Nah, it just doesn't work.

There was a young lady from Compton, who got treated at the royal Brompton

From Oakland to queens to Milton keynes and the Phillipines

She tried different brands of refried beans, by any means, often fat often lean

And now her nicknames Trumpton

Could become

There was a young ho from Compton, who got rehab in da Brompton

From Oakland to queens to Milton keynes and the Phillipines

She tried different brands of hash, for fun, sometimes waving a gun, by any means, often whilst singing the sash

And now her nicknames the ginger

If rappified

• Upvote 1

Guest Tam o' Shantie
No drugs or weapons in this rap!

Man, how much sifting through the 3 decades of rap records did you do to find one that wasn't about drugs or weapons?

I had no idea Aberdeen was home to such a healthy digging community.

There's a funny as fuck series of videos on youtube called something like "the history of rap" and it's an old TV show made in the 80s when rap was really coming into the mainstream. It's presented by Steve Lamacq and it's maybe the funniest thing you'll ever see.

I need to find it again because it is unintentionally hilarious. In fact I'm sure I posted it before somewhere.

EDIT - here's one clip from it. I implore everybody to watch it, rap fan or otherwise, it is incredible.

Man, how much sifting through the 3 decades of rap records did you do to find one that wasn't about drugs or weapons?

I had no idea Aberdeen was home to such a healthy digging community.

None..i remember when it came out!:up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Thanks for the links but am I right in thinking that hip-hop and rap started out as the same genre and both evolved, one into a happier medium(hip-hop) and one int social commentary(rap)?

As Krs-One said, "rap is something you do, hip hop is something you live". Hip Hop describes a cultural movement and lifestyle that originally revolved around 4 forms of art or 'elements': rapping, djing, breakdancing and graffiti. So really hip hop is like the wider picture that encompasses all of these activities, and rap in itself is just a portion of it. I suppose people use the term 'hip hop' musically to describe the artists and records that are closer or truer to the cultural movement than some others. A good example would be comedian Rodney Dangerfield's ass-dilatingly awful single of the 80s, 'Rappin' Rodney'. While it cannot be contested that Rodney raps throughout the entire song, it could by no stretch of the imagination be reffered to as a hip hop record.

Thanks for the links but am I right in thinking that hip-hop and rap started out as the same genre and both evolved, one into a happier medium(hip-hop) and one int social commentary(rap)?

I have an angry musician friend who pointed out to me that Dylan actually made the first rap record. I don't know if that's true but he is very angry so I didn't want to challenge the fact.