aberdeen-music

funk/ska band anyone?

bungle

Anyone fancy getting some sort of funk band together, with a touch of ska?

I play most thing with strings which can be plucked, the only weapons at my disposal right now are guitars banjo and the ukulele, but I'm fine on the bass as well. I can play a bit of keys as well.

Give me a bell if you're interested

Cheers, Jonny

Bass player keen to hook up...

Hey,

I play bass, love funk music and would love to get something started. Ive never played this style of music in a band setup before, usually rock/pop, but would love to give it a go.

Im currently listening to the likes of Parliment, Chic, Detroit Sex Machine, Graham Central Station, The Time, The Meters, The Commodores, Cold Blood, Jamiroquai, The Sound Stylistics, The New Mastersounds, Betty Davis etc etc, and more recently found out about a band called The Invisible.

If you want to hook up and maybe try something out give me a shout back.

Cheers.

Choose a few songs to get going with and I'll supply the drums, I'm working with a Jazz/Funk band and have been playing with the band Oxbow Lake at a few Festivals over the summer, but it looks like they are going back to more Folk/Roots music, so I'm on the hunt again. I normally use Musical Vision for rehearsals, if we get on well and make some good noise together, I can probably get my mate Alastair to come along, he plays Soprano and Alto Sax. There is a small clip of use with the Oxbow's at the Wizard Festival, it's on myspace. We are playing a mix of 'Bring down the Birds' by Herbie Hancock and 'Groove is in the Heart'. You could also listen to some stuff I've recorded at rehearsals with 'Circle of Ash' that's on my Bebo site. Give me a call and choose some songs... Phil

Pass me on some MP3's of your ideas so I can have a run through before we meet up... I already know Chameleon and a few other Herbie Hancock Songs from the Headhunters, and I love stuff like the Cissy Strut by the Meters, never played it though, anything that moves along with that much groove is ripe for the picking though... Send me a PM and we can exchange e-mails and phone numbers etc... Once a mate of mine gets his hands on a Nord Keyboard to replace his exploded Yamaha, he's up for a jam too, and he can really play with good feeling... Phil

There are some great songs on John Scofields 'Uberjam' album, ones like Animal Farm and Ideofunk... I'm just listening to the new George Clinton CD, if any of these jump out at me I'll let you know... My idea would be take any song and find our way to play it with a large slice of Phunk thrown into the mix...

Right, magic, I've spotified all those tunes and I'll start sorting out how to play them properly over the next few days. I've got the main riff of Cissy Strut pretty much down already :up:

Fast Eddie by the sound stylistics is another one for the list. I'll PM you both with my contact details.

Don't think I can make that funk jam tonight though, is it a regular thing? Definitely be up for it in the future if it is.

Cissy Strut

You should check the Scofield version of the strut....nice changes.Look a py py and Chicken Strut by the Meters rock too we used to do them with Zony Mash!