aberdeen-music

Loophole in Criminal Record Check

Emma

Whilst I think it really important to protect children from the kind of horrific abuses that can committed against them, I do worry about becoming a society of suspicious curtain twitchers, checking up on one another through government phone lines. I'm not sure the scale of offences warrants this level of state interference into people's lives (disclosure, new registering system for anyone who spends regular time with children, such as weekly car journeys). People should open their eyes to the adults spending time with their children and the effects these people make, rather than relying on the government to give them placebos, and what is ultimately a false sense of security. It's offensive and bloody depressing that we feel the need to ask people to present proof of their 'not-a-peado' status.

The thread seemed pretty dead so I'm just talking in general now. I've filled out four disclosure forms in the past two weeks. Why are we so paranoid these days?

Why are we so paranoid these days?

I blame the media. No, seriously, I was out of the country when pedogedden happened. Coming back to this is like taking a strange journey to a tripout city where I'm supposed to find children attractive because I'm a straight male with no kids of my own.

I don't even like children. They're like pets you have to pay more repsect to because they're human.

I blame the media. No, seriously, I was out of the country when pedogedden happened. Coming back to this is like taking a strange journey to a tripout city where I'm supposed to find children attractive because I'm a straight male with no kids of my own.

I don't even like children. They're like pets you have to pay more repsect to because they're human.

Haha, brilliant.

It's true. I'm almost afraid to talk to or even look at children these days in case I get branded a paedophile by some pitchfork-wielding Sun reader. It's ridiculous really. You can't even make silly faces at a kid in a buggy in the queue at Asda without someone eyeing you suspiciously.

It's true. I'm almost afraid to talk to or even look at children these days in case I get branded a paedophile by some pitchfork-wielding Sun reader. It's ridiculous really. You can't make silly faces at a kid in a buggy in the queue at Asda without someone eyeing you suspiciously.

This is true, and very sad. At least I can say "I have a two year old" and make conversation abou Cbeebies when they start dialling 999, no such luck for men without kids.

Guest Gladstone
It's true. I'm almost afraid to talk to or even look at children these days in case I get branded a paedophile by some pitchfork-wielding Sun reader. It's ridiculous really. You can't even make silly faces at a kid in a buggy in the queue at Asda without someone eyeing you suspiciously.

Paedo

You know, this hit home to me a few weeks ago. I was on a bus and some kid was making a silly noise. So I copied him while keeping an absolutely straight face. The kid laughed and did it in return, so I copied him again. Repeat for about ten minutes. The mother was laughing, other people were smiling (except the obligatory old git) and everyone was amused.

But I wouldn't dare in the UK now. It's sad :(

The CRB checks and new ISA checks would be fine well if they were based on common sense. But seeing as all sorts of allegations can find their way onto your 'file' - what's the point in any volunteering if a malicious kid can claim 'paedo' and ruin your career?

Fair enough, children need to be protected - but adults need to be protected too.

What do we think of this?

"A scheme to help warn parents about known sex offenders who may be in contact with their children will be launched in Tayside today.

The pilot project, which is being run by Tayside Police, will allow parents, carers and guardians to check with police and authorities whether someone with unsupervised access to a child they are responsible for is a convicted sex offender."

Scheme to warn if sex offenders are in contact with children - Press & Journal

Guest Gladstone

To add a bit of comedy to this discussion...

My 11 year old nephew was playing in a school football tournament recently and got beat in the final. They've won quite a lot of tournaments recently, and he took the huff when they got beat and stormed off the pitch and kept going Forrest Gump style. My sister in law (his mum) chased after him and caught up with him a couple of hundred yards further on, and asked what was wrong. His response:

"That ref's a bloody pediofile"

You know, this hit home to me a few weeks ago. I was on a bus and some kid was making a silly noise. So I copied him while keeping an absolutely straight face. The kid laughed and did it in return, so I copied him again. Repeat for about ten minutes. The mother was laughing, other people were smiling (except the obligatory old git) and everyone was amused.

