aberdeen-music

Camera Novice

Memphis Skyline

I'm looking for a bit of advice...

I want to buy a camera as a gift for someone who wants to take up a beginners photography class later this year or next. It should be a film camera rather than a digital. Or it could be a hybrid if possible. In fact that would be even better but, I guess, more expensive.

I've been looking on ebay and haven't got a clue where to begin. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Should I be looking for a particular brand? Should it be an SLR?

I know there's a few photographers on here and any advice is much appreciated.

If you can afford it get a digital SLR, nikon d40 or something else cheap enough for a beginners camera

advantages of slr: More likely to support raw images, more versatile

disadvantages: more expensive, batteries are usually proprietary, cant shoot video)usually on low end ones)

Otherwise look at the cameras which look slightly like slr's but without interchangeable lenses, fuji are a good cheap yet solid brand and would do for a beginner, they are usually a lot cheaper so you may even be able to pickup one of these AND a cheap 35mm slr. These cameras usually have the advantage of being able to use AA batteries

go to Amazon and look there they have reviews and a variety of sellers

Fuji FinePix S5700 Digital Camera - Black 2.5" LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

i got one of these second hand from amazon about 2 year ago still going strong