aberdeen-music

innovation in aberdeen

Cloud

well? is there enough innovation in aberdeen or not, music wise?

(and by that, I mean music in general - are promoters for instance making the effort to create innovative line ups? are bands trying to diversify enough to hold interest? you make the questions..)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got grindcore shit in SPD, horror punk in Karloff, pop-punk in Broken Sunshine, death metal in Vomitus, heavy stoneresque shit in 7 Stone Under, slightly more accessible indieish rock in Turning 13, jazzy musings in The Simon Gall Band, screamo or whatever in MMw, redneck influenced rawk in Deadloss Superstar - need I go on?

Aberdeen is a pretty diverse more rockwise in my opinion. Much better than a lot of the scenes I have any experience of. Perhaps more electronica and hip hop oriented stuff would be lovely but I'm never sure if there's that much scope for it live in the 'deen. Watch this space though ;)

We've got grindcore shit in SPD' date=' horror punk in Karloff, pop-punk in Broken Sunshine, [b']death metal in Vomitus, heavy stoneresque shit in 7 Stone Under, slightly more accessible indieish rock in Turning 13, jazzy musings in The Simon Gall Band, screamo or whatever in MMw, redneck influenced rawk in Deadloss Superstar - need I go on?

Aberdeen is a pretty diverse more rockwise in my opinion. Much better than a lot of the scenes I have any experience of. Perhaps more electronica and hip hop oriented stuff would be lovely but I'm never sure if there's that much scope for it live in the 'deen. Watch this space though ;)

Whats this, Vomitus be not this Death metal, but the finest Norweigian Tr00 Kvlt Black Metal!

Bonesaw and Hearsecrash (sp?), on the other hand, are death metal.

I have a feeling there may be a few new heavy bands coming up soon, but my wee theories have been known to be way off.

i dont think we do' date=' its very narrow

we dont have any stoner rock :([/quote']

Narrow ?

Well Trip Tych was certainly not narrow in range. T Model Ford to Kid 606 through Wire and Giles Peterson and Pink Grease and Komputer.

Well Interesting Music / Unknown Pleasures have put on a wide range of artists and are continuing to do so.

For the population size and geographic location of Adeen we certainly get a wise range of artists. It takes a little guts to go and see something different or something you have never heard of but it tends to be pretty rewarding...

NB The granite city has loads of stones and rocks so maybe we do have stoner rock :up:

Dave

Guest stuartmaxwell

ragudave

those bands are not from aberdeen, i think he was talking about bands from aberdeen

i do thinkwe get some special acts up here, and i do believe that the interesting music guys put a lot of thought into their shows, gutsy stuff but must be satisfying

Brian's eyes are only like that 'cause of the stress of Fudge ;)

innovation ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-vshn)

n.

1.The act of introducing something new.

2.Something newly introduced.

I think the diversity of all these bands means that they were introducing something new to the music of Aberdeen if not the music of the world. :)

Guest Stripey
well? is there enough innovation in aberdeen or not' date=' music wise?

(and by that, I mean music in general - are promoters for instance making the effort to create innovative line ups? are bands trying to diversify enough to hold interest? you make the questions..)[/quote']

No, I don't think there are many interesting groups in Aberdeen. Going by what I've heard so far, (certainly the bands that plug themselves on here) a lot of it seems to be just rock derived drivel with absolutely nothing new to offer.

Last time I checked, music was an artform, and is meant to be about creating, not carbon copying.

In art terms, Aberdeen is more like that shitty poster shop on union street that sells prints of all the cliched tat, than an art gallery.

Guest Stripey
DRN' date=' Hookers Green No.1, Kathryn Sawers, Le Reno Amps, The Kitchen Cynics..to be going on with.[/quote']

Where can I get mp3's of these bands?

No' date=' I don't think there are many interesting groups in Aberdeen. Going by what I've heard so far, (certainly the bands that plug themselves on here) a lot of it seems to be just rock derived drivel with absolutely nothing new to offer.

Last time I checked, music was an artform, and is meant to be about creating, not carbon copying.

In art terms, Aberdeen is more like that shitty poster shop on union street that sells prints of all the cliched tat, than an art gallery.[/quote']

i'd almost agree with that, for once. there's lots of great bands in aberdeen but there's not many who are trying to do something new. even hookers green no1 who are probably one of the more 'out there' acts in aberdeen sound like a few other bands. is there anything left to innovate with though? how much different sounds can you make with guitar, drums, keyboards, bass and vocals?

i think the best you can hope for is a band who just get on with playing music they want to play and who at least try and develop their own sound and style. the most innovative musician we had in aberdeen moved to glasgow(john cromar) and there's not been much left since then.

there is a few bands of renegades who are still committed to taking risks and stuff(clive ravensby spring to mind, though i believe they are disbanding soon too) particularly in the improv field and the likes of sidca who really don't sound like anyone else. more people like that would be fun. that's not to say that innovation should be just noisey. by all means i'd love to see more electronic acts in aberdeen playing on bills with rock acts and hip hop acts. taht would be grand.

Interesting Music is committed to bring artists to Aberdeen that normally just play in the Central Belt. Our many vistors have been captivated by the genuine enthusiasm of those that attend our events & the genuine quality of the local supports. What is very pleasing is the fact that local artists/bands are entused to support & the quality of those artists is very high & we have had nothing but praise for our local supports.

If you know of any local artists/bands that are trying something different in areas of electronica, improvised, off kilter & interesting acoustic then let us know.

Look out for a new show announcement, which will be on Sun 8th Aug 04.

