aberdeen-music

Aberdeen: UK city of culture 2013?

MattJimF

But surely that would requirement a huge level of investment in shit to tart the place up (ala Liverpool)? Just what we need with a 50million dept tag (though it would bring some cash in).

Anyone else feel sick to the core when they saw the massive, 2-storey council stand at Offshore Europe? It was full of pissed up council workers, stuffing their faces with sandwiches. What the fuck they were doing there (and shelling out to be in one of the most prominant areas) is beyond me... my estimate is that the stand would have cost around 75k for the week. If anyone could confirm a figure, that'd be epic.

It wasn't a very good PR move, the general attitude from people I spoke to was, "What the fuck are they doing here with a massive stand... waste of money.... debt... etc etc"

75k and then some! I know for a fact Exxons Stand cost 120k for the stand ONLY!!

Add rental, staff, printing etc etc ....KER-CHING!!!!!!!

"What the fuck are they doing here with a massive stand" - Exactly.

-

But surely that would requirement a huge level of investment in shit to tart the place up (ala Liverpool)? Just what we need with a 50million dept tag (though it would bring some cash in).

Anyone else feel sick to the core when they saw the massive, 2-storey council stand at Offshore Europe? It was full of pissed up council workers, stuffing their faces with sandwiches. What the fuck they were doing there (and shelling out to be in one of the most prominant areas) is beyond me... my estimate is that the stand would have cost around 75k for the week. If anyone could confirm a figure, that'd be epic.

It wasn't a very good PR move, the general attitude from people I spoke to was, "What the fuck are they doing here with a massive stand... waste of money.... debt... etc etc"

Were they shelling that out though? Aberdeen City and Shire hosted the event from what I can gather. I couldn't be arsed gathering information on whether Aberdeen City and Shire are connected to the councils in any way but I presume that to be the case and if so imagine that the council wouldn't be paying the same rate as the oil companies, if anything at all beyond the cost of the stand and staff. If I worked for the council and had the opportunity to get pissed up and stuff my face with free sandwiches I certainly would!

The spending of all public money should be available under the Freedom of Information Act so you can request it from the Council.

I'm going to throw in a more positive post here. I know these "City of Culture" tags are pretty much for show but it wouldn't be a bad thing if the council opened up a bit and helped rather than hindered. There is no culture without the people within the city creating it and doing their best to keep it going, endeavouring to make it a brighter and more exiting to place to live. If the city were to receive the accolade it would be down to those putting in the effort not to the council for applying for it. So it would actually be a well done to those who put effort in without the thought of reward.

I think for the size of the city there are a lot of people doing interesting projects and promoting more and more interesting cultural enterprises whether it be art or music. There was recently a successful film festival.. I don't remember that being in existence before. Music promoters are trying their hardest to bring the best quality they can to the city. That does not always mean famous, I know from my point of view that the bands that I invite are not that well know but they are damn good at what they do and folk always enjoy them. We have a great youth festival that has been going for years. Feel free to add to the list of great stuff that happens in Aberdeen. If you add something negative I can only assume you are doing nothing yourself to make a difference.

What I would like to see is the council actively seeking the advice of the people that create the culture. What is it that is required to make it easier to put on events? How can they help us rather than getting in the way? For example simple stuff like why so little space in the city centre letting people know what is going on? Do we really need an A1 poster advertising a gentlemen's clubs on the Belmont street billboard or would making it free to drop in a poster to the council building to be put up by them be a better use of space? There are many examples of where improvements could be made on this front. If the council are serious, even if the award is not won, at least our lives may be made a little easier. It's no fun wading through mud, it often feels that way.

I don't think there is any real reason it should cost any significant amount to fulfil the criteria of being a city of culture. Using the spaces that already exist, making it easier to let people know what's on, and having the council push and encourage events and not get in the way of cool ideas is the way forward. Also scrap that shitty oil funded square idea and go back to the original Peacock design, actually take the guys money for holding it up and use the spare to fix up the Tivoli.

• Upvote 1

There used to be The Alternative Festival years ago which was ace,cause it had all types of music.I think it was council funded too.Also companies like APA should be getting involved,after all they take enough money out of the city[imo].The Tivoli is privately owned so i think the council would be reluctant to invest in it...shame really!Maybe Trump and other large corporations should make further investments in the city?:up:

• 2 months later...