aberdeen-music

Jazz albums

Guest Sundaram

What are your favourite jazz albums?

This my current fav' date=' the flute playing on this is DA SHIT I tell yeh![/quote']

Bitches Brew by M Davis is good but I like most of the things on this compilation...

Almost Space Free Jazz

- well Jazz is a rather broad genre and this might stretch it even further. Some classics from the 60s, 70s and 80s and some more up to date tracks from Chicago, Norway and New York. Not easy listening at times (e.g. Naked City) but not totaly free jazz either.

Side 1

Sun Ra & His Solar Arkestra Cosmic Chaos

Soury Simmons Interplanetary travelers

Frank Lowe Brother Joseph

Clavin Keys Aunt Lovey

The Awakening Mode for DD

Chicago Underground Quartet Nostalgia

Chicago Underground Quartet Tunnel Chrome

Hakon Berge Imprint of the Baccldae

Maja SK Ratkje Sinus Seduction

Side 2

Naked City Okska Bondage

Bobby Watson Perpetual Groove

Miles Davis Sanctuary (edit)

Radian Jet

Jaga Jazzist Animal Chain

Colleen Everyone wants answers

Polmo Polpo Like hearts swelling

Eric Friedlander May it please heaven

Steve Reid Lions of Judah

David Durrah Space 2

Byron Morris & Unity Kitty Bey

i listened to a naked city album once and it gave me a headache. crazy crazy stuff, that john zorn needs to relax i tells ya. :)

i'd have to go for in a silent way or headunters by herbie hancock.

i'm not really clued up on my jazz actually so any tips would be greatly appreciated, i have to say i don't really like any of the totally frantic stuff. much more of a mellow jazz fan.

incidentally, anyone a fan of karate? they're kind of indie jazz. i like them a lot.

my faves would be

charles mingus : mingus ah um

dave brubeck : time out

miles davis : miles ahead

lee evans : sidewinder (the All Seeing Eye have something to say about that !)

tom waits : nighthawks at the diner...nice!

that's the good thing about Fopp (sorry dave) the Jazz is only 5 quid a CD (usually), so you can really experiment...

Painkiller : execution ground (now, that is extreme, but in the right frame of mind, it's one of the best CD's you could ever want to hear)

if you want a mellow introduction to jazz, I'd reccomend :

miles davis : mellow miles (appart from those stinky 80's numbers)

my faves would be

charles mingus : mingus ah um

dave brubeck : time out

miles davis : miles ahead

lee evans : sidewinder (the All Seeing Eye have something to say about that !)

tom waits : nighthawks at the diner...nice!

that's the good thing about Fopp (sorry dave) the Jazz is only 5 quid a CD (usually)' date=' so you can really experiment...

Painkiller : execution ground (now, that is extreme, but in the right frame of mind, it's one of the best CD's you could ever want to hear)

if you want a mellow introduction to jazz, I'd reccomend :

miles davis : mellow miles (appart from those stinky 80's numbers)[/quote']

Aye I agree try a few Blue Note & other Jazz compilations in Fopp for a fiver. Then work up to Universal Sounds of America by Soul Jazz Records / Black Jazz by Soul Jazz, Chicago Underground Quartet / Duo / Trio and Jagga Jazzist et al. I also believe the Matthew Herbert recent album is worth getting... You also get jazz on Wire compilations

Dave

I like these a lot...............

Thelonious Monk/Gerry Mulligan "'Round Midnight" (esp whole side of title track!)

John Coltrane "Live at Birdland"

Charlie Mingus "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus"

Miles Davis Quintet "Relaxin' with..."

Moondog "Moondog"

Slim Gaillard "Mc Vouty" (one of my heroes!......shook hands with him in Glasgow once)

The Spirits of Rhythm "1933-34"

Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto "Getz/Gilberto"

I'm currently doing battle with the somewhat scary voice of Patty Waters, but still haven't come round to it yet!

Kitchen Cynics o'roonie!!.......................................................................................

I like these a lot...............

