aberdeen-music

indian red lopez european tour

shmeet the beat

this week sees indian red lopez set off on their first adventure overseas!

they take in glenrothes (greenside), glasgow(bloc), edinburgh (GRV), london (alan mcghees death disco), lille, france (le select), rotterdam, the netherlands ( exit, and velvet records in-store).

8 numpties, 7 days, 7 gigs, 4 countries, 1 tour van, 56 hangovers!

they play at dirty hearts club on thur 22 october and this will be their last gig this year before they head back into the studio to work on new material!

ps. keep an eye out for announcements on november's "shmeet the beat' 4 in peterhead........'

Guest Gladstone
Gig1-Dunfermline

Gig 2-Kirkcaldy

Gig 3-Stornoway

Gig 4-Stonehaven

Gig 5-Battledykes

Gig 6-Aberdeen

Gig 7-Elgin

Euro tour, aye?

If you want to call it that, it isn't a lie.

My point was that Maxi (as always) was being a dick for no reason. Why not just say "good on em, fuck all that driving" instead of sticking in his little jealous dig as always?

Euro tour, aye?

Clearly not and u know it. :up:

incidentally, how many gigs in other European countries does a tour need before it can be considered a 'Euro tour'? Seems to me a question of semantics. An unsigned band doing a few overseas gigs could quite easily call it a tour. U2 doing the same dates maybe wouldn't but what does it matter?

If you want to call it that, it isn't a lie.

My point was that Maxi (as always) was being a dick for no reason. Why not just say "good on em, fuck all that driving" instead of sticking in his little jealous dig as always?

I don't think it is a "jealous" dig. There wasn't really any need for it though.

They can call it whatever the fuck they want as far as i'm concerned.

nah, I'll disagree with you there. as I said, good on em but I (as in me, personally, with my opinion) don't see the point in driving halfway across the world in 2 days to play two gigs

I aint jealous of stressing to fill 2/3 weeks of euro gigs, driving 12+ hours at a time in a van, vanm breakdowns, gear breakdowns, loading gear in and out, eating poorly, nae washing, getting lost, losing money etc etc

I have a lot of things in life that I find more fun these days. sorry!

I say good on team lopez and im not just saying this because i know them, i think its cool that theyre hitting abroad for a couple of shows. I think any band getting out of their hometown at any point is always a good thing!

All theyre doing is making an effort to get their music as far and wide as possible and yes, there is a high cost in touring abroad (as there is anywhere) and technically they can get their music out there on the internet but nothing wrong with playing gigs abroad and far away.

Its fun at the end of the day- which is what being in a band is all about.

Going travelling with your mates playing music and getting drunk in new places - whats not to like. Sure its expensive, and you may play to nobody but if you can afford it its worth it id say - youd probably spend the same as you would going on holiday if not less if its budgeted right.

At the end of the day they could NOT play the shows, and just play Drummonds and Tunnels every other week or do the usual jaunts to Edinburgh / Glasgow all the time but wheres the fun in that- i would love to go abroad with Little Kicks, and we almost have a few times but the dates have never fallen into place.

Thats my opinion anyway, but i understand maybe not everyone can afford/ may want to spend their wages/entire holidays on touring - i guess it depends on what your in it for.

We played London in July for an all day party/ clubnight in 93 Feet East, we ended up spending 200 plus to play the gig (going by train, carrying basic gear) and got paid minumum amount flat fee but we played to 150 people plus in an awesome venue who totally got into it / bought cds and it was well worth it for that reason. Set us back a fair bit but we got a fair bit of confidence from playing to new people and getting good feedback as it made us feel we must be doing something worthwhile and the place was dancing all the way through.

Also, the Scottish music industry / UK is well worth breaking away from, you can have bands from here which are much bigger outside of the UK and then dont need to play here.

E.g - i watched the Wave Pictures (from London) play at Benicasim in Spain to 800 people who knew all the words. Not bad for a band from London who play 200 capacity venues in the UK and hand make all their own albums.

Anyway, thats my tuppence - everyones got valid points here - but knowing how much effort / time Chang and the lads put into the band I thought id contribute my 2 cents of thought.

x

Guest Gladstone
I say good on team lopez and im not just saying this because i know them, i think its cool that theyre hitting abroad for a couple of shows. I think any band getting out of their hometown at any point is always a good thing!

All theyre doing is making an effort to get their music as far and wide as possible and yes, there is a high cost in touring abroad (as there is anywhere) and technically they can get their music out there on the internet but nothing wrong with playing gigs abroad and far away.

Its fun at the end of the day- which is what being in a band is all about.

