aberdeen-music

Derren Brown - Lottery Prediction

sross90

I'll be really disappointed if it ends up being camera trickery. His tricks are usually a lot better than that.

I'm in no doubt that the balls that were there before the draw didn't have the numbers we saw at the end on them though. I also don't believe he'll spend an hour on Friday night telling us exactly how he did it. He might tell us one method to possibly do it or give away a bit of what he did, but he'll still leave something to the imagination. Or he'll use it all as a build up to an even bigger mindfuck.

I'll be really disappointed if it ends up being camera trickery. His tricks are usually a lot better than that.

I'm in no doubt that the balls that were there before the draw didn't have the numbers we saw at the end on them though. I also don't believe he'll spend an hour on Friday night telling us exactly how he did it. He might tell us one method to possibly do it or give away a bit of what he did, but he'll still leave something to the imagination. Or he'll use it all as a build up to an even bigger mindfuck.

it's part of a bigger series of 4 large scale misdirection events. so i'm guessing it was sleight of hand or some kind of misdirection.

i forgot about it last night so will have to watch it on 4od tonight.

Hahaha!

"Derren is a time traveller. Everyone knows this consider this a warning, soon he will take over the world and make us all his minions."

Still seems the most likely tbh.

Either that or his suggestion at the end. Unbelievable. I love watching his stuff. The David Blaine programme on after was pretty good as well, those two guys blow my mind.

Brilliant piece of TV to watch (everyone here that I've shown it to has been impressed!) - but it was just simple camera trickery in the end.

Watch this -

Scroll to 5:37 in, then watch the leftmost ball as close as you can. You can see the leftmost ball moving up - it's slow enough to catch with the eye without using slow-mo,

Brilliant to use such a simple deception and yet get everyone talking about it!

All that 'deep maths' bollocks got a bit tiresome last night, but the interesting thing was how he managed to make the volunteers really believe they had 'worked out' the right numbers, specially the hysterical woman at the front. That was the trick right there really, they were the subjects.

Hopefully as this was part 1 of 4 'events' it will all connect up and lead up to something pretty spectacular.

Hopefully as this was part 1 of 4 'events' it will all connect up and lead up to something pretty spectacular.

That's what I wondered as there were some loose ends at the end of the show last night. There is nothing to suggest the group predicted those numbers as he wrote them down and loaded the balls into the tube with no verification. But that allowed him to make the group believe they predicted a completely random set of numbers, which is a bit ridiculous but giving people that sort of belief is the basis for many of his shows. Then suggesting he can fix the lottery at the end adds a bit of confusion, which again I guess may be giving him room to build up to something.

A lot of his shows involve planting messages for a big ending so perhaps these initial episodes are doing just that and will lead up to a finale. Next weeks show seems interesting by making viewers unable to get out of their chairs, will make sure I go for a piss before the end of that one!

i think its a stunt by the bbc to get more people to play the lottery

yeah i was thinking there was probably a bit of co-operation between dbrown's people and camelot (or whatever the lottery organisers call themselves now)

more people buy lottery tickets for the weekend draws than the mid-week draws. the stunt, er, drew people's attention to the existence of a mid-week draw.

rigging the televised draw in the manner which brown alluded to on his show with the weighted balls wouldn't be as illegal and troublesome as he made it out to be. a draw could've been made off-camera like half an hour before the televised draw, which would have decided upon the winning numbers through the usual methods. the televised draw would have simply been for show, substituting 6 weighted balls with numbers corresponding to those drawn earlier.

i'm assuming the draw was done on tv, i never saw it. and i only caught the beginning and end of the explanatory show, i was getting tired of dbrown's wank about stamping on mice and whatnot. so please excuse me if i'm overlooking anything obvious or just talking rubbish.

If it's simply just a split screen, then what a farse. He's usually better than that. I'd be more impressed if he'd managed to bribe the BBC enough to rig the whole draw. Not a trick. Just pure breaking the law.

What?

He is a good magician who fools people using simple methods, not subliminal mind techniques or illegal activities. It's just good old fashioned fun that is somewhat spoiled by the fact that we can find out how it is done via the internet roughly 5 minutes after the performance, but fun nonetheless.

That would be amazing, that would totally open everything up.

I think one of the common misconceptions about Derren Brown is that his stuff is just about doing tricks and illusions. I think the main motivation behind a lot of his bigger stunts are to show fallibility in belief systems i.e The Seance and The System, as he is an outspoken skeptic of psychics/paranormal and an athiest.

I think the main point to be drawn from lottery predictions are that people will always try and attach an explanation to something that doesn't fall within their understanding of how the world works e.g the lottery is random and unpredictable. His linking of The Horse-Racing system to Holistic therapy was inspired.

Not only has Derren Brown made some of the best television of the decade, he has more or less single-handedly deb unkedPsychic and Spiritualists (my biggest pet-hate) by doing what they do, better than they do it and then telling us it has nothing to do with psychic ability. I actually love him.

I'd like to think that the trick couldn't be done if the balls had horizontal stripes on them because It could be possible for the number to be printed on the underside of the ball as the result is announced, the ball then rotated so that the number shows on the front. (or the side not facing us if you like.) Just like printing the lion on an egg. This also explains why he didn't touch the balls (the ink would be wet) and why the camera was low definition (you'd see the balls rotate)

The glass stand would refract any cable going through it provided the cable doesn't go directly up the middle.

That's my theory anyway.

Derren Brown has obviously read 'The 13 steps of Mentalism' by Corinda because he has used some of his tricks before. You'll find a few of his tricks in there and in 'Practical Mentalism' by Anneman.

That would be amazing, that would totally open everything up.

I think one of the common misconceptions about Derren Brown is that his stuff is just about doing tricks and illusions. I think the main motivation behind a lot of his bigger stunts are to show fallibility in belief systems i.e The Seance and The System, as he is an outspoken skeptic of psychics/paranormal and an athiest.

I think the main point to be drawn from lottery predictions are that people will always try and attach an explanation to something that doesn't fall within their understanding of how the world works e.g the lottery is random and unpredictable. His linking of The Horse-Racing system to Holistic therapy was inspired.

Not only has Derren Brown made some of the best television of the decade, he has more or less single-handedly deb unkedPsychic and Spiritualists (my biggest pet-hate) by doing what they do, better than they do it and then telling us it has nothing to do with psychic ability. I actually love him.

I concurr; i think all these events will be paramount to some big massive event thing.