aberdeen-music

Gig Preperation

Guest scott cs.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i klnow it sounds pretty obvious but i find that a towel is very necessary' date=' i sweat like a bitch and it stings in my eyes, therefore playing most gigs with my eyes shut[/quote']

That's the same as me although i've solved this problem by wearing a bandana.... Looks Kinda silly, but it does the job.... although - i think it's more my hair wax melting than anything else.

paulscoconutass-Headband.jpg

Onion Terror and their fans both endorse the use of headbands....

drink loads of water(is free) and i mean lots of water, until you feel sick the go and barf as much as you can. It always helps me befor i go on stage it really does calm the gut. I am with reap and we played a gig with soundshock last night and it was the best gig i have evre been too and i was getting nervous so i went a threw up and i was all better. Good Luck

:rockon:

Guest stuartmaxwell

yeah, but how good do you feel after playing your first gig to your mates though, no matter how badly you play you have a great time, get pissed as fuck and sweat a lot

I don't mean to sound like a toss.......but now I think about it, the first gig of every band I've ever been in has been to a big group of people that I don't know!

First gig with Clocker was to HEAPS of people at Kemnay Town Hall or something, first RBC gig was to an almost sold out TKs crowd, first proper RATAMS gig was to an almost sold out TKs crowd and the first WBL gig was to quiet a lot of people at the Palace...!

I don't want this trend to continue with the Piss Cranes... :puke:

Guest scott cs.

:up: Where u playing by the way????????

Drakes on the 22nd July with The No Pints, Pocket Billiards, The Dangerfields and W.O.R.M, doors 7pm tax 4

Guest stuartmaxwell

five finger discount has to be one of the worst names 4 a band i have heard in a while

used to be bass monkey, then changed to scott5fd, then decided to go for scott discount

what next?

Tune your guitar. Have fun. Don't apologise for fuck ups, even to your bandmates (do it later over a pint) - shit happens. Tune your guitar. Smile. Look at the audience at least three times a song, more if possible. Practise as much as you can before getting on the stage. Tune your guitar (and your bandmate's guitar if they can't :D ) - best to get a tuner pedal as tuning by ear on stage is an absolute bast with audience chatter).

On stage I usually have:

Guitar (duh), lead, capo, tuner, *bottle* of water (so if you kick it over, you won't fry), setlist, current CD I'm flogging.

Good luck!

I always like to have a chong, to just short of the point where I forget my own name, then the adrenaline sorts me out and i'm cruising. The rest of the band swear by (or perhaps due to) Buckfast, no accounting for taste. This may not be the best for everyone but works for us. If playing at 7 am at a beach party, supplement with speed.

None of this would work if I didn't know roughly what I should be playing at any given time.

I can't believe nobody else has said enything about brining any tool-esqu objects with them... What do you all do when something happens to your pedals/guitars? Rely on other folk? Crazy if you ask me......

:moody:

In my experience very little can be fixed on a well maintained guitar/pedal on the fly, especially if you don't have the experience to do it.

The trick is to make sure it's 100% before you even arrive for soundcheck.

Guest scott cs.

mr. soundian, could you explain sound-checking to me? may sound like a stupid question, but having never done it before, i don't really know how to go about it.