aberdeen-music

innovation in aberdeen

Cloud

Guest highroller

haha...a touch of the old ben quik syndrome there dude...chill it out...with the bounty killer and no doubt.

oh totally dude...your right about the old social life there...i mean...there is no depth in my bands music...at all...its just a social tool...i mean, what are LOCKJAW records doing using a quik track for a worldwide compilation cd that they are doing...on the back of HOUSEHOLDNAME records reccomending us to them...hmmmm? They must be deaf.

Oh and regarding the mp3 thing...i was referring to someone who i had a similar convo with who had listened to the old and not the new...jesus...do you even stop to ponder these possibilities?

youre great stripey...superb.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail
to be totally honest' date=' and i SWEAR im just putting my opinion forward here and not wanting a huge argument.

Sky your views in this thread annoy me quite alot...you constantly talk like someone who has a good knowledge and understanding of the local scene when in fact you rarely attend gigs...if at all...as far as i know you dont go to Moshulu on club nights either.

Your views seem to have been formed from this site when the only true way to gather knowledge on the local scene is (rather obviously) to go to gigs and listen to local band releases.

I dont think there are many people on here who would actually know who you are if you were to go to a show. What I mean by this is that you have very little or no presence in relation to the kind of views you put in text on here. Most people on here will know who each other are even if they havent spoke just by seeing them regularly at shows.

Im not picking on you (I SWEAR ON MY TAMA DRUM KIT THAT I LOVE DEARLY) its just your posts bother get up my nose a bit coming from a non regular at local shows.

what was the last gig you were at, in all honesty?

You may prove me wrong. If so well done. Its merely my curiosity that has prompted me to ask.[/quote']

What has attending Moshulu have to do with anything? Is attendance obligatory if an individual is to in any way understand Aberdeen's music community?

Guest Stripey
haha...a touch of the old ben quik syndrome there dude...chill it out...with the bounty killer and no doubt.

oh totally dude...your right about the old social life there...i mean...there is no depth in my bands music...at all...its just a social tool...i mean' date=' what are LOCKJAW records doing using a quik track for a worldwide compilation cd that they are doing...on the back of HOUSEHOLDNAME records reccomending us to them...hmmmm? They must be deaf.

Oh and regarding the mp3 thing...i was referring to someone who i had a similar convo with who had listened to the old and not the new...jesus...do you even stop to ponder these possibilities?

youre great stripey...superb.[/quote']

See, it's all about how cool and great you are isn't it? You're so egocentric you think that my post was about you, even though I'm talking about the scene as a whole.

Having just listened to 2 of your songs, I fail to see what makes you think they have depth. It's exactly the kind of bland, disposable MTV-esque trash that people have been talking about in this thread.

Just because you're constantly being bombarded with fast-food music doesn't necessarily excuse copying that music. Does that trend not worry you? In a community that proclaims so stridently that they're "alternative" and "open-minded"' date=' is it not alarming that these people copy everything that they hear? Intelligence is, of course, not always accompanied by innovation or originality, but one would hope for a slightly higher amount of both being in evidence in Aberdeen. Bear in mind that this is a student-filled city, with one of the best Universities in Scotland, and we [i']still can't turn out anything other than Blinkalikes or Funeral For Our Formula? That's more worrying than anything.

You seem to be getting your information on the diversity of music in Aberdeen from the same place as Stripey, mostly in your head, or the AUBL downloads.

There are plenty of bands out there who don't sound anything like you describe, maybe you should try finding the ones that are different and ignoring the ones you don't like, it seems like the easy option.

I've stopped worrying about it, it'll never change because as soon as something becomes popular (e.g. this innovative music of which you speak) it is no longer innovative cos every fucker wants a slice of the action and will copy it, then we'll be looking for something innovative again once we're sick to the back teeth of that.

I find it best to let innovation take it's course naturally, not to try to force it, because the innovators are normally rebelling against the norm and quite often the music shows the passion. Basically leave people to it and it'll happen when it needs to.

oh totally dude...your right about the old social life there...i mean...there is no depth in my bands music...at all...its just a social tool...i mean' date=' what are LOCKJAW records doing using a quik track for a worldwide compilation cd that they are doing...on the back of HOUSEHOLDNAME records reccomending us to them...hmmmm? They must be deaf.

