aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

Did you hear their session on 6Music last night? It wasn't bad, though a band like that can lose some of their impetus when they do live radio sessions. But the new single, The Wrong Car, sounded absolutely fucking beastin'.

I hope this band do not go away for a long time. Unlike most contemporary bands, they seem to be improving as they age. That second record wipes the floor with the first one.

I was listening to that last night. I think they lose the layered sensation of their music live but make up for it with more noise.

I agree, in comparison the first record is good but a little dull. I wasn't that bothered with it when it came out so when the second album came out i brushed it off as more of the same but it was certainly not like that at all. I think it's fantastic.

This very morning I've rediscovered the Andrew WK album I Get Wet from 2001. Often lampooned at the time as I recall, it still sounds fantastic today in my humble and irrelivant opinion! Also dug out some Ramones today. By jove they were good! Still are actually even if most of the ex members are sadly dead now.

Guest idol_wild
Agreed, the new Twilight Sad stuff is sounding decent. I'm liking the remixes by Mogwai and Errors too.

Not so keen on the remix stuff. Remixes are frustrating sometimes.

Reflection of the Television is a perfect song, why change it? Pfft.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having a major Wedding Present phase especially Seamonsters which still sounds as fresh as the day I purchased a copy on cassette when it came out in 1991. Bed-wettingly excited about going to see them on the Bizarro 21st anniversary tour in London in December!

Pearl Jam, forgot how good they are. They are probably best known for their early stuff ("Ten" and "Vs") but they have been consistently brilliant for about 20 years now. Their latest album "Backspacer" was probably their worst but its still not a bad album by any means. I think everyone should listen to albums like "No Control", "Yield" and "Riot Act." Probably three of my favourite albums. Such a varied sound through all 9 albums but still absolute quality with every one. Their live albums are fucking ace too.

Pearl Jam, forgot how good they are. They are probably best known for their early stuff ("Ten" and "Vs") but they have been consistently brilliant for about 20 years now. Their latest album "Backspacer" was probably their worst but its still not a bad album by any means. I think everyone should listen to albums like "No Control", "Yield" and "Riot Act." Probably three of my favourite albums. Such a varied sound through all 9 albums but still absolute quality with every one. Their live albums are fucking ace too.

Oddly enough, I've done the same this week, bought "Touring Band 2000" DVD off Alkaline and watched it Monday night and have been listening to Pearl Jam all week off the back of it. Ten and Vs are still classic albums, Yield and Vitalogy very close on their heels. Never could get into No Code though, and I pretty much gave up on them after Binaural.

Never could get into No Code though, and I pretty much gave up on them after Binaural.

No way!! Binaural aint their best either I suppose but Riot Act is possibly my favourite. No Code has some weaker songs but it is otherwise fantastic. Possibly their most varied album in terms on the difference between the songs on it and Stone Gossard even sings one!! Do one thing for me, listen to Riot Act.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...