aberdeen-music

Which is the best amp for Metal (especially Death Metal)?

Ameer27

So I'm gonna buy a new amp. But I don't know which one to get.. I want it to be 50 Watts (or 60 at most, or if it's expensive, it could be 30 Watts) with good distortion, and good for playing metal (I play death metal mostly). And, not more than 500$...

I want it to be with built in effects, and, if possible with a foot controller.

I like The Marshall MG series.. But I also liked the Vox Valvetronix so much.

So which do you suggest..?? (not only among these two, suggest me any amp that would be good for metal).

Thanks in advance.

I know you say you want it to have built in fx, but the truth is you don't, because they will be arse.

You can probably get a JCM 900/2000 for around 300 second hand, or a 5150/6505 off Ebay for around 500. Avoid solid state stuff if you're wanting the amp to grunt.

Don't buy a Line6. That line should probably be stapled to the top of this section of the forum in massive letters.

Whilst I don't like Dimebags tone at all, Randalls do have a bit of low end presence to them, and are towards top end of solid state amps, even if they are one trick ponies. A Line6 will be barely audible in a live mix, without the top end piercing ear drums. The Marshall MG range is certainly no better or worse, but both are the bottom rung of the Solid State ladder.

You also have to remember Dimebag played through several Randalls at any one given time. For a half stack option, a valve amp is going to cut it alot better than a solid state model. They sound better too, regardless of what Dimebag did. There's plenty of metal guitarists with far superior tone, who used valve amps.

So I'm gonna buy a new amp. But I don't know which one to get.. I want it to be 50 Watts (or 60 at most, or if it's expensive, it could be 30 Watts) with good distortion, and good for playing metal (I play death metal mostly). And, not more than 500$...

I want it to be with built in effects, and, if possible with a foot controller.

I like The Marshall MG series.. But I also liked the Vox Valvetronix so much.

So which do you suggest..?? (not only among these two, suggest me any amp that would be good for metal).

Thanks in advance.

Peavey Valveking combo.

Nuff said

hey there is nowt wrong with line 6 if you avoid the effects lols and you dont need valve amps for grunt dimebag swore by his randalls they were all solidstate and he still got amazing tone

line 6 amps are fine for bedroom players and recording on occasions, but other than that, they are utterly useless, they don't cut it live at all.

dimebag's tone was ass

total ass

completely disagree with this.

Dimebag's tone wasn't that great one the first 2 proper albums, but from Far Beyond Driven onwards, holy fuck. Absolutely astonishing. It's dead clear, super heavy and fills out their sound where most other 1 guitar bands utterly fall flat on their face.

Just listen to Sandblasted Skin! Fucking holy shit!

completely disagree with this.

Dimebag's tone wasn't that great one the first 2 proper albums, but from Far Beyond Driven onwards, holy fuck. Absolutely astonishing. It's dead clear, super heavy and fills out their sound where most other 1 guitar bands utterly fall flat on their face.

Just listen to Sandblasted Skin! Fucking holy shit!

Have to agree with that, while the previous 2 albums are better song wise, Far Beyond Driven is one of my favourite albums for the guitar tone, It's fucking outstanding.

Anyway, Krank or the Randall V2 are beasting, if a bit expensive.

dimebag didn't play death metal

actually, I think you'll find if you listen to the riff at 2:41 on "slaughtered" from far beyond driven you'll find that it is very death metal influenced.

But yeah, Pantera weren't a death metal band, this thread is moving off in a tangent.

Original poster, check out a peavey Valveking, great amps for the money.

Don't bother with the VOX or the Marshall, waste of money.

try you tubing ......bugera 6262 or bugera333 for less than 500 you get a 120watt combo that will play reincarnated metal never mind the death stuff....you will hear this in the afterlife........there is a lot of snobbery involved with amps but if you blind folded people they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between margarine and butter ( ask your dad )........seriously...... listen to the comparisons on you tube

the bugera competes with all the big names for half the price......or try the line 6 valve deals with bogner ...don't be a snob ...use your ears............hope this helps.........from an old fart

They sound better too, regardless of what Dimebag did. There's plenty of metal guitarists with far superior tone, who used valve amps.

Personal preference ;)

I have a Randall RG100ES (Dimebag fanboy amp as used on Cowboys, Far Beyond Driven and Trendkill) and it sounds excellent.

I also have an ENGL SE EL34 which is excellent.

They are very different, yet both sound awesome for metal. Just depends what you want to achieve.

I prefer the Randall to alot of metal guitarist's valve based tones. Doesn't make it better. :up:

I know that isn't your point as such and I'm being picky and arsey, but yeah :)

OP, the AVT Marshall range (now discontinued) sounded better than the MG (IMO) with a few more options to use with it aswell.

What sorta sounds are you trying to get anywhere near (you don't need to be trying to directly replicate anyone in particular, but must have something roughly in mind)?

i bought the bugera 6262 i think... which ever one they "say" is a copy of the Peavey 5150. As i got my original 5150 stolen... and so yeah.. THEY LIED!!!! IT SUCKS BALLS!!! So i got a 2nd hand 6505 instead for about 50 more than the new Bugera. Needless to say... instant sexual tones. But i use the lead channel and the gain of the amp for my sound. It worked fine driving pedals.. really depends what sound ye want.

It's not snobbery when i tried!!!