aberdeen-music

Jonathan Meades: Off Kilter about Aberdeen

Mr Owl PhD

I enjoyed watching it, wasn't paying much attention during the start of the program, so will have to re-watch that.

It was quite interesting how he was commenting on the design and structure of Old Aberdeen and Fittie (also quite funny hearing him say fittie).

He made a good point about how the oil companies create these great rigs that are similarly styled to the Lloyd's building in London or the Pompidou centre and yet they created these great big grey slabs for headquarters.

The taking the piss out of McDonald Trump was also a highlight.

Aberdeen was on something else last night as well, Location Location Location or something like that.

EDIT - here it is. Episode 6

Location, Location, Location - 4oD - Channel 4

"Phil and Kirstie head for Aberdeen, Europe's oil capital. And with the oil business keeping prices high across the city, the property gurus must move fast to land a bargain."

This was one of the greatest TV programmes I have ever watched. Fan-fucking-tastic. This guy Meades is a legend. I was chuckling through quite a bit of it but I just about ended myself when he did his McDonald Trump bit, "World Class School!" and there's a picture of a Portacabin. It's not up on youtube yet so I think I'll put it up, fucking brilliant.

Summed up Ian Wood's "vision" perfectly too, "vainglorious". Superb. Seriously, everybody needs to watch this.

....should point out to those who haven't watched it yet that it gets brilliant beyond the opening sequence about corned beef. Persevere!

Although personally I found a lot of that stuff hilarious. Overall I thought it started off hilarious, got more serious in the middle with the architecture stuff, then hilarious again towards the end with the Wood/McDonald stuff.

Never heard of this guy before, is he always this brilliant?

Although personally I found a lot of that stuff hilarious. Overall I thought it started off hilarious, got more serious in the middle with the architecture stuff, then hilarious again towards the end with the Wood/McDonald stuff.

I suppose I was just a little confused that I thought I was watching an excellent programme about Aberdeen's Architecture and all I was getting was corned beef and typhoid...

I'd never heard of him either but there's a heap of youtube footage, including a piece about vegetarianism.....

Yes IMO - I've been a fan for years.

Although I do accept that he has got more deliberately barking recently and personally his dryer and less flamboyant commentaries of a few years back were his best.

Check out his "Abroad in Britain with", "Further Abroad with" & "Even Further Abroad with" series, plus his commentaries on various aspects of architecture eg "Jerry Building", "Travels with Pevsner" & "Magnetic North" - pretty regular rotation on BBC4

He also did a bloody good one-off on Edinburgh too. Look-out for that.