aberdeen-music

Musical tastes

Guest Sundaram

Guest Sundaram

My own musical tatstes have changed greatly over the years, for instance...

I used to be a big Jimi Hendrix fan, but now I prefer more acoustic orientated music like Donovan and Nick Drake. I used to despise 1980's corporate rock type stuff, but now find myself listening to early Foreigner(gasp!!!). I'm also a big fan of early Progressive Rock, something that would have made me vomit circa 1990. :)

Anyway, what music have you liked but now dislike, or what music did you use to dislike but now like?

I don't really dislike anything that I've liked before - anything cheesier is amusing now and the rest of it reminds me of happy times gone by :D

As mentioned in another thread though I have grown more and more interested in folk, electronica and hip hop as the years have progressed from a mainly rock and metal starting.

Guest Nikola Tesla

I used to be into really crap nu metal bands and bland inde stuff, which thankfully i dont do now.Other wise my tastes have just widened to include the music i listen to now.

I first started listening to metal (anthrax, 'tallica, gnr) and hendrix when I was about 8, then got into hardcore and grunge, then into listening to more metal bands and heavier metal, started getting into prog (tool, king crimson) and electronica towards the end of school. Since coming to uni i listen to a lot more electronic music (gabbacore shall become a musical genre!), moderate amounts of jazz and prog and usually tons of fairly complex or heavy music. I still like most of the music I always did.

On a side note, I borrowed a live cd today from tchai featuring al di meola, john mclaughlin and paco de lucia and it's absolutely fucking stunning.

I've always prided myself on having a wide range of musical taste, but when I was a teenager I used to have a blind spot for country stuff. Now, however, I love Townes Van Zandt, Gillian Welch, Charlemagne etc, and have, over the years come to appreciate Hank Williams, the Carter Family, Dock Boggs etc.

Currently my blind spot is metal, but I'm fully prepared to come round to it before I die!!

Kitchen Cynics.........................................fans of George Formby, Flanagan & Allen etc..

My musical tastes are always evolving. I used to be quite narrowminded - i.e. just metal / thrash / death / grindcore etc then I started listening to John Peel then Andy Kershaw, Giles Peterson, John Cavanagh, Peter Easton, Pete Tong etc etc. Listening to loads of diverse radio DJs got me into loads of other things such as dub / old blues / jazz / Beefheart / The Fall / techno / jungle / electronica et al

Reading the NMTwee and latterly Wire has also broadened my musical tastes, especially given the range of free CDs that Wire supply.

Going to gigs also tends to broaden my horizons and of the course the web allows access to a whole new range of anoraks who are obsessed by music. On another message board I contrbute to I am always swopping tapes / Cds with a bunch of people I have never and probably will never meet. I think I probably have 15 or 20 Cds from people I have traded with...

Dave

I remember being told by the English "tutor" in the college of commerce (Holburn street), that I "won't be listening to that rubbish when I am older" (she was referring to Godflesh, Ministry, Cop Shoot Cop etc).

I asked why not, she said "because it's a load of cacophonous rubbish, only young people listen to loud angry music when they are young"

My reply was "What bands did you like when you were young ? (the Beatles) Do you still like and listen to the Beatles ? (yes), And, did your parents / Elders like the Beatles when you were my age (No), Did they think you'd grow out of that "rubbish", (err...Well, yes, but the Beatles are different to that noise you are listening to...) "not to your elders...."

I'm with PsyDoll, a good music fan's "taste" can only grow, expand and accommodate new styles...I'd never be embarrassed about the stuff I listening to when I was younger...(Run DMC, Prong, B-Boys, Coroner, Anthrax etc...all solid foundations to me!)

Guest tv tanned

"only young people listen to loud angry music when they are young"

as opposed to when they are old, in which case they wouldn't be young people...

i like a lot of different bands/artist's.......but i mainly just listenin to punk, like Poison Idea, The Distillers, Rancid etc...the first band i really got into was Nirvana , but im sure a lot of ppl say that hehe, when i was about 10 and all i ever listened to was Grunge bands.....these days my music taste is mucho larger :band: * Wooo!! *...Hey don't s'pose anyone likes a bit of Elvis Presley by chance?? :up:

I'd say i've almost gone full-circle... almost.

When i first started digging music it was around the time of Definately Maybe, which i bought as one of my first albums, i went on to become a die hard Oasis fan listening to the likes of Blur/The Verve/Ocean Colour Scene and all that jazz. When i first heard Goldfinger and Blink i instantly knew oasis were a thing of the past, Then i went through a 4/5 year solid 'punk-esqu' phase digressing more and more into heavier music.

Today i'll listen to anything, as long as it's not blatantly manufactured at a mass-teenage audience. For example my last album purchases have been

Bic Runga: Drive

N.W.A: Straight Outta Compton

Metallica: S&M

My Chemical Romance: Three cheers....

