aberdeen-music

Franz Ferdinand

Rob

Guest The Tourist

You know what was weird?

When I walked in to the Virgin Megastore in Times Square yesterday and Franz Ferdinand were number 6 in the charts...

i doubt they'll even bother to make the trip up here

If you think about it, is it the bands fault they don't come up here ?

or promoters "not bothering", or thinking they are too expensive, and don't bother finding out ?

I've often wondered who's to blame for these things...

Like a band releaseing a million and one "best of" Cd's (the RCHP's spring to mind)...now, is it the band ? or the record company ?

more thought, less typing.

I personally have a lot of respect for the Franz Ferdinand chaps, lovely chaps that they are... Alex used to live up here... so it would'nt suprise me if they did play an aberdeen date. I\d definately go to see them.

Lovely chaps... I don't have a bad word to say about them.

Any band who consume 87.3% of the air in radio overplay deserve hatred.

what a cock.

I hate posts like that. uninformed, reactionary bollox.

did they ask for the airplay ?

did they ask that the nation thinks they are worthy of being "popular" ?

shut up, and climb back in your "underground" cupboard.

what a cock.

I hate posts like that. uninformed' date=' reactionary bollox.

did they ask for the airplay ?

did they ask that the nation thinks they are worthy of being "popular" ?

shut up, and climb back in your "underground" cupboard.[/quote']

I'm with you.

The band themselves are talented, and have some original ideas... I love them, and respect them. The fact that they get airplay is incidental... this doesn't affect how good a band is, only how they are percieved by ignorant, "I'm so alternative" twats.

I'm with you.

The band themselves are talented' date=' and have some original ideas... I love them, and respect them. The fact that they get airplay is incidental... this doesn't affect how good a band is, only how they are percieved by ignorant, "I'm so alternative" twats.[/quote']

I think they borrowed their "original ideas" from XTC in some cases, but I think they're a really good pop band. I have a suspicion 'Vis is OWA's bassist, so I don't want to upset him, he could probably kick my ass. :help:

I agree that the band are not bad; i aint got their album yet; but like what i've heard so far; esp. "matinee" it isnt the bands fault if the radio deem them good enough to recieve a large portion of airplay, also can I ask if someone can gies a post as well to let me know if they are playing in Aberdeen? Cheers solid citizens.

undefined

Fair do's Hog, so you hate the Franz boys: I thinks its a little churlish to hate people because of their musical tastes. The beauty of music is that it IS so varied, with different genres, tastes and shit. I think it would be a stale boring planet if we liked all the same shit as you!

:up:

If you think about it' date=' is it the bands fault they don't come up here ?

or promoters "not bothering", or thinking they are too expensive, and don't bother finding out ?

I've often wondered who's to blame for these things...

[/quote']

It could be bacause the band probably have limited time and their management will want them to play the biggest venues they can in as short a time as possible. Also at the stage FF are at the moment local promoters won't get a look in, the big boys will be carving up the tour as I type, unless they've already done so.

What's the bets it's Regular or DF (my moneys on DF) promoting them in Scotland.

On the other hand with their Scottish connections (although their European, goddammit) I wouldn't rule out Aberdeen, unless the management remember there was only about 40 people watched them last time they played here.

This argument seems dated to me to be honest. Franz Ferdinand are an excellent band. I sometimes wonder what it is about the mainstream that gets people so hot and bothered...if you don't like it you're not obliged to listen to it. Yes, maybe you live in a world where music you don't like is prominent wherever you look, and that ain't good, but you have the choice to ignore it without making judgement on everyone who listens to it.

Of course I'm aware that the mainstream crowd is sometimes equally judgemental of people who steer clear of it. But as soon as we dive into this argument it's not even really about music anymore, it's about people. I admire those musicians who plug away doing what they love and surviving on a small fan base with their musical integrity fully intact. There's some wonderful stuff out there that not many people get exposed to, but that's the nature of the music industry.

Furthermore, I think you've got to concede that bands who achieve massive airplay don't aim for it specifically (as, Im aware, several people have already pointed out) I write music which might be deemed conciliatory to the tstes of a mainstream crowd, but I don't deliberately tailor it that way because the man says it's what I've got to do to have success in my field. It's because I have a genuine, unashamed love of what I hear from bands like Coldplay, Lowgold, U2, and the Stone Roses. And Franz Ferdinand I'm afraid!

franz ferdinand suck

I never thought so before, but huge type is the most persuasive argument I have ever seen. Christ, how could I have been so blind! Franz Ferdinand DO suck!

Anyway, I think people confuse "mainstream" with "commercial". See, when music is MADE to be commerical, I agree that it often lacks something. It becomes aural junk-food. Look, we all know this. This doesn't mean that is succesful is necessary bad, though. It just means it's....succesful.