aberdeen-music

Loophole in Criminal Record Check

Emma

Hellooooo, I haven't posted on here in ages as I moved to london, but though i'd return with a bit a controversy.

I recently found out through some training at work that when foreign workers apply for jobs working with children/vulnerable people or jobs in high security positions any overseas convictions will not show up on their Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) check.

CRB checks only cover convictions in the UK. So I believe that some major failings are imminent in terms of a sex offender working in a nursery or a violent criminal working in baggage control.

What are other peoples views on the matter?

I (clearly) feel very strongly about this so I have made an online petition to try and get something done about this. please sign it if you agree with the outline will only take a couple of mins. the website is Petition to: impose compulsory checks on overseas workers. | Number10.gov.uk

Also here are some links to pages that also discuss the issue

Care home workers go unchecked, police warn - Times Online

Foreign criminals work at airports unchecked - Telegraph

and a couple of videos

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Newsnight | Airport workers security risk

BBC NEWS | UK | Minister on airport security

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Fucking Big Brother. Can no-one flee to Britain to escape the stigma that comes with having a rape conviction anymore..?!

Which contestant are you referring to here?

CRB checks in general are pretty-much a waste of time TBH. The system is so badly managed and full of errors & backlogs, whilst ACPO have taken a lot of flack for running it as a for-profit monopoly venture for themselves.

I refused to submit mine for work because the handbook appeared to give no way of challenging or filtering any results except through their lens and after a hellish couple of years in my past when the police pursued me hard for a couple of very serious offences before having to issue a full apology for chasing the wrong man & subjecting me to a load of truly illegal "investigation methods," I simply didn't trust them enough anyway and saw no reason to wake-up that unpleasantness all over again. Some years down the line, I'm still in my job, have been promoted and still occasionally work wirh kids. :)

Yes but the point is that UK citizens wouldn't get a second chance if they had convictions. So overseas workers may have convictions and they don't show up. So it's not a second chance it's concealed.

I didn't want to go all daily mail on everyone but the truth of it is that theoretically there could be people working in baggage handling who have overseas convictions possibly regarding firearms or explosives and they would appear to have a clean CRB check as the convictions were overseas.

Foreign criminals work at airports unchecked - Telegraph

I for one am outraged at this revelation. I suggest that the only thing we can do to combat this cancer on our society is to kick out all the foreigners immediately. I say we start with the black people, and work backwards through the different levels of blackness until there are only white British people left. Who's with me?

they took our jaaabs!

Durka durr!

I for one am outraged at this revelation. I suggest that the only thing we can do to combat this cancer on our society is to kick out all the foreigners immediately. I say we start with the black people' date=' and work backwards through the different levels of blackness until there are only white British people left. Who's with me?[/quote']

Erase the ethnic rainbow?

I think the point is that overseas workers should be subject to the same screening as UK workers and the way you've phrased your petition sounds rather agressive. Compulsary checks? No. The same checks? Yes.

Ultimately though it's the responsibility of the employer to screen their workers, especially when it comes to jobs dealing with vunerable people. I would imagine (but I don't know, so don't shout at me) that most people working in a nursery/school/special needs area/or just anyone who may be considered vunerable would need to have a full UK work permit and as such would have been vetted before they were allowed to work in such a capacity. Same goes for people working in a position of authority or trust.

I see your point but to be honest after a while this problem goes round in circles and it comes down to passing the blame to someone else. I tried to type it all down but I got confused and decided that tonight I want to believe in the good in people and this thread won't help me in that :)

The bottom line is if a person wants to commit an act of terrorism, they'll try to find a way to do it, I don't imagine it matters if they work in the airport or McDonald's

I think the point is that overseas workers should be subject to the same screening as UK workers and the way you've phrased your petition sounds rather agressive. Compulsary checks? No. The same checks? Yes.

Ultimately though it's the responsibility of the employer to screen their workers, especially when it comes to jobs dealing with vunerable people. I would imagine (but I don't know, so don't shout at me) that most people working in a nursery/school/special needs area/or just anyone who may be considered vunerable would need to have a full UK work permit and as such would have been vetted before they were allowed to work in such a capacity.

The reason for using the word compulsary is because the way it stands at the moment the CRB check only covers time in the UK and the employer is then responsible for contacting the overseas information service to obtain the police records from that country. However this is not mandatory and is therefore not done. I am petitioning for the government to make this check compulsary and not up to the employer.

To work with vunerable people you must have a full UK work permit. In airport security you must have lived in the country 5 years. However this still means that their background cannot be checked the same way it is with UK born citizens.

so all in all I do mean yes they should be subject to the same checks, and to do this the government need to make contacting the overseas information service compulsary.

I for one am outraged at this revelation. I suggest that the only thing we can do to combat this cancer on our society is to kick out all the foreigners immediately. I say we start with the black people, and work backwards through the different levels of blackness until there are only white British people left. Who's with me?

I'm in. It's the only way.

Eastern European shoplifters. That one Asian who stole a pen from the bank. Are these the people you want teaching your children? Absolute monsters. Put them in barrels and kick them out to sea, for a safer Britain.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'm in. It's the only way.

Eastern European shoplifters. That one Asian who stole a pen from the bank. Are these the people you want teaching your children? Absolute monsters. Put them in barrels and kick them out to sea, for a safer Britain.

Come on, this is totally unfair. We should throw the barrels in a river instead. If the barrel floats, then it proves that they were paedo rapist terrorists in whatever godforsaken shithole country they crawled over from. If they sink, well then...they're the bravest heroes of them all.

• Upvote 1

The reason for using the word compulsary is because the way it stands at the moment the CRB check only covers time in the UK and the employer is then responsible for contacting the overseas information service to obtain the police records from that country. However this is not mandatory and is therefore not done. I am petitioning for the government to make this check compulsary and not up to the employer.

The problem is - which countries do you check? Someone could live in Poland and be locked up in Germany' date=' yet this wouldn't show on a Polish records check. Polish criminal records checks also only show the last 10 years regardless of the severity of the crime - even raping a child wouldn't show up if it was committed more than 10 years ago. So there's another huge loophole - and there's nothing that anyone can do about it.

Or a Maltese person could have abused several children as a minor (under 21 years old) and yet come up clean on their criminal records check as it's not allowed for them to list any crimes that occured as a minor.

The whole loophole of not having data just shows the entire CRB system to be a total mess from start to finish.

would imagine (but I don't know, so don't shout at me) that most people working in a nursery/school/special needs area/or just anyone who may be considered vunerable would need to have a full UK work permit and as such would have been vetted before they were allowed to work in such a capacity. Same goes for people working in a position of authority or trust.

Most EU nationals don't need a work permit, and while the A8 countries need to be registered under the WRS, this is nothing but a statistical formality. They definitely don't do any police checks when applying for the Worker Registration Scheme. Bulgarians and Romanians still need a work permit, but this will change soon. People from the original 15 can just walk in freely and work tomorrow, no questions asked.

Incidentally, for genuinely sensitive positions, they're restricted to UK born individuals only who have never lived abroad. Baggage handlers aren't particularly important - they get screened thoroughly, just as everyone else.