aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

Listening to 'Megatop Phoenix' by Big Audio Dynamite. Had forgotten how utterly awesome this album is.

Was also listening to 'Sonic Flower Groove' by Primal Scream and 'The Shop Assistants' by The Shop Assistants earlier so bit of an 80's thing going on here at HQ!

Good call on the Caberat Voltaire, 'Red Mecca' is probably my fave album of theirs although they never did anything shite in my opinion. Think some Cabs might be on the cards later!

Pulp. Really into Pulp again just now.

Probably last great musical rediscovery being that Different Class was the first album I ever got, for my birthday back in 95/96 and then I went off them because we all got too Americanised in the intervening years to like anyone connected to Britpop. Then they became one of my favourite bands again in about 2005.

I don't really count it a rediscovery unless I previously liked the band myself, but if we're counting bands who were just largely forgotten in general then The Triffids are a big 'un for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone
Incesticide is good. has a few guff tracks, but its mostly rocking. The Vaselines covers are pretty great, and Dive is one of my favourite Nirvana songs. The first half of Nevermind gets alot of skipping from me, just because I've heard the singles way way too much.

I haven't delved into much REM beyond Document. The albums I've heard seem to have the stand out poppy singles, but alot of strange songs that don't even sound like Stipe singing. Is New Adventures... the strongest of the major label output?

Majorly old comment, but just reading through this thread cos I'm bored...

I went through a massive REM stage, probably about 10 years ago, buying all their old albums, and your assessment is bang on. 2 or 3 great pop single-tastic songs, and then a load of weird songs that take a lot of getting into. I haven't listened to any REM for years. I may give the old albums a whirl again. Monster is a pretty good album if I recall correctly. Automatic For The People gets all the plaudits, and it is pretty good, but I haven't had an inkling to listen to it for ages. I wish I had my ipod on me right now, so I could just pretend I was working and listen to old albums all day.

As for my recent discoveries:

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, It's What I'm Not

Fratellis - Costello Music

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

Good call on Killing Joke, my favourite of their early albums is 'Revelations' must dig out some of those early records.

Having a Cabaret Voltaire phase right now. Rediscovering what a fantastic band they were from the early experimental stuff to the more commercial stuff in the 80's and 90's but they never ever lost their cutting edge and were always ahead of the game. Bloody marvellous band.

Arcwelder, a band on Touch and Go records that I discovered a few years back. Been listening to the 3 albums I have, Xerxes, Everest and Entropy. Have also just spotted an earlier album, Pull going cheap on Amazon. Mine. Remind me at times of Fugazi, later-period Meat Puppets and Husker Du (if they didnt sound like they had been recorded using a shitty 70s tape deck).

I gave The Argument by Fugazi a spin on the way to work this morning. I don't listen to it much, as I tend to listen to loud music when I'm out and about, otherwise I can hear traffic, screaming babies and other peoples shite conversations. I also usually listen to Killtaker or Repeater when in a Fugazi mood, because they are rocking. I'd forgotten quite how good The Argument is. The guitar sound is brilliant too. I love the tone on the opening riff of the song after the untitled intro.

Guy sounds a bit like Johnny Rotten on Full Disclosure. Foot stomping chorus.

So many killer grooves throughout. Lally and Canty are the best rhythm section.

I gave The Argument by Fugazi a spin on the way to work this morning. I don't listen to it much, as I tend to listen to loud music when I'm out and about, otherwise I can hear traffic, screaming babies and other peoples shite conversations. I also usually listen to Killtaker or Repeater when in a Fugazi mood, because they are rocking. I'd forgotten quite how good The Argument is. The guitar sound is brilliant too. I love the tone on the opening riff of the song after the untitled intro.

Life and Limb is a groove and a half.

The Argument was the first Fugazi album I ever bought because it was mega cheap in One Up when it came out and I had decided to investigate them after reading some positive stuff about them. For some reason I had had it in my head they were some crappy funk rock band like the Chilli Peppers or something. I think I maybe mixed them up with Fishbone. I was a bit pissed off to find they were actually great and collected up all the albums dead cheap through some dude on here who lived in Edinburgh. I was even more pissed off to discover they played at The Lemon Tree at one point.

But in short 'The Argument' is still one of my favourite Fugazi albums alongside 'Repeater' and '13 Songs'. Although none of the albums are truly bad.

Guest idol_wild
I was even more pissed off to discover they played at The Lemon Tree at one point.

Don't be pissed off - apparently the crowd was full of straight edge kids who were more concerned with scowling at the alcohol consumers, rather than enjoying the band they apparently loved.

Straight edge is for pooves.

Don't be pissed off - apparently the crowd was full of straight edge kids who were more concerned with scowling at the alcohol consumers, rather than enjoying the band they apparently loved.

Straight edge is for pooves.

I was there and had no concept of what straight edge meant so didn't notice.

It was fucking incredible (17 years old, favourite band playing in home city) and anyone who wasn't there should be pissed off.

Guest idol_wild
I was there and had no concept of what straight edge meant so didn't notice.

It was fucking incredible (17 years old, favourite band playing in home city) and anyone who wasn't there should be pissed off.

Here, I'm trying to make myself (and others) feel better about the fact we were oblivious that Fugazi came and played in our nearest town. And then you come along, whap out your schnide, and piss all over it.

Damn you.