aberdeen-music

The Decemberists

Shaki

I do so love The Decemberists. The new album, The Hazards of Love, is a veritable rock opera - something I'd normally balk at - but it's marvellous and I'm unashamedly addicted to it.

For my money, they'll have to go a long way to beat The Mariner's Revenge Song from Picaresque (

- not the original video), but most stuff they release is gold.

I do so love The Decemberists. The new album, The Hazards of Love, is a veritable rock opera - something I'd normally balk at - but it's marvellous and I'm unashamedly addicted to it.

For my money, they'll have to go a long way to beat The Mariner's Revenge Song from Picaresque (

- not the original video), but most stuff they release is gold.

Same. I picked up the Hazards of Love without knowing its 'concept' and was a bit bummed once I realised what it was... until I realised it bucked the trend of those pretensious as hell albums by actually being bloody brilliant.

Fantastic band! Colin Meloy solo live album got me into them, it's fantastic! He was NPR radio and I *think* you can still stream/download the set from all songs considered section of their site.

I've got 4 or 5 albums and I love them all. Great band live, Colin is a great front man, very entertaining. Hazards of Love would be a bad place to start, but it is a good progression for them as a band.

I've got 4 or 5 albums and I love them all. Great band live, Colin is a great front man, very entertaining. Hazards of Love would be a bad place to start, but it is a good progression for them as a band.

Apparently the current live set is the entirety of Hazards of Love followed by a 'greatest hits' stylee hour-odd encore. Pity they're only playing London.

• 1 year later...
One of those bands where I have one album (Picaresque) which I really like but I've never really felt a strong desire to investigate the rest of their discography.

Buy the Crane Wife, it is pretty amazing. The Hazards of Love is a good record too, but I feel it is overly long. And as it is a concept album, I can never really just listen to the odd song; I have to go for the whole thing. I am a bit weird like that...

I shall definitely make the effort to go and see them in March, excited!