aberdeen-music

indian red lopez european tour

shmeet the beat

this week sees indian red lopez set off on their first adventure overseas!

they take in glenrothes (greenside), glasgow(bloc), edinburgh (GRV), london (alan mcghees death disco), lille, france (le select), rotterdam, the netherlands ( exit, and velvet records in-store).

8 numpties, 7 days, 7 gigs, 4 countries, 1 tour van, 56 hangovers!

they play at dirty hearts club on thur 22 october and this will be their last gig this year before they head back into the studio to work on new material!

ps. keep an eye out for announcements on november's "shmeet the beat' 4 in peterhead........'

The best of luck to you. :)

I say good on team lopez and im not just saying this because i know them, i think its cool that theyre hitting abroad for a couple of shows. I think any band getting out of their hometown at any point is always a good thing!

All theyre doing is making an effort to get their music as far and wide as possible and yes, there is a high cost in touring abroad (as there is anywhere) and technically they can get their music out there on the internet but nothing wrong with playing gigs abroad and far away.

Its fun at the end of the day- which is what being in a band is all about.

Going travelling with your mates playing music and getting drunk in new places - whats not to like. Sure its expensive, and you may play to nobody but if you can afford it its worth it id say - youd probably spend the same as you would going on holiday if not less if its budgeted right.

At the end of the day they could NOT play the shows, and just play Drummonds and Tunnels every other week or do the usual jaunts to Edinburgh / Glasgow all the time but wheres the fun in that- i would love to go abroad with Little Kicks, and we almost have a few times but the dates have never fallen into place.

Well put. Getting away from the usual places is always going to be a bonus regardless of the financial aspect so if you're willing to pay for it then it's a completely worthwhile experience. They got a nice little write up about it in the PandJ and the buchanie, I say good on them too. Plus I'm putting on the Lille gig tomorrow so I'm biased. Anything that's not reggae, chanson francaise or metal is rarely heard here so hopefully folk'l discover something new. Fingers crossed.

Guest Gladstone
Well put. Getting away from the usual places is always going to be a bonus regardless of the financial aspect so if you're willing to pay for it then it's a completely worthwhile experience. They got a nice little write up about it in the PandJ and the buchanie, I say good on them too. Plus I'm putting on the Lille gig tomorrow so I'm biased. Anything that's not reggae, chanson francaise or metal is rarely heard here so hopefully folk'l discover something new. Fingers crossed.

This is brilliant. Band from Peterhead playing a gig in Lille.

Turns out the promoter is from Cruden Bay.

Genius.

Guest Gladstone
Nah, Old Deer was where its at. Remember that, well I wouldn't quite call it a night club, more a gathering point for underage drinkers? that still going?

Do I nae?

Old Deer was ace when I was 15. Got my head panned in when I was 17 (jumped in the toilets for laughing at a joke...), and never went back.

It's closed now - it reopened for a while as just a pub, and possibly a function room through the back, nae sure (it was Grubber's parents who bought it). I think it's now a B&B.

Fuck knows where the underagers go now. In hindsight, I think the place was great in that it kept them all in one place under one roof, with adults kicking about and if anyone ever got in serious bother they'd be sent away home to hospital or whatever. Far better than drinking in the local park - let's face it, teenagers will drink, whether it's in a place like Old Deer or in the darkest hidey place they can find in their village/town...

Saying all that though - imagine you lived across the road from the old place in Old Deer back in those days? When my older brothers were going, it was just a place for teenagers to get in massive scraps, EVERY weekend...

Guest Gladstone

I got this text from one of the IRL dudes last night/this morning at 5 to 1.

"Holy shit, we're in an empty strip club in france and what does the dj play? Indian Fucking Red Lopez!"

You know you've made it when they're playing your music in strip clubs in France.