Thelonious Monk/Gerry Mulligan "'Round Midnight" (esp whole side of title track!)

John Coltrane "Live at Birdland"

Charlie Mingus "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus"

Miles Davis Quintet "Relaxin' with..."

Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto "Getz/Gilberto"

I have all of these.. Really good. I`m a big fan of Thelonious Monk and also Hank Mobley...

"Workout" by Hank Mobley being a personal favourite. Philly Joe Jones plays drums on that album. Paul Chambers on bass too if I recall.. Most of my Jazz is very much from the same era. Same musicians etc.

Not a big fan of vibraphone in jazz. I also hate smooth jazz.... Kenny G can burn in hell...

I agree with you on the vibes front, Ross. I remember seeing the MJQ at the Music Hall a few years back, and it was pretty clinical......too refined, I think. I like bits of Brubeck, but he also has an overly cerebral approach, IMO.

Hank Mobley I will now investigate....thanks.

Kitchen Cynics....................................gefilte fish o'roonie........................................

I also hate smooth jazz.... Kenny G can burn in hell...

Seconded - smooth jazz is terrible ! Not that interested in Big Band jazz but Matthew Herbert and Radiohead have sampled / used it on recent albums...

Dave

PS Is the guy in my avatar a jazz man ? Well if not he kind of looks it...

Well' date=' Eddie Costa's vibraphone playing is ace, so naah! :p[/quote']

I recall being told that Red Somebody (was it Sovine, or is that a c&w guy?) was a brill vibes player. Could it be Red Norvo,....or was he a comedian?

Any chance of hearing the Harold McNair solo album....I've only heard him as a session player?

Kitchen Cynics..........................................................hep-hop hooray!..................

Guest Sundaram
Seconded - smooth jazz is terrible ! Not that interested in Big Band jazz but Matthew Herbert and Radiohead have sampled / used it on recent albums...

Dave

PS Is the guy in my avatar a jazz man ? Well if not he kind of looks it...

He looks a bit like Eddie Harris!

I have 3 Harold McNair solo albums that I'll give you a lend of Alan. They are probably my most treasured albums!

I recall being told that Red Somebody (was it Sovine' date=' or is that a c&w guy?) was a brill vibes player. Could it be Red Norvo,....or was he a comedian?

[/quote']

Red Norvo was a xylophone and vibraphone player, he played with Benny Goodman, then later with Charlie Mingus and also did some work for Frank Sinatra.

Thanks, Philip......I look forward to hearing them.

Someone has just e-mailed me some mp3s by the Six Feet Trio......thank you whoever it was....I'm listening to "Summertime" right now.

There's something about flute players...............doncha just love 'em?........................

(Cat got your tongue, Philip?) :D

Also thanks, Frosty.....that's the very chap!

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake
What are your favourite jazz albums?

2190Harold_McNair_a.jpg

This my current fav' date=' the flute playing on this is DA SHIT I tell yeh![/quote']

this is ace! (well...what i've heard anyway)

it actually makes me want to learn to play flute...a-mazing i tell you!

Don't take up the flute, FF!!!!!.........if you do, you will become dangerously desirable, and will have sad old men drooling as you pass (well, this one anyway!).

Take up the banjo instead....................it's much safer.

Kitchen Cynics..........................................one flute over the cuckoo's nest..............

Guest Sundaram
Don't take up the flute' date=' FF!!!!!.........if you do, you will become dangerously desirable, and will have sad old men drooling as you pass (well, this one anyway!).

Take up the banjo instead....................it's much safer.

Kitchen Cynics..........................................one flute over the cuckoo's nest..............[/quote']

Does this mean you drool over me?

Oh my, I'm beginning to question your invites "for a jam" now!!! :ding:

Everyone drools over you, Philip, as you well know. However it's the thought of Forbidden Fruitcake making wonderful sounds on a beautiful instrument which really gets the heart beating, so don't be worried!

Kitchen Cynics.............................................Forbidden Flutecake rules, ya bass........