aberdeen-music

Hiwatt Hi-Gain 50watt Amphead

Fraser Mac

I find Hiwatt amps have quite a Marshall characteristic about them. Trebley heavy and lots of grit. I personally like the Marshall sound, so it depends on your tastes. You could probably colour the distortion to your needs with a Tubescreamer or something.

No point in the 100w model, as you won't get that crunchy break-up at the right volume, and you'll spending a few more quid on a Power Soak/Hotplate.

I Ended up getting the 100watt, got it for less than the 50watt,

prob stick a maxxon tube screamer in front of it and see how it plays out,

Decent, I'd imagine. Just out of interest, how much was it? Reckon it'll be spot on for what your playing. Joe was right though I reckon... the 50w probably would have been a little easier to get sounding good.

I've got the 50w Hi-gain head without the reverb controls, made in england. I think it's really good! without being an amp aficiando I went for it without properly hearing one, read a bit about them on the internet, saying they were good with pedals etc. also cosiderin Duane Denison, J Mascis and Pete Townsend are fans.

I find Hiwatt amps have quite a Marshall characteristic about them. Trebley heavy and lots of grit. I personally like the Marshall sound, so it depends on your tastes. You could probably colour the distortion to your needs with a Tubescreamer or something.

No point in the 100w model, as you won't get that crunchy break-up at the right volume, and you'll spending a few more quid on a Power Soak/Hotplate.

As you say. it's good gettin the crunchy break up using the master and I push it with an OD3 which works for me. Wouldn't go as far as saying it's perfect but when do you ever think that with amps? It's really responsive and it's got a nice gritty sound which doesn't stray into metal distortion unless you use the hi gain channel (which I don't)

With the Hi gain channel, it makes it more versatile I guess. It's perfect for hardcore, it's clear sounding but you can make it sound very aggresive!

I like to think of it as sounding imperfectly perfect :up:

Just to let you know I bought mine new for about 600 from Fret Music. The boy said it was slightly mare expensive as it is English made.

How you enjoying it?