Most bands here are constricted by a very structured approach ( my stuff particularly )...but so is most electronic music. For all I enjoyed Stripey's music it's certainly not innovative, especially in comparison with what was happening in electronic music in the late 50s to mid 60s. As soon as repetetive drum patterns are used innovation tends to go out of the window.....it's hard not to be a slave to the beat.

I agree with Dave about John Cromar.....he took risks, and that was exciting to watch. I reckon there probably ARE people doing innovative things though, but not gigging, probably. I thought Ziggy's Random Audio thingummy was refreshingly different,too.

Again, can I second the support for the Interesting Music chaps, for the variety of sounds they promote, much of it being innovative (although not from Aberdeen, as previously stated)

Kitchen Cynics...............................................the tainted word.................................

Guest Stripey
Most bands here are constricted by a very structured approach ( my stuff particularly )...but so is most electronic music. For all I enjoyed Stripey's music it's certainly not innovative' date=' especially in comparison with what was happening in electronic music in the late 50s to mid 60s. As soon as repetetive drum patterns are used innovation tends to go out of the window.....it's hard not to be a slave to the beat.

I agree with Dave about John Cromar.....he took risks, and that was exciting to watch. I reckon there probably ARE people doing innovative things though, but not gigging, probably. I thought Ziggy's Random Audio thingummy was refreshingly different,too.

Again, can I second the support for the Interesting Music chaps, for the variety of sounds they promote, much of it being innovative (although not from Aberdeen, as previously stated)

Kitchen Cynics...............................................the tainted word.................................[/quote']

(disclaimer - I certainly don't claim to be innovative atall, i'm not *that* arrogant. I've only been giving any serious time to it for less than a couple of years, and I don't play any instruments (except a little bit of doumbek and very very basic use of a keyboard). Most of the time has been spent learning how to use the gear, learning how to program synth patches, learning how to use FX properly and learning how to mix down with reasonable results.)

Anyway :

Of course it's very very difficult to be innovative, but there's no excuse for being bland either, like the rock bands in Aberdeen that my comment was aimed at. There's a certain air of smugness about the part of the scene which I've seen so far, and I think all this patting-yourself-on-the-back because you do a few gigs in drakes and some of your mates turn up and applaud, is unhealthy. It's as if they don't think of themselves outside the context of Aberdeen.

Having seen the naive and simplistic musical tastes that a lot of people round here have, I suppose it's no surprise that there isn't a lot of genuinely inspiring stuff going on. When people have grown up believing in the MTV TOTP NME musical paradigm, maybe it's to be expected that they only aspire to do more of the same, just to be another cog in that machine, because it's all they know.

I have always thought of Aberdeen as being out of touch, and I also believe aswell that most of the people with any skill, vision or aspirations, not just in music but in general, leave for the real world as soon as they can.

Where can I get mp3's of these bands?

Nowhere that I know of. Damn didn't know it was part of the citeria. They can all be seen live fairly regularly.

Le Reno Amps album is ready and waiting to be released. Kitchen Cynics stuff is probably available in The Cavern. There is, I'm reliably informed, a good quality live recording of Kathryn......Ziggy?

There is a DRN track called 'Mogadon' on a 12" compilation release called 'beyond the breaks' on the Gamma Proforma 20/20 label. This is probably worth trying to get, although I will distribute cd-r's on request.

The 'Random Audio Therapy Unit v3.0' ltd edition 12" vinyl (with handscreened sleeve and signed booklet) is available in One Up, Cavern, Peacock Visual Arts and various other outlets throughout Scotland. Or come by Dr Drakes and ask me for a copy.

Check out www.surfacepressure.co.uk/found for examples.

The, now legendary, Kathryn Sawyers live recording will be available soon, but not from me I'm afraid. You will have to speak to her about getting a copy (except you of course Greame!).

Ziggy

Personally i don't agree that people should attempt to be innovative just for the sake of it. People pick up guitars, basses, drum sticks etc because they want to play music that they enjoy listening to. If people enjoy playing what stripey describes as bland mtv rock then what's the problem with that. I don't think the fact that there aren't as many innovative local acts reflects badly on the scene i think if anything its basically because there isn't a market for it. What there is a market for is the type of stuff that people are playing. If there really were loads of people crying out for cutting edge stuff then they'd get off their arses and do it themselves wouldn't they? The fact that this isn't happening shows that there really aren't that many people wanting to listen to that kind of stuff. The kind of bands that exist reflects the music that the majority want to listen to, basically because its the people that go to gigs/buy music that create the bands.

how much different sounds can you make with guitar' date=' drums, keyboards, bass and vocals? [/quote']

I don't think the way forward is to make different sounds, its a shame that the most innovative stuff I hear tends to be just different 'sounds.' In terms of rock music, I like my guitar, bass and drums, no frills - haven't been many inovative rock bands as of late. The guitar based experimentalists seem to be in a zillion sub-genres, and in Aberdeen, the most blatant attempts at experimental I have seen is poor sonic youth imitations (god i hate those), but don't quote me on names please.

I would love to hear some good, different music, recomend anything? not Hookers Green, don't like them or rate them as original.

all this patting-yourself-on-the-back because you do a few gigs in drakes .

There is a lot of arse kissing on this site. I guess its because everyone is on a personal level (living in the same area' date=' seeing each other), but some people take it [i']too far.

Crap bands often over encouraged - fair enough if its all just a bit of fun, but its not when you think people pay to see bands...

Who else do they sound like? I'm not saying they don't. I just don't know who it is.

I've only seen them once but they remind me of Tortoise' date=' Stereolab, Broadcast, Delicate AWOL, Spiritualized, Mercury Rev amongst others. NB I said [i']remind me of rather than sound like...