[/quote']

Kick ass. Is that the same one as WBL?

Guest Sundaram
well? is there enough innovation in aberdeen or not' date=' music wise?

(and by that, I mean music in general - are promoters for instance making the effort to create innovative line ups? are bands trying to diversify enough to hold interest? you make the questions..)[/quote']

Innovation - No

Diversity - Yes

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch
You seem to be getting your information on the diversity of music in Aberdeen from the same place as Stripey' date=' mostly in your head, or the AUBL downloads.

There are plenty of bands out there who don't sound anything like you describe, maybe you should try finding the ones that are different and ignoring the ones you don't like, it seems like the easy option.

I've stopped worrying about it, it'll never change because as soon as something becomes popular (e.g. this innovative music of which you speak) it is no longer innovative cos every fucker wants a slice of the action and will copy it, then we'll be looking for something innovative again once we're sick to the back teeth of that.

I find it best to let innovation take it's course naturally, not to try to force it, because the innovators are normally rebelling against the norm and quite often the music shows the passion. Basically leave people to it and it'll happen when it needs to.[/quote']

Bit of a defeatist attitude and not very encouraging at all, i am surprised that you of all people wouldn't like to see this music scene get a right good kick up the arse cos you have to do the sound for a lot of these atrocious bands some of us are moaning about.

Your last paragraph does make a point though, if more bands here were seen and heard to be rebelling against the norm it might encourage others to take more braver approaches to making music and actually make something that challenges the norm.

There's too many bands here who are just accepting the norm and following the norm, there's so little point in replicating the past or replicating other bands, making music and the ability to make music should be a fucking gift and a fucking blessing and using it to make garbage is just fucking offensive and lazy.

There's so many bands out there just trying to do the same shit as their heroes or what their favourite bands are doing yet they call themselves "musicians" and "artists", whats so fucking artistic about copying someone else's musical style and image? thats just one step away from making you a covers band.

There's so many people in this city and other cities as well just using the same influences and bands as templates to make their own rehash of a certain sound by using the same corny riffs, the same tried-and-tested musical formulas and adopting the same record company created images to make themselves into a a fucking emo band or a skatepunk band or an indie band or whatever.

Its like no-one is using their own minds to make music, they're using other people's ideas and just copying off them to produce watered-down garbage, you'd think with the ability to play music you'd at least find your own fucking sound and your own fucking voice, there ain't a lot of people really putting in the time and effort to actually make music the way it should be made, too many cats are only too interested in getting up onstage to play their fast food music to their pals and act like fucking rockstars so they can go to Moshulu at the weekend and walk around like they're the fucking Mick Jagger of the Aberdeen music scene.

Guest highroller
fuck it' date=' music is music.good music is good music, bad music is bad music and innovative music is innovative music.[/quote']

superb...

great post my friend. I agree.

Bit of a defeatist attitude and not very encouraging at all' date=' i am surprised that you of all people wouldn't like to see this music scene get a right good kick up the arse cos you have to do the sound for a lot of these atrocious bands some of us are moaning about.

Your last paragraph does make a point though, if more bands here were seen and heard to be rebelling against the norm it might encourage others to take more braver approaches to making music and actually make something that challenges the norm.

.[/quote']

I'm relying on a preussure cooker approach here. If all people tend to hear is recycled crap then enough people will get pissed off at the recycled crap to want to write/listen to something completely different. The more recycled crap there is, the more people will despise it and the further from it they'll go in their musical musings.

Think of it as the storm before the calm.

So I'm not defeatist, just patient.(No laughing at the back).

p.s. It's no use giving musicians a kick up the arse, they're rebels man. A gentle word in the ear and a friendly point in the direction of 'somewhere else' for those that seem receptive to change will work better. Subvert the scene from within.

What has attending Moshulu have to do with anything? Is attendance obligatory if an individual is to in any way understand Aberdeen's music community?

