aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

I saw them at Leeds Met Uni in 2002 I think it was. There was a guy who travelled the world seeing Fugazi shows and wrote about every one of them on livejournal or whatever (though it's now been deleted!). He said that the one in Leeds was the worst one he'd ever seen, in 12+ years of trotting about the world to see them.

So yeah, that's just fucking peachy isn't it?

Guest idol_wild
I saw them at Leeds Met Uni in 2002 I think it was. There was a guy who travelled the world seeing Fugazi shows and wrote about every one of them on livejournal or whatever (though it's now been deleted!). He said that the one in Leeds was the worst one he'd ever seen, in 12+ years of trotting about the world to see them.

Did he care to say why?

Guest idol_wild
Something along the lines of a strange, mostly mellow setlist and alot of improvised pottering about. It's kind of true. They didn't play many of the more raucous songs. They did play Bed For The Scraping and Smallpox Champion though, so it was still great for me.

Ah right, so he had nothing against Leeds, the venue or the audience? Just the setlist. I'd hate a mellow Fugazi show.

I almost moved to Leeds. Cool story, bro.

So yeah, that's just fucking peachy isn't it?

'Twas the 31st of October 2002 according to the download of the whole gig I apparently have in my iTunes library. Can get a copy to you if you so desire...even though it was apparently the worst gig in 12 years. Sounds tip top to me.

I think you can hear some cunt shouting "mint" between songs.

'Twas the 31st of October 2002 according to the download of the whole gig I apparently have in my iTunes library. Can get a copy to you if you so desire...even though it was apparently the worst gig in 12 years. Sounds tip top to me.

I think you can hear some cunt shouting "mint" between songs.

Just looked at the setlist now, as its been released as part of that epic live series a la Pearl Jam. It looks more 'rocking' than I remember.

Dischord Records: Fugazi - Leeds, UK Oct 31, 2002

I might even buy it. That'd be outlandish, but justified.

Some might argue that having CRASS in a thread about musical rediscovery is a bit of a contradiction in terms but tough tatties.

I recently bought the Feeding Of The 5000 remaster (ha!) as my scratchy old vinyl copy has been nigh on unplayable for some time. That first re-listening to the thing as a whole in many years just knocked me out. What a truly striking record it is.

I've since gone and given a spin to (the less scratchy) Stations and Penis Envy albums and a few of the singles again. I think I may well like the band more now than I did in the 70s/80s.

Guest idol_wild
I'm right into the Twilight Sad just now.

Did you hear their session on 6Music last night? It wasn't bad, though a band like that can lose some of their impetus when they do live radio sessions. But the new single, The Wrong Car, sounded absolutely fucking beastin'.

I hope this band do not go away for a long time. Unlike most contemporary bands, they seem to be improving as they age. That second record wipes the floor with the first one.

I'm right into the Twilight Sad just now.

In an effort to listen to stuff I have been neglecting Ive got into the habit of loading my iShuffle up with numerous albums by a particular band. This week its all the Twilight Sad EPs and albums. Naturally there was a bit of repetition over the first few releases but they are so good.

Lined next the entire Chameleons back catalogue and The Cure from Seventeen Seconds to Disintegration