But I wouldn't dare in the UK now. It's sad :(

The CRB checks and new ISA checks would be fine well if they were based on common sense. But seeing as all sorts of allegations can find their way onto your 'file' - what's the point in any volunteering if a malicious kid can claim 'paedo' and ruin your career?

Fair enough, children need to be protected - but adults need to be protected too.

True that. And we end up in the situation where it's difficult to disseminate information about sex offenders to the general public because of the hysteria. Like, in America they have Megan's Law so all sex offenders have to register their whereabouts and you can put in your zip code on your state's website and you'll get their location on a map and a little thumbnail and rap sheet about them. It actually proved useful to a music board I was posting on over there when I lived there as there was a creepy molester who was preying on girls in the local clubland. So, everyone was alerted and the next time he rolled up some rather large security men reminded him of his parole obligations.

Of course, try that here and 'Big Marge' from the estate will turn up with her lynch mob.:down:

I still do that, and if I get eyed suspiciously I just pull a funny face at the parent :up: no-ones told me off for doing it yet

True that. And we end up in the situation where it's difficult to disseminate information about sex offenders to the general public because of the hysteria. Like, in America they have Megan's Law so all sex offenders have to register their whereabouts and you can put in your zip code on your state's website and you'll get their location on a map and a little thumbnail and rap sheet about them. It actually proved useful to a music board I was posting on over there when I lived there as there was a creepy molester who was preying on girls in the local clubland. So, everyone was alerted and the next time he rolled up some rather large security men reminded him of his parole obligations.

Of course, try that here and 'Big Marge' from the estate will turn up with her lynch mob.:down:

jesus_quintana-758448.jpg

I heard recently that at primary school sports days, the parents aren't allowed to bring cameras any more, in case someone is taking photos of the kids in their shorts to sell on to paedos, or to take home and crack one off over. It's fucking crazy. The media's got everybody in such a panic it's like parents want all schools to be surrounded by 20 foot fences and barbed wire, because everybody outside the fence might want to shag their kids.

jesus_quintana-758448.jpg

Haha, ah yes. The Jesus. Well, I'm not sure anyone would fuck with him but yeah that's what they do. It's all online now though. At least, I never had anyone stop by to reveal they have committed any sexual indiscretions but there were a few wrongcocks in my neighbourhood, I checked for giggles.

I heard recently that at primary school sports days, the parents aren't allowed to bring cameras any more, in case someone is taking photos of the kids in their shorts to sell on to paedos, or to take home and crack one off over. It's fucking crazy. The media's got everybody in such a panic it's like parents want all schools to be surrounded by 20 foot fences and barbed wire, because everybody outside the fence might want to shag their kids.

Yeah we're not allowed to film nativity plays etc... BUT usually one of the teachers films it, and you can buy a copy of the video from the receptionist!

And just when you think the media might do the right thing and relent in their foul trade in emotive tabloid stories, they crank it up further by reminding us that PEDOS ARE VICTIMS TOO. I was watching Channel 4 and they actually said that about the murderers of Peter Connelly. Like, WTF??? They're just winding everyone up. They should bring the bans, IMO.

Yup, all the while trusting the grandad who lost his wife a few years back and who definitely wouldn't go touching the child when he's left there overnight. After all, who's going to believe the kid that the grandad was touching him in the night? And this is the real problem.

I was reading recently that men just don't want to become primary school teachers because they're almost automatically assumed to be a paedo - what with the lack of male influences in primary schools to begin with, this can't be a good thing!

The infamous Scott Simpson case was a classic example of where the media whipped everyone into mass hysteria, yet no-one ever criticised the parents for letting a child of 9 with learning difficulties go to the park unsupervised.

Some of the tales coming out are really sad as well, I was reading online about a report of a father who was getting dirty looks from people because he took his daughter swimming.