imp: Crooked Still + Smokin' Catfish @ The Tunnels - 18th October

offramp

interesting music promotions and Vocoustics present

CROOKED STILL + SMOKIN CATFISH

Sunday 18th October 2009

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen, AB10 1BF. Phone (01224) 211121

Doors 8pm

Tickets 8+bf in adv / 10 on door

Available from One-Up Records, Belmont Street, Aberdeen. Phone (01224) 642662 or http://www.ticketweb.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

http://www.thetunnels.co.uk

cs_poster_01_border.jpg

CROOKED STILL

Crooked Still are a self-styled alternative bluegrass band and arguably the "the most important folk group to emerge from Boston since the early 60s" (Boston Globe). Creating a hard-to-pigeon-hole mix of dark and mesmerising, yet deeply uplifting, old-time roots and folk music which confuse the boundaries between the modern and the traditional.

Consisting of Aoife O'Donovan (vocal), Dr. Gregory Liszt (Banjo), Corey DiMario (double bass), Tristan Clarridge (cello) and Brittany Haas (fiddle) their live performances are known for their high energy, technical skill, unusual instrumentation and innovative acoustic style. Much like moonshine distilled in the apparatus that inspired their name, Crooked Still are still fermenting. And the music here is undeniably intoxicating...

We will let these quotes speak for themselves:

"No one captures the eerie, gorgeous menace of classic Anglo-American folk ballads like this Boston band... chilling and otherworldly." USA Today

"...your expectations of how bluegrass and old-time classics should be performed will be turned on its ear." Vintage Guitar Magazine

"They make bluegrass music sounds like nobody else's... Aoife O'Donovan has a voice of rare, stunning purity and clarity." Sing Out!

"Still Crooked is an elegant package of superbly crafted musical styles taking country/folk as the deep foundation and veering off into exciting and exhilarating directions." All Music Guide

"Warmed by a robust cello, the inventive arrangements forgo high and lonesome in favor of deep, dusky yearning." Time Out New York

"A highly skilled outfit with an ingenious flair for steering traditional music in unexpected directions...rarely have musings about death, misadventure and murder sounded so lovely" The Boston Globe

http://www.crookedstill.com

http://www.myspace.com/crookedstill

SMOKIN' CATFISH

Kick-ass, dance-to bluegrass from a local 6-piece made up of double bass, guitar, 2 banjos, mandolin, fiddle and 3 great singers in 3-part harmony bliss.

http://www.myspace.com/smokincatfish

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played a solo set alongside Smokin Catfish a while back. It was their first gig I think, and I thought they did pretty well, I would imagine they have improved since then. Minor gripes would be the fact that the banjo player appeared to be playing in guitar tuning and that 95% of their repertoire consisted of Old Crow Medicine Show covers, but I would imagine it's nigh on impossible to get a bluegrass band off the ground in Aberdeen so good luck to them.

Yeah it was a good gig.

Thought Smokin' Catfish were excellent. Not sure how you couldn't think much of them o_O

Sorry for holding an opinion, they weren't my cup of lukewarm piss, so what? I didn't enjoy their set. I didn't say they were shite or slate them in any way, I said I didn't think much of them.

Good on them for getting a bluegrass band off the ground in Aberdeen. Bad on them for stalking me through MySpace in a effort to, and I quote, "change my tune about them." Keep doing what you are doing guys, just don't force yourselves on me.

Played a solo set alongside Smokin Catfish a while back. It was their first gig I think, and I thought they did pretty well, I would imagine they have improved since then. Minor gripes would be the fact that the banjo player appeared to be playing in guitar tuning and that 95% of their repertoire consisted of Old Crow Medicine Show covers, but I would imagine it's nigh on impossible to get a bluegrass band off the ground in Aberdeen so good luck to them.

First time I'd seen them and I was impressed. Tight for a 7-piece band too, especially seeing as a violin player was drafted in on the night. Excellent harmonies too.

Just had a look at their myspace, seems they've added a mandolin player and a real banjo playor to complement their "banjotarist". And they've got Del McCoury and "Steve Earl" down as influences, which is good as they had never heard of them when I recommended them at the gig last year, lol.

An accordion player joined them for a couple of tunes as well.

That was me, im a part-time Catfish.

Crooked Still were amazing. All excellent musicians and Greg Liszt on banjo is unbelievable! 4-finger picks and must be playing 10+ notes-a-second! mind boggling.

Great atmosphere, and great night overall with an excellent turnout for a folk gig in the Tunnels.

That was me, im a part-time Catfish.

Crooked Still were amazing. All excellent musicians and Greg Liszt on banjo is unbelievable! 4-finger picks and must be playing 10+ notes-a-second! mind boggling.

Great atmosphere, and great night overall with an excellent turnout for a folk gig in the Tunnels.

Go on..tell everybody about jamming with him!