aberdeen-music

Synth wanted!

Whistle Tester

Does anybody, or their dad / mum, (Old gear this), have any of the following Synths tucked away in a cupboard somewhere?

Sequential Circuits Prophet V.

Sequential Circuits Pro One.

Sequential Circuits Prophet 600.

Yamaha CS101,(I think this is the Model No.)?

Yamaha CS70M.

Moog Prodigy.

Mini Moog.

Fingers crossed.

I'm aware there are soft synths / Plug ins available, but, better the devil you know!.

G those prophet v's are so rare that anyone who has one will surely know it's value.....they sound fu....g awesome though.Bought a sequential circuits hoodie for 15....closest i'll get to owning anything by them...lolz

What's the budget? I think high quallity synths are just pricey regardless, unless it's broken and needs a complete referbishment you won't get anything extra special for under 600 I shouldn't think. Is there a reason it particularly has to be one of the ones mentioned above? There are some totally decent modern analogues/analogue modelling synths that might be more within a sensible price range.

Having said that I still would like a Juno 106 or a Korg MS20.

I might be wrong,but i don't think you can do things like use the filters for external audio with new synths!Drum and Bass producer Optical uses this on his prophet v for basslines.

Hadn't really thought about that as I don't really play guitar/bass, but take a look here...

Article: Access: Virus TI Snow.(GEAR: Xtreme Guitar)(Product/service evaluation) | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy

You can use it as an external processor. I'm not sure what it sounds like though (will give it a try). Says that all you have to do is plug your instrument into the input and switch the setting so that becomes the sound source instead of the oscillators.

There is also a cool effect called Atomizer, you can take an input - this could be anything from another instrument to track you have written playing through a CD player - and you can affect what comes through doing real time glitching/beatslicing. I haven't spent any time messing around with this but from the videos it looks fun to play with -

I always harp on about the virus but it is a powerhouse. It is also constantly supported and upgraded (firmware wise) with new fresh effects and patches.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Korg MS10 is the best budget synth for bass that I have played, there was one in R&B for ages for like 500 quid or something obscene. Colin, you still got that Moog MG1? I liked the bass on that too but it was definitely hotter for leads.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Jesus christ...having said that is there such thing as a 'cheap' vintage synth?

I just looked on eBay's completed listings for a Yamaha CS01, a very simple analogue synth that I sold at a profit a few years back on ebay for like 80...the last one sold as of this moment went for 172!

There's an MS10 that went for over 500...wtf?

Still got it man. I love the thickness of it's sound, such a "real" sound too compared with the digital analogue modellers (although they can do other completely different amazing things) . It's only missing a couple of features that would make it absolutely amazing in my book, rather than just awesome.

You any closer to your MPC dream?

• 3 weeks later...
Hadn't really thought about that as I don't really play guitar/bass, but take a look here...

Article: Access: Virus TI Snow.(GEAR: Xtreme Guitar)(Product/service evaluation) | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy

You can use it as an external processor. I'm not sure what it sounds like though (will give it a try). Says that all you have to do is plug your instrument into the input and switch the setting so that becomes the sound source instead of the oscillators.

There is also a cool effect called Atomizer, you can take an input - this could be anything from another instrument to track you have written playing through a CD player - and you can affect what comes through doing real time glitching/beatslicing. I haven't spent any time messing around with this but from the videos it looks fun to play with -

I always harp on about the virus but it is a powerhouse. It is also constantly supported and upgraded (firmware wise) with new fresh effects and patches.

Got it to work with bass tonight. Need to play around with it to see what it can do.

How's the largo Rod?