Going travelling with your mates playing music and getting drunk in new places - whats not to like. Sure its expensive, and you may play to nobody but if you can afford it its worth it id say - youd probably spend the same as you would going on holiday if not less if its budgeted right.

At the end of the day they could NOT play the shows, and just play Drummonds and Tunnels every other week or do the usual jaunts to Edinburgh / Glasgow all the time but wheres the fun in that- i would love to go abroad with Little Kicks, and we almost have a few times but the dates have never fallen into place.

Thats my opinion anyway, but i understand maybe not everyone can afford/ may want to spend their wages/entire holidays on touring - i guess it depends on what your in it for.

We played London in July for an all day party/ clubnight in 93 Feet East, we ended up spending 200 plus to play the gig (going by train, carrying basic gear) and got paid minumum amount flat fee but we played to 150 people plus in an awesome venue who totally got into it / bought cds and it was well worth it for that reason. Set us back a fair bit but we got a fair bit of confidence from playing to new people and getting good feedback as it made us feel we must be doing something worthwhile and the place was dancing all the way through.

Also, the Scottish music industry / UK is well worth breaking away from, you can have bands from here which are much bigger outside of the UK and then dont need to play here.

E.g - i watched the Wave Pictures (from London) play at Benicasim in Spain to 800 people who knew all the words. Not bad for a band from London who play 200 capacity venues in the UK and hand make all their own albums.

Anyway, thats my tuppence - everyones got valid points here - but knowing how much effort / time Chang and the lads put into the band I thought id contribute my 2 cents of thought.

x

Well said Milner.

I can only really compare how much effort these boys put in against the effort we ourselves as a band put into our own band (because I haven't had any first hand experience with any other bands), and the difference is enormous.

I appreciate that our band is really just a hobby for us these days but a few years ago when we took it seriously or at least thought we took it seriously, we were putting hardly any effort in in comparison to the level put in by IRL.

From the obvious endless hours put into writing the songs, and getting all parts of what are quite complex compositions to work together, and flow into a song, to endless hours practising in their dedicated studio, to endless hours spent recording and perfecting the songs, to the amount of time Chang spends on the graphics for the EP, Myspace, posters, t-shirts etc, to the amount of time spent arranging tours and gigs, the graphics they put on in their shows, and having the balls and dedication to get all 6 of them together, to hit the road, and put the necessary cash in to head on tour, not just to Scotland, or even to North England, or even just to London, but also across the pond to France and the Netherlands.

On top of all this, they're really fucking good too.

I have no qualms about saying they are the best unsigned band I've ever seen live, or even listened to. Outstanding songs, and the live show (and yes, this is a show) is absolutely brilliant. These songs and this band are made for and are destined for bigger and better things.

:up:

Well said Milner.

I can only really compare how much effort these boys put in against the effort we ourselves as a band put into our own band (because I haven't had any first hand experience with any other bands), and the difference is enormous.

I appreciate that our band is really just a hobby for us these days but a few years ago when we took it seriously or at least thought we took it seriously, we were putting hardly any effort in in comparison to the level put in by IRL.

From the obvious endless hours put into writing the songs, and getting all parts of what are quite complex compositions to work together, and flow into a song, to endless hours practising in their dedicated studio, to endless hours spent recording and perfecting the songs, to the amount of time Chang spends on the graphics for the EP, Myspace, posters, t-shirts etc, to the amount of time spent arranging tours and gigs, the graphics they put on in their shows, and having the balls and dedication to get all 6 of them together, to hit the road, and put the necessary cash in to head on tour, not just to Scotland, or even to North England, or even just to London, but also across the pond to France and the Netherlands.

On top of all this, they're really fucking good too.

I have no qualms about saying they are the best unsigned band I've ever seen live, or even listened to. Outstanding songs, and the live show (and yes, this is a show) is absolutely brilliant. These songs and this band are made for and are destined for bigger and better things.

:up:

So...which one of them is it you fancy?

Guest Gladstone
Kimberley, right? Don't give me 'the ginger one's ugly' rubbish. Nicola is hott.

I don't do ginger birds as it would feel like incest. Plus Nicola is ugly regardless of her ginger hair.

Very off topic............so........

I've changed my mind - I'd nail every single one of Indian Red Lopez.... at the same time.

Guest idol_wild

I saw Indian Red Lopez at the GRV in Edinburgh tonight and I was very impressed. The previous few times I have seen them they hadn't quite nailed their live sound.

Tonight, they did. The songs are clearly there and I hope they get everything they want out of the tour.

Thumbs up. :up: