aberdeen-music

Aberdeen: UK city of culture 2013?

MattJimF

Anyone else feel sick to the core when they saw the massive, 2-storey council stand at Offshore Europe? It was full of pissed up council workers, stuffing their faces with sandwiches. What the fuck they were doing there (and shelling out to be in one of the most prominant areas) is beyond me... my estimate is that the stand would have cost around 75k for the week. If anyone could confirm a figure, that'd be epic.

It wasn't a very good PR move, the general attitude from people I spoke to was, "What the fuck are they doing here with a massive stand... waste of money.... debt... etc etc"

I was more interested in this story

Pair deny naked protest at Offshore Europe - Evening Express

Until I stuck her name into Google.

protester_167772t.jpg

Throw the book at her I say.

Anyone else feel sick to the core when they saw the massive, 2-storey council stand at Offshore Europe? It was full of pissed up council workers, stuffing their faces with sandwiches. What the fuck they were doing there (and shelling out to be in one of the most prominant areas) is beyond me... my estimate is that the stand would have cost around 75k for the week. If anyone could confirm a figure, that'd be epic.

It wasn't a very good PR move, the general attitude from people I spoke to was, "What the fuck are they doing here with a massive stand... waste of money.... debt... etc etc"

It's ok, they would have made up the costs in parking ticket money...

Delegates hit by blitz on oil show car parking - Press & Journal

I like the photo of the Exhibition centre next to the article which describes the protesters as Two Women -Typical bollocks from the Evening Excuse - one of them was described in the article as being a man - he even has a mannies name, was he a ladyboy?

So they're going to pump obscene amounts of money into being city of culture, then what are all these visitors going to do when they get here?

Struggle to find anywhere to stay during the week? Not go on the 'hop-on/hop-off bus' as it's been canned (although the signs are still up for it, cue angry visitors waiting for hours for a non-existent bus service)? Not have any means of finding things to do or places to visit (besides the tourist info) as the council has stopped producing pretty much all literature about the city - self walk guides, what's on etc. Most of the attractions out width the city are near enough inaccessible without a car unless, and the ones you can get to involve overpriced bus journeys which generally ditch you about a mile from anything worth seeing.

If my impromptu summer working for Visit Scotland has taught me anything its that catering for visitors is pretty much right at the bottom of Aberdeen City/Shire Councils to-do list. Sure theres more important things, but its an area that really needs a wee bit of attention before anyone starts thinking about 'City of Culture'.

• Upvote 1

what really is the point of all this city of culture nonsense? seems to me like an excuse for councils to spend funds on shite which could be used for more worthwhile exercises.

and the local alan partridge's of this country to whitter on about it for months on end.

Doesn't a city need to have culture first? The only "culture" Aberdeen has is the same as every other Scottish city. Drunken arseholes on a Saturday night.

No wai! Clearly, Aberdeen is unique as no one else thinks they're superior for having a median wage job, tenement flat and shit hatchback. Probably the only city in the whole of the UK that hasn't quite got how rubbish it all is and therefore a perfect ambassador for the nation.