Thats a common mis conception Ive noticed too

I went to Moshulu (by accident) once. Or was it twice. Dunno. The music was ok. Safe MOR alternative stuff. Anyway, all I really saw was a bunch of very drunk posh kids trying very hard to be different. Thing is, they all looked EXACTLY the same. So I dont think the Moshulu club nights have any bearing on the local music scene or its INNOVATION at all. Some people who own guitars go there. That all. Some people who have guitars go to lots of other clubs too. Does that make sense?

too many cats are only too interested in getting up onstage to play their fast food music to their pals and act like fucking rockstars so they can go to Moshulu at the weekend and walk around like they're the fucking Mick Jagger of the Aberdeen music scene.

Ive noticed that attitude too.............you have to admit its funny to watch

Guest Stripey
fuck it' date=' music is music.good music is good music, bad music is bad music and innovative music is innovative music.[/quote']

..and a string of tautologies like that is just sheer bad english.

Like someone said earlier, the issue looks like complacency, and also I think, undiscerning cliquey audiences with the naive musical taste of schoolkids (wait a minute, a lot of them ARE schoolkids! Hang on, so are some of the bands!). I find it all very amusing, this pathetic little "scene" you have here, pulling each others cocks all day, before going on stage infront a load of simpletons for a musical jerk-off session.

Yeah soundian, maybe it is the "storm before the calm" as you put it, or maybe there is just a lot of uncreative and unimaginative people in this city.

Guest tv tanned

Stripey, if you didn't feel the terminal need to be so self-righteous and holier than thou in your critiques I would find them a lot more palatable.

If you wish to consider me a mindless simpleton based purely on my musical choice then that is entirely your own freedom.

Personally I find it a narrow-minded and judgemental stance, which I think is undermining a reasonably coherent criticism.

If you cut the 'Aberdonians are all fuckwits' from your prose, I bet you would attract more positive responses, otherwise you're just providing a distraction from the main argument you make.

Guest valley69
..and a string of tautologies like that is just sheer bad english.

Like someone said earlier' date=' the issue looks like complacency, and also I think, undiscerning cliquey audiences with the naive musical taste of schoolkids (wait a minute, a lot of them ARE schoolkids! Hang on, so are some of the bands!). I find it all very amusing, this pathetic little "scene" you have here, pulling each others cocks all day, before going on stage infront a load of simpletons for a musical jerk-off session.

Yeah soundian, maybe it is the "storm before the calm" as you put it, or maybe there is just a lot of uncreative and unimaginative people in this city.[/quote']

thats not really the case in aberdeen at all

Guest Sundaram
Stripey' date=' if you didn't feel the terminal need to be so self-righteous and holier than thou in your critiques I would find them a lot more palatable.

If you wish to consider me a mindless simpleton based purely on my musical choice then that is entirely your own freedom.

Personally I find it a narrow-minded and judgemental stance, which I think is undermining a reasonably coherent criticism.

If you cut the 'Aberdonians are all fuckwits' from your prose, I bet you would attract more positive responses, otherwise you're just providing a distraction from the main argument you make.[/quote']

But if your smart, you will realise that he is generalising with these "Aberdonian fuck wit" type posts... there are exceptions, yes, even in this grey city!

There is often a lot of truth at the core of what he says, he just chooses to say things in a extreme and taunting manner. It's funny to watch as the replies flow in though.

:)

Guest Sundaram
Phillip go and teach me sax

JCoffcentre.jpg

If you buy me a copy of 'Off Centre' by The John Cameron Quartet on Deram from 1969 I will teach you my bad habits for as long as you want, flute as well if you like!?

:)

Guest Stripey
Stripey' date=' if you didn't feel the terminal need to be so self-righteous and holier than thou in your critiques I would find them a lot more palatable.

If you cut the 'Aberdonians are all fuckwits' from your prose, I bet you would attract more positive responses, otherwise you're just providing a distraction from the main argument you make.[/quote']

It's my opinion, based on the people I've met in Aberdeen, like it or lump it.

Guest tv tanned
It's my opinion' date=' based on the people I've met in Aberdeen, like it or lump it.[/quote']

fair doos.

You obviously just haven't met the right people :D

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch

And do you call a spade a spade too?

I usually call it a shovel, what about you?