aberdeen-music

Jacket Buying

Captain America

Where would a classy gent go to buy a leather jacket in Aberdeen?

Eduardo's leather up town looks shit. I don't want an old mannish one with a proper collar and the ones in the likes of topman and next etc all have rank material stretchy wrists/collar-bits and wierd/too many pockets.

So, any suggestions? Like biker style but with out the logos and protective padding etc (i.e not for an actual biker).

Guest Tam o' Shantie

For proper, decent 'normal' clothes (ie just not whatever is fashionable with students and spotty teenagers), slater menswear is probably the best place in aberdeen. Topman's 'serious' section (normally hidden behind some neon garb, trilby hats/pointed shoes and whatever else the Exodus playlist is currently wearing) sometimes has nice jackets and suits so worth a look. You've not mentioned what style you're looking for though. If it's a 'vintage' style, my advice would be charity shops and eBay, rather than 'vintage' shops who buy 'vintage' style leather jackets from charity shops and eBay, then sell them at 1500% markup.

I also may have 2 'Ramones' style leather jackets for sale. One worn by a far fatter incarnation of my current self, during my teenage years (so probably traces of semen on it, along with pins of half the Lookout! records roster, love letters and many, many crumbs) which is nice and soft and really punk rock if you want to show those 'normies' how the other half lives. The other is the same style of jacket, virtually unworn as it was too small for me at the time (but I'd say it was between a medium & large, as it now fits me about right at 6' and 13 stone).

I sold a biker jacket on eBay a few years ago accompanied by probably the gayest, drippiest picture of me in existence "modelling" it. Somehow it actually sold.

2554_55368585381_597970381_1629682_6520304_n.jpg

"Buy this jacket and you could look this much of a skinny tosser"

I hadn't worn it in about 10 years, but I kinda miss it since i sold it.

If there is a biker jacket that you like (they're not all sports or harley styles), you can just remove the armour and the thermal lining. It's easy peasy; the armour is just in a velcro pocket and the lining zips out.

Try AberdeenBikers.co.uk • Portal if you want a second hand, worn in leather jacket. They usually advertise ones at reasonable prices and the items are usually in great condition.

If there is a biker jacket that you like (they're not all sports or harley styles), you can just remove the armour and the thermal lining. It's easy peasy; the armour is just in a velcro pocket and the lining zips out.

Try AberdeenBikers.co.uk • Portal if you want a second hand, worn in leather jacket. They usually advertise ones at reasonable prices and the items are usually in great condition.

Anywhere in town to get a niec new one? If it's easy to take out all the stuff...

There's Hein Gericke, Shirlaws, Ecosse, Bike Smart... loads of motorbike clothing stores in and around Aberdeen.

If you're not sure how to remove the armour just ask the shop assistant to do it for you, you could probably sell it on via ebay if it's no use to you.

Depending on how much you want to spend, my work have started doing men's jackets and there's a gorgeous one in stock just now - Furygan Blade Evo jacket in black/white. I'm biased though, I love Furygan's range.

• 2 weeks later...