks?

Maybe because your influences shine through so obviously I'm just seeing it as a imitation of Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin. It's routine, nothing new, and a pretty unpleasant listen at times. On the plus side it's occasionally musical and considered which is nice. Not so keen on the soaring pads or abrasive leads though. A hell of a lot of em are mixed badly (too loud) and very preset-like. My fave bit is definitely the quirky thing at the start and end of the 3rd track, with the kind of dodging, cut up thing.

My personal experience of creating electronic music involves spending long periods of time working on (what I hope are decent) sounds and interesting, cohesive structures. This idea of just slamming everything down doesn't really appeal to me. It's fast paced, unrefined and disorderly. I'm an techno tory :p

This idea of just slamming everything down doesn't really appeal to me. It's fast paced, unrefined and disorderly. I'm an techno tory :p

You know my opinion on that one! I like the rough and ready approach. I spend the most time choosing the instrumentation. Ideas are quick and I like to get them down fast then spend time on the construction and development. That's the spice of music though, each person has their own way.

just because it's electronic doesn't mean it has to be digital in accuracy, a little human error can make an electronic song sound more human in my opinion.

Well said Colin,i find Kimy's comments about other peoples music tend to be a bit negative and derogatory.Obviously you will never make music that everyone likes,but words of encouragement i find are far more productive.....especially to a young developing artist.

Different people work in different ways. I tend to get spurred on by negative criticism; the I'll show you complex of a rampant narcissist.

Absolutely,but just because you get "spurned on" by negative criticism,surely doesn't justify you doing that to another artist.After all who are you,to judge them or their music.:up:

Absolutely,but just because you get "spurned on" by negative criticism,surely doesn't justify you doing that to another artist.After all who are you,to judge them or their music.:up:

He is a member of the website the OP posted on in the 'feedback forum'.

I believe he is entitled to give any feedback he wants.

He is a member of the website the OP posted on in the 'feedback forum'.

I believe he is entitled to give any feedback he wants.

Easy tiger,I didn't say he wasn't entitled to do that did i?

You asked who he was to judge someone's music. The guy whose music it is posted it up here to be judged.

Yes....feedback is different from judgement,negative comments can be counter productive.Why not say something positive rather than negative.There is a lot to be said for etiquette.I'm not here to argue with you!