aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

Incesticide is good. has a few guff tracks, but its mostly rocking. The Vaselines covers are pretty great, and Dive is one of my favourite Nirvana songs. The first half of Nevermind gets alot of skipping from me, just because I've heard the singles way way too much.

I haven't delved into much REM beyond Document. The albums I've heard seem to have the stand out poppy singles, but alot of strange songs that don't even sound like Stipe singing. Is New Adventures... the strongest of the major label output?

I haven't delved into much REM beyond Document. The albums I've heard seem to have the stand out poppy singles, but alot of strange songs that don't even sound like Stipe singing. Is New Adventures... the strongest of the major label output?

I guess it depends what you want from an REM album. New Adventures is a bit more experimental than the maudlin Automatic For The People or the very dark poppy Monster. I like them all though. Some people would say that Out Of Time and Green are their best years on majors, i wouldn't though.

Other blasts from the past that I'd forgotten about years ago and have recently dredged up and enjoyed:

Terrorvision - How To Make Friends And Influence People

Screaming Trees - Dust

Nada Surf - High/Low

I have listened to How to Make Friends and Dust in the past couple of months. How to Make Friends was an obsession of mine when I was in my early teens. I didn't think I'd enjoy it again but I listened start to finish. Funny how you can remember lyrics from songs you haven't heard for over a decade. "Ten Shades of Grey" is a quality song.

I think I enjoyed Dust more recently than I did back in the day as I was never really a fan. "Halo of Ashes", "Witness" and "All I Know" stand out for me.

Bought High/Low recently having been a fan of Nada Surf for years and never owning it. Quality.

For me also, Bran Van 3000's Glee, a forgotten masterpiece. :up:

A few old cheesy old 'eens I've listened to recently, and enjoyed immensely:

Mama Said - Lenny Kravitz

Pump - Aerosmith

Wild Wood - Paul Weller

Pump particularly is rammed with belting tunes. Young Lust has got to be the most played song on my iPod at the moment. Fuckin' great. :rockon:

Can't really claim to have "rediscovered" Nirvana, as I haven't stopped listening to them since the early 90s.....

Slowdive were absolutely fantastic, Souvlaki is an amazing album.

Yeah, Slowdive were on of those bands I knew were about in the early 90s but couldn't ever get round to hearing apart from say 5 seconds here or there on the Chart Show. Nice to be able to go back and listen now.

Same with the New Fads.

I'm liking all the Nirvana appreciation on here, I was starting to get a feeling I was as per usual hideously out of date still liking them. I recently put all their albums back to back on my I Shuffle for travelling to/from work, hadn't listened to them in ages and enjoyed it muchly. I still think 'Unplugged in New York' is amazing, the stripped down versions of their own songs are great as it is but the covers are also immense.

Also good to see some New Fast Automatic Daffodils appreciation, their first 2 albums 'Pigeonhole' and 'Exit Body Exit Mind' get fairly frequent resurrections my way, one of the lesser known Madchester era bands but still sound far fresher than most of the others.

I recently listened to The Ramones 'Rocket to Russia' for the first time in years, it's still their best album IMHO.

Also revisit 'Love' by The Cult fairly often, I've been listening since my teens and it's still a great album, doesn't sound of it's time either unlike a lot of 80's alternative stuff. 'Psychocandy' by the Jesus and Mary Chain also falls into the same category.

Had 'Raise' by Swervedriver on the other week, a bit rockier than most of their shoegazing counterparts but highly recommended for fans of fuzzed up indie rock.

A house move at the beginning of the year saw lots of CD's MIA in various boxes, I've finally got them unpacked and found various gems I haven't listened to in ages including -

Lo Fidelity Allstars ~ 'How to Operate With A Blown Mind'

DJ Shadow ~ 'Endtroducing'

Money Mark ~ 'Push the Button'

The Herbaliser Band ~ 'Session One'. 'Session Two' just been released I see, need to get hold of.

Marilyn Manson ~ 'Mechanical Animals'

Reverend Horton Heat ~ 'The Full Custom Gospel Sounds of'

I feel hideously out of date too. Things from the 90's just sounded so much better, from the way the songs are put together, to how authentic the recordings sound. Alot of music just sounds too slick and computerized now. I think it's why I'm digging the new Japandroids record right now. It's rough and sounds hideous, but is pure pop genius at the best of times.

nice to see Slowdive and the New Fad's getting some recognition on this board! i listened to the New Fad's 'Body Exit Mind' on Spotify the other day and it still sounds awesome today! just looked at their wikipedia page and it says they've been talking about maybe doing a few gigs but as you know info on wiki is never the best source!

there was a lot of good bands around then - ride, loop, moose, chapterhouse, northside, early charlatans, inspiral carpets, ultra vivid scene, birdland, the triffids, early cornershop... i could go on! been listening to a fair amount of early cornershop having recently purchased their new album.

On a different note, do you ever spin an old album that you used to love, only to realise that it's utter shite? I put on "Greased" by Less Than Jake the other week, which I used to listen to almost every day back in about 2001/2002, and nowadays it's total fucking gash. I almost threw it out the car window, until I realised it was on my iPod and that would have been expensive. In fact I've come to the realisation that Less Than Jake are actually a bit shit.

Less Than Jake are actually a bit shit.

I read this in slow motion, whilst mouthing a deep, baritone "NOOOOOOOO" like if I were diving away from an impending explosion.

I do agree, Greased is terrible. I never really liked it. It's a bit of a novelty and it wasn't done very well. I did like their occasional covers of old TV show themes, but one per album is enough. A whole album of tacky covers is a bit grating.

I still like Less Than Jake. They were my first love, and even though I can't stand the thought of ska-punk nowadays, I still adore them. Anthem and the one after Anthem were turd. Everything else is great. The latest one is the best one in ages. Ten years ago next month is when I first saw them. Good times.

So, you're wrong. We'll fight over it. Bareknuckle. In a Car Park.

Been on a massive Modest Mouse binge recently...got a few of their albums a few years back, but, while I dug it, it didnae have a massive effect on me.

Now, however, I absolutely can't get enough of them. I've been listening to them more than The Waterboys and Wilco combined, which is pretty mental for me

On a different note, do you ever spin an old album that you used to love, only to realise that it's utter shite? I put on "Greased" by Less Than Jake the other week, which I used to listen to almost every day back in about 2001/2002, and nowadays it's total fucking gash. I almost threw it out the car window, until I realised it was on my iPod and that would have been expensive. In fact I've come to the realisation that Less Than Jake are actually a bit shit.

I have two JJ72 albums, TWO OF THEM! I don't know what I was thinking...

• 8 months later...

Yesterday I was browsing through my iPod looking for some old pish to take it off to clear up some space and I came across two Garbage albums. Now I was a big Garbage fan back in the 90s, but it must have been 11 or 12 years since I last listened to them, and in my mind they had become slightly rubbish and very dated. But for old time sake I played their first album. Holy fuck, it blew me away even more than it used to back in the 90s. What a fucking superb album, excellent tunes and produced perfectly. I've since listened to it three times, and listened to their second album once, and ordered their third and fourth from Amazon.

Bring back Garbage I say, in all their cornflake-shitting glory.