If you'd have told me 5 years ago i'd have a Rap/Metal/acoustic album - i'd have laughed.... I guess i just appreciate a more diverse range than i used to... I also still listen to all the bands i used to like a lot. My biggest fear would probably be a world without music.

i think i'm still pretty much into the same music as i was before. i didn't really get properly into music until i was 14. one of my first albums was radiohead's ok computer, and it still remains to be my favourite. i am partial to ska and the occasional punk band which is certainly a good thing, but otherwise i still would desribe my musical taste as indie rock/emo (GOOD emo - weezer, get up kids, saves the day, none of this shoutey malarkey) heh

Guest allsystemsfail

I used to (back in the day) love '77 punk - you know, 999, X-Ray Spex, The Slits, The Clash, Buzzcocks, Banshees, Pistols, Wire... but find that whole scene kinda boring now. Cept that is for folks like Chelsea and Penetration.

I used to be just into Metal, Metallica, Pantera etc but in the last few years I really dig really heavy stuff i.e. grindcore/noisecore etc. On the other side of the coin I like more unusual classical composers like Bale from NY and ambient stuff also GSYBE and Sigur Ros. Tom Waits also rules! So yeah I like lots of stuff and feel Im more open minded than a few years ago

Guest stuartmaxwell

ijust briefly looking at my collection i see rem, green day, mark knophler, millencolin (??)

stuff which i havent lisened to in years and probably wont,

taste is an evolution,

itas funny to think if you hadnt listened to certain bands, you wouldnt have been interested in listening to x or y etc, if you had said to me when i was 15 that i would be listening to king crimson or something prog like i would have laughed at you and called it pompous rubbish-because i was really narrow minded

if i ever had kids i would make them eat good records, stop them getting into ned music

but i would never have kids, pesky little money sucking lice etc etc bitter!

Guest you_nazi

80's/early 90's pop --> rap --> nu-metal --> punk --> people who roar --> 80's/early 90's pop and other varied genres.

oh yeah. spot the scene kid.

Guest tv tanned

In response.

My main passion is rock, and has been for ages.

I am, however partial to the following:

country and western

blues

jazz

soul

pop

rap

metal

folk

Scottish traditional music

Guest allsystemsfail

Due often to a disillusionment with the anarcho-punk community as it is today, of late I've been checking out a lotta bands/artists/movements on the fringe of the 80s anarcho community. Folks such as Fuzzbox, Blyth Power, Joolz, Dance Society etc. Those associated with the crusty community too - Back To The Planet, AOS3, RDF...

I'm really excited by the progress being made by electronica artists, particularly the fusion between new technology and 'organic' instruments. A great example of this, which I urge anyone to get a hold of, is the Mathew Herbert Big Band Album. Alternatively, check out the acts put on by the 'Interesting Music/Unkown Pleasures' promoters.

Z.F

My fav music used to be blues. It started with kind of rockier stuff like Dire STraits, then i started getting into blues and country. Then after i saw Blade Runner i really started to dig Pink Floyd which opened me up to Space Rock, Progressive rock and psychadelia. Now i'm listening to Steve Hillage, King Crimson, Tool, Camel, Opeth, early Fleetwood Mac and the Ozric Tentacles.

Guest scott cs.

first band i ever listened to was Queen when i was about 5, i thought they were fantastic. still do actually. then i saw bands like Pennywise and NOFX when i got Sky so i got some of their cd's and got into punk and ska which is the main-stay of my record collection. since i started playing bass i've began listening to old two-tone bands, blues, hip-hop, stuff with really funky bass lines.

Guest Stripey

When I was a kid, I listened to a lot of my parents stuff they had lying around on tapes in the car etc, stuff like dire straights, john farnham, crowded house, bruce hornsby, the eagles.

My older cousin introduced me to hiphop at a fairly early age, I was into stuff like the Pharcyde, Kurious, Ice T, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill etc. around age 12-14, aswell as being very into the scottish techno scene which was thriving back then (bass generator, q-fx) and other techno like Altern8 and Utah Saints.

When I left school at went to college at age 15, bought my first DJ Krush album (holonic) and I was hooked. This got me into stuff out on Mowax and Ninja tune heavily, like dj shadow, luke vibert, dj vadim, 9lazy9, coldcut, also other things like kruder & dorfmeister, future sound of london, aphex twin, squarepusher, neotropic. People I met in London introduced me to drumnbass around 1997, I started listening to ed rush and optical, mixtapes from clubnights like helterskelter, with people like ray keith and swanee.

Now I listen to anything which is good, just depends the mood im in. Quite partial to bits of classical even.

It's interesting to note perhaps, that when I moved to aberdeen and met some people at college, they were all into stuff like REM and nirvana etc. I tried to listen to it, but it just did nothing for me, and I've always associated rock/indie/punk with miserable self-harming dysfunctional troglodytes.

It's also interesting to see that a lot of your own personal evolution of taste youve posted here, just spans sub-genres of rock!