:D

i r l EUROPEAN TOUR - final thoughts....

well, seems you boys have been busy eh?! there's been more yapping on here than a dozen old wifies at a coffee morning! at least their banter would be better!!

we )indian red lopez) had a fucking magic tour! call it whatever you want, but 7 gigs in 7 days in 4 countries, sounds like a tour to me, mon @ drummonds, tues @ tunnels, wed @ moorings, nae a fucking tour!!!

we loved it, every gig was better than the last one and by the time we got to france and rotterdam the crowds were bouncing! even chanting in france, i think they thought we were some sort of football casuals firm!!?? made heaps of friends and sold plenty cd's and introduced lots of folk to our band.

as for the driving, piece of piss! big 8 seater splitter van, even had a dvd player!

even the 19hour journey home(rotterdam to peterheed in a day) wasn't too bad!

we had no help at all with this, we just got off our arses and did it! we used cash saved from playing gigs and raised from our clubnight to pay for everything, i would recommend this to every band serious about what they are doing. fuck, if you want, we would gladly give you all our contacts and just go for it! don't worry about some randoms having a go at you for making the effort to achieve something either! they should maybe stop playing warcraft for a few hours, go outside and get a fucking life!

• Upvote 1

well, seems you boys have been busy eh?! there's been more yapping on here than a dozen old wifies at a coffee morning! at least their banter would be better!!

we )indian red lopez) had a fucking magic tour! call it whatever you want, but 7 gigs in 7 days in 4 countries, sounds like a tour to me, mon @ drummonds, tues @ tunnels, wed @ moorings, nae a fucking tour!!!

we loved it, every gig was better than the last one and by the time we got to france and rotterdam the crowds were bouncing! even chanting in france, i think they thought we were some sort of football casuals firm!!?? made heaps of friends and sold plenty cd's and introduced lots of folk to our band.

as for the driving, piece of piss! big 8 seater splitter van, even had a dvd player!

we had no help at all with this, we just got off our arses and did it! we used cash saved from playing gigs and raised from our clubnight to pay for everything, i would recommend this to every band serious about what they are doing. fuck, if you want, we would gladly give you all our contacts and just go for it! don't worry about some randoms having a go at you for making the effort to achieve something either! they should maybe stop playing warcraft for a few hours, go outside and get a fucking life!

Actually, well said.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

you know, despite getting ripped off by promoters what seemed like 95% of the time, we always made mad money on tour...not enough to replace our jobs (lol) but enough to pay for loads of practice/recording. I think we might even have actually been taken a 'tip' from the money a couple of times when we were totally broke.

Fuck aye Maskame!

Pretty much what he said.

I don't reeeeeeaaaaallly give a shit (either way) what anyone says on these things, but if folk in yer home town are gripin' about trivial things like driving for fuck sake....

....well fitiver. Good een.

We had a blast. We'll do it again, and again and probably again.

Let's get more bands from home to join in and 'collaborate' rather than sit at home and moan. There's nae need to be so doooor.

Onywhy...Heroes beckons

Smell ye

Sounds awesome fun, good work. :up:

We're going on tour this weekend:

Saturday: Lincoln

Monday: Aberdeen

There were more but they got cancelled. It's now called the Lincoln Tour 2009.

None of the 4 if us can drive so it's us and a mate in a Corsa there and back. It's what dreams are made of really......

ha ha!

nae worries, funny shit!

seriously though, everyone up here should take a look at what the fence collective are doing down in fife! they have the right idea. there is not necessarily any more talent down there than in other areas, but they work together and because of that people sit up and take notice in what they are doing.

just a wee thought ken..............................

Guest Gladstone

Well done dudes, don't take the blind bit of notice what the doubters on this site say.

The only "local" bands that are allowed to go on tour, and call it a tour and get any credit for it are The X-Certs and Copy Haho. Yes, their tours are far more extensive than what IRL have just done, but it's only the second time IRL have jumped in the van and driven around the country for a week or two. This time next year, if they keep the momentum going, they'll be touring the length and breadth of the UK and beyond.

:up: